Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the time, if I shut the CRV off with it still in gear, I get a series of beeps to remind me. But occasionally, there's no alarm at all, or maybe just a single beep. And when left in this configuration, it seems like the CRV defaults to neutral. Several times now, I've shut it off on mostly level ground with it still in drive,and come back to find it tens of feet from where I left it. I have been VERY fortunate that none of those resulted in an accident.

Obviously, leaving it in gear is my own fault... but prior to the CRV, I owned Priuses (Prii?) for 13 years. If you shut the Prius off, it goes into park automatically. So I developed a habit of skipping the step of putting it in park, and it's a hard habit to break.

Any idea what would cause the alarm to not sound? And is there any other way to protect myself from my own stupidity - like a hidden setting to auto-set the parking brake?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Most of the time, if I shut the CRV off with it still in gear, I get a series of beeps to remind me. But occasionally, there's no alarm at all, or maybe just a single beep. And when left in this configuration, it seems like the CRV defaults to neutral. Several times now, I've shut it off on mostly level ground with it still in drive,and come back to find it tens of feet from where I left it. I have been VERY fortunate that none of those resulted in an accident.

Obviously, leaving it in gear is my own fault... but prior to the CRV, I owned Priuses (Prii?) for 13 years. If you shut the Prius off, it goes into park automatically. So I developed a habit of skipping the step of putting it in park, and it's a hard habit to break.

Any idea what would cause the alarm to not sound? And is there any other way to protect myself from my own stupidity - like a hidden setting to auto-set the parking brake?
Set your emergency brake to automatically set.

·
Registered
95 Posts
As Grpass said, you could get in the habit of pressing the Brake Hold button every time you start the car. It will put the hand brake on any time you stop the car. But at that point, you might as well also try to get in the habit of putting it into Park.

·
Registered
415 Posts
wow... very dangerous habit.... i'll test that one but if that's the case, I think its done in purpose to save the transmission from damage in the long run.... considering your not supposed to leave it in drive in the first place...
Yeah... set the hand brake to turn on automatically.... I think there was a tread on how to do that here.... I did that on my wife's CRV.
never let your trany do the parking brake, specially parking in an incline... I usually set my hand brakes first then move to park, this way the hand brake is holding the car, not the trany.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,918 Posts
wow... very dangerous habit.... i'll test that one but if that's the case, I think its done in purpose to save the transmission from damage in the long run.... considering your not supposed to leave it in drive in the first place...
Yeah... set the hand brake to turn on automatically.... I think there was a tread on how to do that here.... I did that on my wife's CRV.
never let your trany do the parking brake, specially parking in an incline... I usually set my hand brakes first then move to park, this way the hand brake is holding the car, not the trany.
I very much agree. Though I keep my foot on the brake pedal, then move to park, then set the parking brake, then take my foot off the pedal, then turn the vechicle off.

Parked on a level surface in your garage and put in Park.. you could get away from using the parking brake.. but if you are ever parking on a non level surface... using the parking brake is a must in my view.... it is there for a purpose.

Not putting your vehicle in Park should never be an option for a driver.

·
Registered
2018 Honda CRV EX-L
124 Posts
Wow...now we’re bitching because the car doesn’t “warn you” that you don’t put it in Park??? Give me a break!

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Not a problem with my 2014, as the Owners Manual says:

You cannot turn the ignition switch to LOCK [0] and
remove the key unless the shift lever is in [P].
The 2018 CR-V Owners Manual has a similar comment, with a footnote that it doesn't apply to models with a Start/Stop button instead of an ignition switch.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Why it's not a reflex action to put it in park before mashing the ignition button, I cannot imagine. Stop pushing the button before slamming the gearshift home. But if you can't do that, I guess the suggestions to use Brake Hold and Auto P-brake are better than what you are doing today.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Star Trek actor Anton Yelchin died tragically at 27 when his Jeep Grand Cherokee rolled and crushed him against the gate he was opening to leave home, in 2016. The family filed suit and there was an undisclosed settlement. I suspect it was a big one. The gear shifter was under a recall at the time for such malfunctions. But now, this makes me wonder if he previously owned a Prius. Also, there is a lot of questioning going on industry-wide about the safety and viability of the whole start button concept right now. I would highly recommend that you very carefully and mindfully undertake to correct this tendency. The aforementioned feature of the Prius is a very dangerous one that should have been long ago addressed by the NHTSA. Be safe. The last thing any of us wants is to read about you in the news. Please live long and prosper.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To be clear, this is not something I do intentionally. It's just muscle memory from the last 13 years, where pushing the Start/Stop button caused the car to go into Park automatically. So, pressing P on the Prius (it was a button, not a shifter) before shutting the car off was a wasted extra step, but obviously now it's an extremely critical, required step. There's really no way for it to happen automatically with a physical shifter. I get that.

The CR-V does beep rapidly when I do this - most of the time. But there's some combination of steps that causes those beeps to either not happen, or stop so quickly that I don't notice. It would be nice it it was persistent, or at the very least, if this scenario would prevent the doors from locking. That, I would notice.

I will try the auto P-brake... thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts