Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the dealer has "add-ons" on the new vechicles. One is Nitrogen in the tires-for $ 199.00 really? Ok lets take this apart. I called the welding shop- a 300cu.ft tank of nitrogen is $29.00, and that includes the price of the rental for a month. So $30.00 for 300cu.ft .A 15" x 9" tire (google) takes 4.8 cu.ft @ 30 PSI. Lets say 5 cu.ft. The way I see it you can fill 60 tires for $30.00 Thats $2.00 a tire. total $ 8.00 for you vechicle (none in donut). If that is not bad enough -come winter time the straight nitrogen expands/contracts less than compressed air. The air we breath is about 78%<> nitrogen, some oxygen,Co2, traces of what ever else. Compressing that is what usually goes in your tire. Any advantages? Dealer says (points to sign) better fuel economy, lower carbon footprint. Well the way I see it if you keep the tires aired up properly the milage should be the same. lower carbon foot print? compressed air is already around us-where is the extra carbon VS nitrogen? Anyway I got a laugh out of this. Beware least you get $200.00 added on for $8.00 worth of nitrogen. Oh I forgot they put these cheap lime green valve stem caps on in place of the black ones. Maybe that makes it all better!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Even without the research you did $200 would just seem plain insane. I could never go back to patronize a place that made an attempt to rip off customers like that.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Even without the research you did $200 would just seem plain insane. I could never go back to patronize a place that made an attempt to rip off customers like that.
I 2nd that! :mad:

·
Registered
705 Posts
Wow! That is a lot. I thought nitrogen in the tires was to decrease the road noise, but maybe I was mistaken. Regardless that price is unreal.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,912 Posts
Even without the research you did $200 would just seem plain insane.
^^^ Tell that to the folks who get upset when the TPMS light goes on when the mornings are cool. :rolleyes:

++++++++++

I agree, its a ripoff, but there are a LOT of Topics about TPMS problems. The stability of Nitrogen helps. Around here, Costco uses nitrogen when they fill new tires, no additional charge.

·
Registered
704 Posts
A total, utter, and complete rip-off (in my personal opinion).

Excellent article on this subject here: http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/should-you-fill-your-cars-tires-with-nitrogen.html

I would walk away from a deal before I paid for *any* unwanted dealer add-ons. This includes nitrogen in tires, clear coat, undercoat, fabric protection, etc.

I even go so far as to tell the dealer I want them to pay *me* $20/month to advertise their dealership unless they remove the dealer emblem they added to the car (only had one dealer object to doing this).

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This seems to be a new trend at most all new car dealerships. If you contest it as part of the sale -the first thing they say is Ok, we will spilt it with you-hows $100.00 ? They are still $92.00 ahead if you agree. I bought a new 2014 CRV. I told them" No add ons" if you want the nitrogen back -evacuate it with your a/c station. If this is holding up the deal-they will wave it. remember they will try to get you on these (3) things when buying a new vechicle. Price of your trade in, MSRP, financing. FWIW selling your car out right gets the most $$$, however most new car dealers have a web site that YOU can check the cost of YOUR trade in. In my case that was $$2500.00 difference than their inital offer. next is MSRP. there is approx $ 3000.00-$3500.00 of fluff on a $25k vechicle and they STILL will make a profit. Lastly -the financing. They offer good rates if you qualify. To get the best-go through your own credit union. I got 1.62%. Typically it takes 3-4hrs of haggeling to get your price down-which includes you threating to leave and see dealer xxx. it's all a game, and they are well trained. This nitrogen thing is just another item to suck more money-or haggle over. I enjoy throwing facts like this at them-just to see their reaction $ 8.00 worth of nitrogen for $200.00? I was waiting for the -ahh it's special nitrogen!

·
Everything in Moderation
7,912 Posts
Well, FWIW, our local Honda dealer didn't play the "Add-On" game, and we bought both our V and our Fit from them. Honda of Sussex, Newton, NJ

PS Their dealer stickers came off really easy, also. :eek:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here in Northern Virginia, dealerships will tag on another $350-500 fee called "Processing Fee". It is a pure profit for the dealership.

A total, utter, and complete rip-off (in my personal opinion).

Excellent article on this subject here: http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/should-you-fill-your-cars-tires-with-nitrogen.html

I would walk away from a deal before I paid for *any* unwanted dealer add-ons. This includes nitrogen in tires, clear coat, undercoat, fabric protection, etc.

I even go so far as to tell the dealer I want them to pay *me* $20/month to advertise their dealership unless they remove the dealer emblem they added to the car (only had one dealer object to doing this).

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
434 Posts
There is no real-world reason to pay for nitrogen on a street vehicle. "Air" is about 3/4 nitrogen anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I purchased my CR-V back in '06, I turned down all the add-ons, which in retrospect was a wise idea (I would have gotten nothing out of the extended warranty, for instance). When I told the finance lady that I passed on the add-ons, she responded "You aren't going to give us anything". That sort of reminded me of something a panhandler would say.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nitrogen in automobile tires is a gimmick. Paying for it is a ripoff.

The idea for using nitrogen isn't for the nitrogen per se. The idea is to fill the tire with a "dry" gas (with no water vapor).

It's the water vapor in the air-mixture in tires that undergoes the greatest change in volume (or pressure if volume is constant).

Over the temperature range tires experience, gasses (nitrogen, oxygen, whatever) don't expand or contract nearly as much as water will. A small amount of liquid/solid water expands quite a bit when it transitions to gas phase.

Nitrogen is used in aircraft/spacecraft tires because of the rapid heating that occurs when the tires hit the runway. The tires (and any water inside them) are extremely cold then suddenly quite hot. Tire blowouts when landing are reduced dramatically by using DRY nitrogen gas. It's important that the gas not be contaminated by water vapor.

If it's provided for free, no worries, but paying for it is a ripoff.

Tanks of gasses come in different grades and are priced accordingly. Is the tank being used actually dry nitrogen? If not, does it have a drying column attached?

Is the tire itself being purged properly to ensure all the original air is removed before the final nitrogen fill?

Sorry to rant, I just hate hearing about these kinds of ripoffs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Many places that do this in bulk have nitrogen recovery systems that separate it out of the air now. As mentioned above, it's most useful for high-temp critical applications and also it reduces the possibility of moisture-related damage to TPMS sensors on vehicles so equipped, but considering that these have sealed batteries and a finite life, the battery will likely die first.

·
Registered
507 Posts
A nitrogen surcharge is primary used to lighten things, like your wallet or bank account. But it can increase your car payment too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts