Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This makes maintenance easy, installing Fumoto valve(s) today on our 2016 Touring models

No more covers to take off, totally hands free oil change

·
Registered
75 Posts
This makes maintenance easy, installing Fumoto valve(s) today on our 2016 Touring models

No more covers to take off, totally hands free oil change
My 09 doesn't have any covers to take off either :p

I personally am not a fan of Fumoto valves. Besides the fact that they take much longer to completely drain, more oil also remains inside the oil pan due to the threads of the valve protruding into the pan.

It might make sense if you were driving 20,000+ miles a year and needed several oil changes per year, but for someone doing 10k miles a year or less, how hard is it to loosen a drain bolt once or twice a year? Tighten it back on with a torque wrench and you'll never worry about over-tightening it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was tempted by what seemed like a great idea... Then the realization that any residual particles in the bottom of the pan would probably never come out had me giving up on the Fumoto idea. Too bad.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I thought about that valve, but i held myself and did not do it.

I think it might be some oil in the pan at the end. also i am afraid that valve might fail and my oil come out while driving.

I change my oil two a year since i dont drive that much

·
Everything in Moderation
7,729 Posts
Some folks use an extraction pump to remove the old oil through the dipstick hole. Would this allow yukky stuff to stay in the pan? Remember, no matter what method, you are supposed to remove the old oil WARM (soon after the engine was run), so that dirt is held in suspension.

I know a guy who has done that on his cars for 10 years, still no issues.

(No flames please, I still do it the old fashioned way.) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Fumoto valves are popular with some who take oil samples for analysis without a complete drain and fill. I'm certainly not a fan of the extraction method. I try to drain it as hot as I can stand; heck just let the plug drop and dig it out when it's cooled some.
Kevin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts