Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, 2015 Odyessy had a registration card in the vehicle info package for NitroFill, does this mean my tires are filled with Nitrogen? If so how can I tell? I suppose I can go back to the dealer and see what they say.
Geo

·
Registered
197 Posts
The custom with nitrogen fills is to add a green valve cap. If you don't have those, your tires are almost certainly air-filled. I had my former vehicle serviced this one time and they thought they were doing me some grand favor by filling the tires with nitrogen (I think that might have been when I got a new set of tires from Costco), but all it ever got me was unwanted questions on subsequent services regarding my insistence upon using air in a tire with a green valve cap.

Personally I fill my tires with a 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, 1% argon mix.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have all that info and was able to set up an account but don't see any indication on the valve stems,I will check with the dealer and see what they say,I certainly won't be paying for it.
Geo

·
Registered
776 Posts
I seem to remember that at one time, it was supposed to reduce deterioration of the rubber !!! I suspect it might - in your lifetime. Snake oil IMO. Craig

·
Registered
868 Posts
When I was buying my last CRV, the sales guy added a $299 charge ( I think it was $299) for nitro plus some kind of additional tire warranty. When I asked what that was, he said all new vehicles come with that. So I asked if that is how they came from the Honda factory. He said no, but all new vehicles get that. So I replied that mine does not. I'm buying it the way it came from Honda. Take it out of my tires or I'll go somewhere else. Just another dealer add-on.

Not sure if they actually took it out or just replaced the valve caps. I don't really care. What is wrong with people to just accept these extras? Buy them they way they're built. If Honda wants to add nitro at the factory and hide the cost somewhere in the price, fine.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
The air we breath has 78% +/- Nitrogen. The addition of just a little more is not of significance. Auto dealers who advocate the use of Nitrogen into tires are not doing so for the benefit of the auto owners. It is another unscrupulous method of trying to separate hard earned dollars into cash in their pockets. Bottom line....the Nitro into tires gimmick won't hurt, but won't help either (except perhaps for the balance sheet of a few dealers). I am glad to know that there are auto dealers who are honest and reputable people who actually care for their customers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts