Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am own a 2003 CRV with over 175,000 miles. When I am driving for at least 30 minutes my vehicle will stop accelerating after it hits about 3000 RPMs.
I have checked it to make sure the oil levels are normal.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,804 Posts
The usual issue on an early Gen2 is a malfunctioning VTEC control valve. (Your engine will be in Limp Mode until the next restart)
That usually sets a CEL.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am own a 2003 CRV with over 175,000 miles. When I am driving for at least 30 minutes my vehicle will stop accelerating after it hits about 3000 RPMs.
I have checked it to make sure the oil levels are normal.
I had the same problem and fixed it just yesterday.
I first thought it was the valve and did buy a one but did not install. Found out it was just my intake mainifold rotary was stuck from being dirty. I put a can of sea foam directly into the intake. Followed the cleaning info on the can. Took it for a drive to burn the grit out and it started to work properly.
I put the car on the scanner and valve was opening and closing properly. No need for a 50.00 replacement valve that was sent back to Amazon.

I have a 2006 CRV SE with 218,600 miles and live in the snow northeast area of Ohio.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same problem and fixed it just yesterday.
I first thought it was the valve and did buy a one but did not install. Found out it was just my intake mainifold rotary was stuck from being dirty. I put a can of sea foam directly into the intake. Followed the cleaning info on the can. Took it for a drive to burn the grit out and it started to work properly.
I put the car on the scanner and valve was opening and closing properly. No need for a 50.00 replacement valve that was sent back to Amazon.

I have a 2006 CRV SE with 218,600 miles and live in the snow northeast area of Ohio.
Would you mind to show where located is intake mainifold rotary?

Regards,

·
Registered
'04 CR-V EX AWD 5MT
15 Posts
Also I read that VTEC is activated at about 3000rpm but the intake manifold control valve kicks on at about 4600rpm.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,804 Posts
You guys are referring to the IMRC rotary valve, right?

here is one of many videos on how to replace it. BUT, the first action should be to replace the control solenoid on the top right of the engine, that is often the cause and is a LOT easier!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts