Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here have personal experience ordering the NGK iridium plugs on amazon? Worried about the annoyance of receiving counterfeits, although if they’re legit I much prefer their price tag. Thanks

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,071 Posts
I've ordered plugs through Amazon which have proven fine. But that's a different vehicle and type of plug.

How do their prices compare with say Rockauto?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Google “fake ngk plugs”, the minor details I remember are lack of ngk website on the packaging, dull looking finish on the box, the metal washer/gasket on the plug fitting loosely, branding on the plug being over centered/generally janky. From what I read they can really do a number on your engine so def be careful!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Be sure you also check the ceramic part for damage when they arrive. Usually the counterfeit ones will have unscrewable terminal nut. Unless they have an application that requires that the nut be removed & use of the threaded bolt. I believe that the NGK.com has a section on how to ID a counterfeit. Amazon won't be definitely selling any counterfeit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got em, $25 or so I think. back in sept I did. had to gap them a bit to get em closer to .040 but I guess they're fine?! car runs, idles, drives....didn't even know there was an issue with fake ones.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yep, I just found out that the NGK spark plugs I received way back in October of 2018 were FAKE, which makes sense. I mean does anyone seriously think they're going to get (4) NGK spark plugs that retail for $15/ea. for $21 total, which is the current price? I ended up ordering some genuine NGK sprak plugs from Advanced Auto.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yep, I just found out that the NGK spark plugs I received way back in October of 2018 were FAKE, which makes sense. I mean does anyone seriously think they're going to get (4) NGK spark plugs that retail for $15/ea. for $21 total, which is the current price? I ended up ordering some genuine NGK sprak plugs from Advanced Auto.
Amazon is getting just as bad as Ebay for fake items. Sometimes you just got to pay a little more and get them from a reputable place!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Like others, I've ordered many different auto parts (including Spark Plugs) from Amazon. Always had great luck with their products. And for the products that didn't work properly (like from shipping damage), I send them back - for full replacement (and return shipping is on their dime).

Note: For Spark plugs, some plugs are pre-gapped at factory. Before using, best to double/check their gap. This is done using a simple low cost spark plug gapping tool. Thus, you might want to buy gapping tool (if reasonable cost at Amazon) as well...

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I don't trust Amazon, ebay is a mixed bag. It's not worth saving $15 on plugs that will run 100k miles.
Big difference between Amazon and eBay though:

User reviews are great for identifying scammers.

Amazon return policy is much easier to deal with. Just stick with "Fullfilled by Amazon" and your golden.

I try to buy local when I can but for a Honda (or any import really) parts houses charge almost double for the exact same part used in an American branded vehicle. Amazon or other online source doesn't play that game near as much. You basically get screwed for having a "Honda" badge. Except Honda creates more American job per vehicle than the domestic brands.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts