Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On our '08 EX there's a niche on the right wall of the cargo area. Not useful for storing anything, really. What's it for? My old '98 Forester had useful storage areas on the left and right side (I like the CR-V much better).

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Unknown Niche

I noticed that too and wondered. Have no idea. There are also tracks and indentations at the base of the rear windows that look as though they have a purpose, cargo cover perhaps?

My spiritual adviser for automotive affairs just bought a new Forester. It has some well thought out storage. The compartments above the spare tire were kind of neat, but at the cost of vertical cargo room. His console has removable partitions that allow one to configure the console storage in a variety of ways. Totally envious of the front leg room (length), but the knee sprawl (width) fails due to a full lenth console. I don't like the shifter and and hand brake in the console either. I will say though that if I were in the market today, I would take a much better look at the Forester than I did last year. Lest I be accused of treason, the angels did sing, shafts of heavenly light, passed through the moonroof and placed blue halos around the speedometer and tach, and the giant voice (that only I could hear) said "This is the one!" Ergo buying today I would still get a CR-V. Last year I could of got a 2 grand rebate on either the Forester or Outback (can't remember), I didn't get crap off the CR-V, although the Honda dealers were exceedingly polite in offering extremely lousy deals.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Subaru problems

(snip) My spiritual adviser for automotive affairs just bought a new Forester. (snip) I will say though that if I were in the market today, I would take a much better look at the Forester than I did last year. (snip) Ergo buying today I would still get a CR-V. Last year I could of got a 2 grand rebate on either the Forester or Outback (can't remember), I didn't get crap off the CR-V, although the Honda dealers were exceedingly polite in offering extremely lousy deals.
We bought a 20K mile '98 Forester and sold it with 77K miles. I drove it off road many times and it did well. HOWEVER I always hated the "feel" of its boxer engine, especially after owning smooooth engined 240K mile Civic and 160K mile Integra. We also hated the clutch engagement chatter (esp compared to Honda poducts, blah,blah), which is common ... the problems with rear wheel bearings, which are common ... and the threat of leaking head gaskets (NOTE: two heads on a boxer!), which is apparently common. I felt like I was driving a ticking time bomb and I sold it before it "exploded."

Since the '09 Forester still has the tickety-tickety boxer engine and I'm afraid that the common clutch chatter, wheel bearing and head gasket problems have NOT been solved, I couldn't take a chance on the '09 Forester (although it's a nice piece) and bought a new '08 CR-V EX AWD instead and could NOT be happier since it's exceeding our expectations.

By the way ... unlike most folks, a major requirement for our cars is that they be manufacturer certified as "towable four down" ... as we do behind our motorhome. We haven't towed the CR-V yet but many others are towed successfully.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Towing a CR-V

By the way ... unlike most folks, a major requirement for our cars is that they be manufacturer certified as "towable four down" ... as we do behind our motorhome. We haven't towed the CR-V yet but many others are towed successfully.
VERY IMPORTANT! When towing a CRV behind a motor be sure to read the cautions in the owner manual (page 267 & 268 of the 2008 Manual). There are a couple of things that you must do such as have the key in the accessory position, they give you a maximum speed, and there is a little procedure they want you to run through daily. Also it is imperative that you note this:

Severe transmission damage will occur
if the vehicle is shifted from reverse to
neutral and then towed with the drive
wheels on the ground.

From page 268 of the 2008 owner's manual. Always go from drive to neutral. Also they shorten the interval for transmission fluid changes if you tow it a lot.

Please read understand your manual before you tow your CR-V.

·
Registered
37 Posts
On our '08 EX there's a niche on the right wall of the cargo area. Not useful for storing anything, really. What's it for? My old '98 Forester had useful storage areas on the left and right side (I like the CR-V much better).
The GEN1 has a niche in the same spot. However, on it, the bottom half has a cover, making it a handy place to store a couple of rags.

With the GEN3, there's no cover, so there's no way to store anything in it. The only function for it I can see is to add to the calculated storage capacity of the new model.

Did you notice the interesting "storage" space under the hood on the firewall?

·
Registered
427 Posts
That makes perfect sense. All along I've been telling myself Honda knew I'd want to fiberglass a custom sub enclosure right there, and that space would help with the required air space for the speaker.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Did you notice the interesting "storage" space under the hood on the firewall?
That space with the drop-down door is access to the ventilation pasage way. I was happy to find it when it came to removing the dead mouse that stunk to high heaven when ever the vent blower was on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts