Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 Honda CR-V Touring
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed something today. When I don’t have Nav up or the compass up on the dash display i have no active full time compass on the top of the media screen like non nav cars.
I figured it may just need calibration so i pressed and held the Day/night button for nearly 30 seconds and all it did was shut the screen off. Tried it in accessory, on and run with thr same results. I find it hard to understand why its not there other than i guess most people would have the map up.

Only other thing I find odd on the Nav it will alert me to traffic ahead with a notification but when i select traffic I get a blank map of my state zoomed out on the screen. Lifetime traffic is active but dont see the typical green orange and red traffic lines. New to this but is there a way to see traffic 100 miles ahead?

·
Registered
2022 CR-V Touring
19 Posts
I have the same questions. I really wish I could have the compass visible at all times, but it’s not. And the traffic shows when I use Google Maps via CarPlay, but not when using the built-in Garmin nab app. I figured it was because I couldn’t take the time to figure it out while driving, on account of I hate wrecking my car, and I would have to figure it out as a passenger.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
1,954 Posts
I have the same questions. I really wish I could have the compass visible at all times, but it’s not. And the traffic shows when I use Google Maps via CarPlay, but not when using the built-in Garmin nab app. I figured it was because I couldn’t take the time to figure it out while driving, on account of I hate wrecking my car, and I would have to figure it out as a passenger.
Is this not sufficient?

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Pattern

·
Registered
2022 CR-V Touring
19 Posts
No, because you can only have one thing displayed on the information panel. I have been keeping a map on the tablet screen, and using the panel for audio/radio controls. Or I might have audio on the big screen and mileage stats in the info screen. Either way, having the compass take up a whole screen is too much for me. I’m used to having a small directional arrow visible all the time, along with outside temp etc. I was hoping to find a way to toggle it on in a main screen. There are many excellent features so I’m not going to quibble about this much. Thanks for putting up the manual page image.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
1,954 Posts
No, because you can only have one thing displayed on the information panel. I have been keeping a map on the tablet screen, and using the panel for audio/radio controls. Or I might have audio on the big screen and mileage stats in the info screen. Either way, having the compass take up a whole screen is too much for me. I’m used to having a small directional arrow visible all the time, along with outside temp etc. I was hoping to find a way to toggle it on in a main screen. There are many excellent features so I’m not going to quibble about this much. Thanks for putting up the manual page image.
ok, but it’s there if you want or need it. personally, I’ve never found a compass in a car to be any use.

·
Registered
2022 CR-V Touring
19 Posts
It‘s a good way to stay oriented in unfamiliar cities, where I don’t know the street names but know the major geographic landmarks, or in rural areas where roads may not be marked on the digital maps and landmarks are obscured by trees. Which are probably not common situations for most people, but I’m kind of a wanderer. Yes, at least it’s available, and it’s not impossible that a future software update might include the arrow on the “dashboard”. We can dream…

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
10,029 Posts
When you have the Garmin native NAV, you don't need a separate compass display because the NAV app provides this information. It's not like you need to constantly know what direction your vehicle is facing. :) It is something you most often need when navigation roads on a route.

Most people have a smart phone with them when driving and they have compass circuits in them as well.

But you know what.. if it really bothers you.. there are literally hundreds of low cost sticky-mount small compasses made (both digital and analog) for use in motor vehicles. Pick the one that works best for you and problem solved.

Personally, when I need to know what direction I am heading (which not often when the sun is up) I just push my nav soft key on the head unit and up it pops for a quick look.

·
Premium Member
2022 Honda CR-V Touring
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just something im used to seeing on the dash display from years of driving VW. Just keep it in compass mode now. Dont need to see my active fuel economy up all the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts