Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 SE Sport Automatic
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UK car.
Car, FSH, bought for road trip; had serviced, including AC re-gas, summer 2019.
Car drove well but AC conked in France. Opened windows til Italy. Ford garage ‘refilled’ AC, conked 10 minutes later but ferry to catch so windows open.
In Greece, garage diagnosed sufficient freon, so thought it was probably a blockage. No time for lengthy fault finding, so left it. Opened windows.

After 1 year and 6k car back in UK for MOT servicing etc. Coolant leak sorted, now looking to reinstate AC.

Here’s what I know/what I’ve done from looking at posts here:

Checked AC switch ‘green’ when depressed, it is

No clutch/compressor noise or engine change when AC switched on

Neither fan activates when AC switch depressed

Checked the relays under the bonnet by swapping with the ‘good’ horn relay, all relays are good.

Checked the fuses in the same fuse box associated with AC and fans, all appear sound.

Today I’ll jumper the fans to check motor.

Can anyone confirm:

The fans will not work at all, at any time, if the AC does not work.

Even if the AC does not work, the radiator fan will activate if the temp sensor kicks in...

In a uk car, from the drivers seat, which one is the radiator fan?

Any more suggestions as to where else I should look? I have limited experience of cars and no experience of Vs but am willing to learn and have a go.

Thanks
Ez

·
Registered
30 Posts
Welcome to the site EZ. We need to work on your fans FIRST; so you don't fry your engine. The engine cooling fan is the fatter thicker one; drivers side in the states - passenger side in UK. You'll need an old lamp cord and a couple of spade connectors. Remove the radiator cover and you should see the power wire connectors on top/along the fan shroud. Unplug the fan and plug your wire with spade connectors in. make sure your bare wires or connectors are not touching or in the pathway of the fan blades. Strip back the other end of the lamp cord and connect it directly to the battery. Fan should start spinning; your bypassing the switches, thermostat and powering the fan directly. 12VDC battery power won't hurt you, but will arc and spark if you cross bare wires. If nothing happens and your sure the connectors are solid - you've got a bad fan. Repeat procedure on your A/C fan. It's not uncommon for these fans to fail. I was able to find a new set of fans on eBay for $75 USD. They are easy to replace; just a lot of dismantling to get to them (see YouTube videos). All you'll need is a 10mm wrench, screwdriver and needle nose pliers.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2006 SE Sport Automatic
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. That’s my job for the weekend. I did manage to check the thermostat is opening using a heat gun.. so I know that the coolant is circulating as it should. I have also isolated my coolant leak. It’s a small drip from the bottom radiator hose. I took the car to Honda dealer today for yet another recall on the air bag shroud... they spotted my leaking radiator hose but I said I’d sort it myself. I bought some shroud ‘poppers’ guessing they will probably break when I remove it to get to the hose... £3.20 for 1 (nearly 5 bucks)!!! Oh my. I bought 6 not thinking... oh well at least I have them spare.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
2007 CRV
20 Posts
Can anyone confirm:

The fans will not work at all, at any time, if the AC does not work.

Even if the AC does not work, the radiator fan will activate if the temp sensor kicks in...
Disconnecting the engine coolant temperature sensor should turn on both fans.
Have seen this with other makes. Not sure about Hondas. It should be a safety thing.

Did you check all the fuses? Done with a test light, it can be done very quickly.
Key on and test light clip to ground. Probe the test points on the fuse.
One test point above each leg of fuse.
If only one side lights up then fuse is blown.
Fuse should be located in the engine bay fuse box.
Sorry to mention this if you have already done it.

The fans are controlled by the PCM as far as I know.
Sorry, (looking at 2007schematics, US)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Disconnecting the engine coolant temperature sensor should turn on both fans.
Have seen this with other makes. Not sure about Hondas. It should be a safety thing.

Did you check all the fuses? Done with a test light, it can be done very quickly.
Key on and test light clip to ground. Probe the test points on the fuse.
One test point above each leg of fuse.
If only one side lights up then fuse is blown.
Fuse should be located in the engine bay fuse box.
Sorry to mention this if you have already done it.

The fans are controlled by the PCM as far as I know.
Sorry, (looking at 2007schematics, US)
If the car is running & the A/C lamp is lit; that should force both fans ON; weather the compressor is running or not. It's part of the PCM control sequence. Running power directly to the fans will determine fan failure or control/wiring/relay issue. If the fan runs when powered directly from the battery; that's when you whip out the test lamp probe and back-track the issue.

EZ, you should buy those shroud 'poppers'/fasteners on-line. I got a pack of 25 for around the same price you paid for 5. I found many of them missing or broken when I removed my plastic bumper cover. I bought my CRV from a guy that had it service at the dealer ONLY; along with all the receipts of all previous work done. I'm frankly surprised by all of the issues missed and the sloppy work performed by the dealership - IMHO, I wouldn't take my car there - ever.

·
Registered
2006 SE Sport Automatic
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Camp fish. Re poppers... Agree. I’d normally never buy from a dealer but how expensive could they be!!! I found out...

The AC light in the consul dies indeed illuminate when AC us activated, but absolutely no other parts of that system are kicking in..

I’ve managed to test the AC fan by jumping - worked. Can’t for the life of me get the clip to the radiator fan off to jump. It’s in a very awkward position and I’m just not strong enough, nor can I safely get some grippers down there... I’ll try again. The radiator cowling came off nice and easy. Bust one side of every popper getting it off but they worked fine when I repopped them after the jump.
Thanks for the support.. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Use a long, small flat tip screwdriver to lift the plastic latch - then push or pull the connector apart. Since your AC fan is working; try your AC again and check your fans. If they still aren't turning - check fuses and relay - wiring if the car has been in an accident.
Another way to check the main fan. Just let it idle when parked; main fan should kick on above the half way point but below the 3/4 of the way on your temperature gauge. As long as your moving, it shouldn't over-heat on you - That's why most people don't even notice that the fans are dead.
I would check for power at the relay; with the AC on using a test light. You should find two power sources, signal & main power source. If both sources are there; it's probably your relay. You can use a wire to "jump" across to see if everything starts working - to be sure that it's the relay. Something for you to do, while waiting for the car to heat up ;). Make sure someone is watching the temperature gauge!!

·
Registered
2007 CRV
20 Posts
I would put a note of caution here
When using a wire to jump the relay, make sure it is the load side
If you see pins numbers then 87 and 30 are load side
Pins 85 and 86 are control side
Jumping the control side can cause all sorts of havoc with the ECM

·
Registered
2006 SE Sport Automatic
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks both.
I swapped all the associated relays in the front fuse box with a known good one (actually I did do that but also put the AC relays in the horn to check they worked). They are all sound. I’ve checked the associated fuses in the engine bay to check they aren’t bust, they’re not.. there’s one larger AC relay I can’t find a known good one to swap in... is this type of relay somewhere else in the car?

I’ve tried to get the temp gauge over half way, it resolutely refuses... even in temps of 30 degrees in Greece over the summer, it barely moves up the scale. Climbs slowly, sits just below half way... I can’t recall the fans working but I can recall the AC working.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts