Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
As a 30 something that still listens to CDs I was bummed. I went from an 08 with a 6 disc CD changer to nothing. I have put my CDs on a flash drive and yes the info comes up on the screen. They are Christian rap CDs does that make me more pathetic lol.
I don't think it's pathetic at all. I'm 29 and have all my Christian rap on my phone. I'm always jamming out to it. However, I do have a CD player in my wife's '13 V which has never been used. I've only used my CD player in my '14 Civic a couple times.

·
Registered
275 Posts
As a 30 something that still listens to CDs I was bummed. I went from an 08 with a 6 disc CD changer to nothing. I have put my CDs on a flash drive and yes the info comes up on the screen. They are Christian rap CDs does that make me more pathetic lol.
I don't think you listening to Christian rap is at all pathetic! I personally don't like any sort of rap, and don't personally consider it music, but that's me.

Now, I DO think that somebody about 20 years younger than me listening to CDs when I've made the jump to digitized media long ago is pathetic :) Just yanking your chain.

·
Registered
101 Posts
An idea that some might want to consider is saving an older smartphone to use as your music source. I use my iPhone 4 strictly as an "iPod", nothing but music. It has worked very well for me.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Our '06 (purchased new) has a CASSETTE PLAYER as well as a 6 disc CD.

I've never even tried to use the cassette. :eek: If it doesn't work, can I still get a warranty repair????

+++++++++++++++

I'll let the voices in my head sing to me...
Casette technology is one of those technologies that will always work and will work forever. I guarantee you pop in a casette in there and it will start playing.

·
Registered
679 Posts
An idea that some might want to consider is saving an older smartphone to use as your music source. I use my iPhone 4 strictly as an "iPod", nothing but music. It has worked very well for me.
You can also use an actual iPod whose job was to be a dedicated music source :D

I have a 2009 iPod Classic and it found a home in my 2007 CR-V. I was even tempted to consider an iPod touch for faster SSD technology, before they stop making those iPods.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Casette technology is one of those technologies that will always work and will work forever. I guarantee you pop in a casette in there and it will start playing.
Unless the rollers get dirty or it gets too hot. Then I guarantee you pop in a cassette in after it winds and twists up the tape all inside, you'll spend 10 minutes and destroy the tape trying to get it out :) Way better than 8 track for sure (and I had them too - I'm a baby boomer). I gotta say - I'm very happy to see 8-Track, cassette, and CD gone from vehicles.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Over the years, I have had more cassette players have problems than CD players. I think it is more due to dirt and defective cassettes but there were a lot of dead cassette players in cars.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Just give us more cubby holes to put our stuff!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
New potential CRV buyer here. I like most of what I see in the 2017 CRV, but the lack of a CD player is almost a deal-breaker for me. Does anyone know if an aftermarket CD-changer (like those that used to fit under the seat) can be fitted to the media console, maybe through an in-dash aux connection?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Good luck with a lot of new vehicles. CDs are dead, and manufacturers are with good reason in the process of eliminating them. I would be more than willing to bet that within just a few more years, you won't find a CD option in almost any new vehicle. But there is no aux connector in the '17 CR-V.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We just took delivery of our new '17 CR-V Touring and was fully aware that it did not have a CD player. Some here are bashing CDs as obsolete and cannot understand why anyone would want a player. For us it is to listen to books on CD during cross country trips. We own several we have yet to listen to, and we borrow them from our local library. To the best of my knowledge the library has yet to offer audio books on flash drives and my smartphone does not have a terabyte sized flash card to hold them all, not to mention the time needed to load them.

Our first approach was to try an audio/USB adapter. We bought a Sabrent USB Audio Stereo Sound Adapter to which we planned on plugging in our old Sony Portable CD Player. Nada. Works fine on the computer, does not recognize the device in the car.

Next try was with a NewRice High-Fidelity Multi-point Bluetooth Transmitter. The car has Bluetooth, right? Same result; the device was not recognized. If you have either of those ideas in mind save yourself some grief. It does make me wonder why Honda could not bother to put in a 3.5 mm phono plug so any audio device would be compatible.

Our solution to the problem may be a Y-adapter and a couple of sets of headphones. American Honda Motors should be impressed when they see a couple of old codgers driving their newest CR-V, listening to a portable CD player while wearing headphones and wrap-around sunglasses, along with one of those old-style ball compasses suction cupped to the dashboard. (Another problem for us is that we don't know which direction we are traveling without bringing up the navigation screen). That visual will surely spark sales.

·
Registered
140 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the library has yet to offer audio books on flash drives and my smartphone does not have a terabyte sized flash card to hold them all, not to mention the time needed to load them.
Check with your local librarian. https://www.overdrive.com Libraries are all switching over to downloadable content.

Instead of headphones wich are possibly illeagle in your area and at the very least unsafe why not use this https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Connected-Transmission/dp/B00P24XKS8 or something like it

:cool:

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/10/31/is-it-legal-to-wear-headphones-while-driving/

·
Registered
34 Posts
The TaoTronics transmitter is the same thing as the NewRice only a different version from a different manufacturer. If it is not a phone, I don't think the CR-V will recognize it.

We have downloaded books, but my phone does not have the storage for audio books and we can't plug the Kindle or laptop into the car's audio system.

Just saying, a phono jack could not have been that hard to put into the radio. But, thanks for the link to the list of state laws. That is good to know. BTW, another option we thought about is to plug the CD player into our iHome portable speaker. That should have sufficient volume because the CR-V is pretty quiet on the road. We'll just put the speaker on the dash next to the compass. :cool: Sweet!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just saying, a phono jack could not have been that hard to put into the radio.
Agreed! The bean counters win again!

·
Registered
776 Posts
I'm almost positive headphones are illegal up here !! Probably a good idea to be able to hear emergency vehicles approaching your vehicle. Craig

21 - 40 of 78 Posts