Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Looking through the interior pictures, it seems that Honda removed the CD player, just like they did on the Civic. Is it possible to hook up an external cd player through the USB port, or do I have to transfer the CD file to the flash drive?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Do you have a smartphone, i.e. Android or iPhone? If not, you're gonna have to rip your CDs to either a flash drive or an iPod. Music CDs are not long for this world I'm afraid. The 2017 Ridgeline also does not come with a CD player, but Honda sells one as an accessory that mounts in the cubby below the head unit. No such option for the new CR-V, though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have a smartphone. How would I transfer the files from the CD to the iPhone, is that at all possible?

·
Registered
97 Posts
You do not state what model you are referencing, but on my 2016 Touring there is no visible CD slot. You press a button and the screen raises to expose the CD slot. Can't say for certain, but would think the 2017 would be the same. A bit too soon to kill a fading but not yet dead technology.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have a smartphone, i.e. Android or iPhone? If not, you're gonna have to rip your CDs to either a flash drive or an iPod. Music CDs are not long for this world I'm afraid. The 2017 Ridgeline also does not come with a CD player, but Honda sells one as an accessory that mounts in the cubby below the head unit. No such option for the new CR-V, though.
I do have a smartphone. How would I transfer the files from the CD to the iPhone, is that at all possible?

·
Registered
36 Posts
You will need to use iTunes to import the CDs then sync the phone. It's too many steps to get into on this forum, but a Google search should get you up and running. After the music is on your iPhone, you can either plug it into one of the USB ports in the vehicle, or use bluetooth audio streaming after connecting your phone to the car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is the 2017 sub-forum, so I just assumed OP meant 2017 CR-V. And it is not too early to be removing CD players from vehicles. Audio CD is a legacy technology at this point, it's gotta be kicked to the curb at some point.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2017 CR-V on Saturday and can confirm there is no CD-Player. When I researched it online and looked at the dealer inventory, it listed it as an option for the EX trim. I have a call into my salesman to find out why it is written as part of options but not actually included.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yes, CD technology is effectively dead. I'm perfectly fine with no CD. The only consumer segment this creates a problem for would be seniors who aren't yet comfortable with technology - and I mean no disrespect, BTW. I'm well into my 5th decade! It will certainly create a little consternation with some of them, as my dad (79 yrs old) will never ever learn to use a computer - which means that I would be pressed into service importing CDs for him (which, coincidentally, I already have :) ) There are, btw, a lot of new vehicles that do not offer CD technology.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,045 Posts
Our '06 (purchased new) has a CASSETTE PLAYER as well as a 6 disc CD.

I've never even tried to use the cassette. :eek: If it doesn't work, can I still get a warranty repair????

+++++++++++++++

I'll let the voices in my head sing to me...

·
Registered
776 Posts
Our '06 (purchased new) has a CASSETTE PLAYER as well as a 6 disc CD.

I've never even tried to use the cassette. :eek: If it doesn't work, can I still get a warranty repair????

+++++++++++++++

I'll let the voices in my head sing to me...
CB: I'm disappointed - I figured you for an 8-Track unit !! I think I've got several Peter & Gordon tapes I could send you !! Musically, Craig

·
Registered
9 Posts
As a 30 something that still listens to CDs I was bummed. I went from an 08 with a 6 disc CD changer to nothing. I have put my CDs on a flash drive and yes the info comes up on the screen. They are Christian rap CDs does that make me more pathetic lol.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I personally have not used the CD player in my previous vehicle, a. '04 Mazda CX-5, more than once or twice.

I can't say I miss it that much, then.

It would be useful for one thing : listen to the best sound quality possible in the CR-V. I'm still unhappy with that in my Touring.

Sirius XM sounds quite bad for a paid service. This is my first encounter with Sirius XM, and I could not believe how much compression I could hear in the talk radio channels! Is this normal?

FM radio sounds flat and muffled.

The iPod nano I connected has decent sound quality but I keep hearing pops and small skips in the audio coming from it (was fine in the CX-5, doesn't pop or skip with headphones).

CarPlay doesn't skip or pop, but isn't hi-fi at all, according to my ears. The same iTunes Store files sound very good in other audio systems. My brother's '17 Chevy Volt sound system sounds so much better than my CR-V's, with or without CarPlay active... it's quite incredible.

So yeah, a CD player would help me form a final opinion on this audio system. Not sure that's enough to complain loudly that there isn't one though :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I personally have not used the CD player in my previous vehicle, a. '04 Mazda CX-5, more than once or twice.

I can't say I miss it that much, then.

It would be useful for one thing : listen to the best sound quality possible in the CR-V. I'm still unhappy with that in my Touring.

Sirius XM sounds quite bad for a paid service. This is my first encounter with Sirius XM, and I could not believe how much compression I could hear in the talk radio channels! Is this normal?

FM radio sounds flat and muffled.

The iPod nano I connected has decent sound quality but I keep hearing pops and small skips in the audio coming from it (was fine in the CX-5, doesn't pop or skip with headphones).

CarPlay doesn't skip or pop, but isn't hi-fi at all, according to my ears. The same iTunes Store files sound very good in other audio systems. My brother's '17 Chevy Volt sound system sounds so much better than my CR-V's, with or without CarPlay active... it's quite incredible.

So yeah, a CD player would help me form a final opinion on this audio system. Not sure that's enough to complain loudly that there isn't one though :)
The fact that it's "CD" does not make it better sound quality. You can get the exact same sound quality from digital media as from a CD if you want. The problem is in how the content is being digitized - not the physical CD versus the digital storage. There is no reason why a CD player in a '17 CR-V would sound any better than something on electronic media. You could rip the content to Apple Lossless, obviously consuming more storage, but with better reproduction. I'm guessing there may be limitations as to playing WAV files but really haven't been all that interested in digging in.

Sirius/XM in any vehicle IMHO is a lower quality than FM always. It is what it is. Just like cable TV and DBS have a lower quality than OTA (essentially uncompressed) content.

I do agree that the audio system in the CR-V is hardly audiophile quality. For me it's good enough for what it is. It may well, however, create a challenge for those that really really want high quality audio, given its integration with other features in the car. After all, it's not like it would be easy to rip out the multifunction display and/or just add an aftermarket head unit.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Yes, Sirius/XM is heavily compressed. The technology behind it is relatively ancient at this point, and not that high in bandwidth, considering the number of channels.

Speaking for myself, I'm going to see if I can rig up something to play CD's without having to rip. (I don't want to blow that much space on my phone, which will be occupying the main USB port pretty much all the time.) If I can tap into a 12V power feed in an unobtrusive place and run it through a 7805 regulator, I can get 5V, 1.5A anywhere. I can certainly use that to power the power pins on a USB port (which, in turn, can power a bluetooth transmitter), and if I'm lucky, I'll be able to find a portable CD player that will accept 5V, (or, better yet, 12) and mount it in a place where I can reach the buttons. I'm thinking the side of our cavernous center console would be perfect. I can extend the 12V that feeds the lighter outlet and branch off from there. If I was feeling REALLY ambitious, I round up a used aftermarket 6CD-changer (with remote) and use that instead. (They don't make those new anymore, do they?)

Great quality? No, feeding the audio through a cheap bluetooth transmitter will do it no favors, but it's better than nothing.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts