Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
There was a very very minor fad back in the 50s/early 60s. Chrysler was probably the most famous for doing it, but all the major manufacturers at one point or other had at least an "option". They are relatively rare - and really never were all that popular.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in the market for a new vehicle and when I learned the 2017 CRV doesn't have a CD player it's a near deal-breaker for me. Whenever someone brings up the topic on various forums, there's a sort of canned 20-something response about CD's being obsolete media, and playing mp3's on your smartphone, etc. That may be true insofar as listening to music.

However -- I have very little interest in playing music on CD's. My wife is a public librarian and my daily work commute is 30-45 minutes. From a bricks & mortar library I've checked out free unabridged audiobooks the past 15-20 years on CD. True, the public libraries are starting to offer downloadable audiobooks, but it's a kludgy process and the title selection appears to be nowhere near the freely available selection of current novels, non-fiction, history, bibliography, etc. I understand physical CD's somewhat predate the Millennials who grew up on expensive smartphones and mp3's for music. But I'm talking about what typical US public libraries offer for unabridged audio books: it's still CD.

I really don't want to be in the business of ripping 6-10 CD's per title every week just to continue listening to audiobooks on CD.

So my question to the 2017 owners, and others of hyper-modern cars -- is there an aftermarket solution, a portable player, etc. that can plug into an existing CRV port, and power adapter -- or maybe entirely USB powered -- to still get CD media working in a 2017 CRV? Or will I be ripping CD's weekly or waiting 5+ years for public libraries to catch up?

Thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts
For me the real issue with no CD player is sound quality and I'm a music guy.

Yes i have an iphone and I have hundreds of albums ripped to 2 large USB flash drives, but that compresses the music and Fidelity is loss vs a CD. But I realize 99% of people could care less about compressed music using both bluetooth and USB drives. And i do at times also, but can't compare vs. a good quality CD recording

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm in the market for a new vehicle and when I learned the 2017 CRV doesn't have a CD player it's a near deal-breaker for me. Whenever someone brings up the topic on various forums, there's a sort of canned 20-something response about CD's being obsolete media, and playing mp3's on your smartphone, etc. That may be true insofar as listening to music.

However -- I have very little interest in playing music on CD's. My wife is a public librarian and my daily work commute is 30-45 minutes. From a bricks & mortar library I've checked out free unabridged audiobooks the past 15-20 years on CD. True, the public libraries are starting to offer downloadable audiobooks, but it's a kludgy process and the title selection appears to be nowhere near the freely available selection of current novels, non-fiction, history, bibliography, etc. I understand physical CD's somewhat predate the Millennials who grew up on expensive smartphones and mp3's for music. But I'm talking about what typical US public libraries offer for unabridged audio books: it's still CD.

I really don't want to be in the business of ripping 6-10 CD's per title every week just to continue listening to audiobooks on CD.

So my question to the 2017 owners, and others of hyper-modern cars -- is there an aftermarket solution, a portable player, etc. that can plug into an existing CRV port, and power adapter -- or maybe entirely USB powered -- to still get CD media working in a 2017 CRV? Or will I be ripping CD's weekly or waiting 5+ years for public libraries to catch up?

Thanks!
I understand exactly what you are saying! I listen to lots of audiobooks from the library as well. However I started years ago ripping and converting them into the correct audiobook format m4b with cover art. There is excellent free software for achieving this: http://lodensoftware.com/chapter-and-verse/

It is a bit of work but I actually prefer this to dealing with CDs since those audiobooks are on my iPhone (synced via iTunes) and I take them and listen to them everywhere I go.

audible is another excellent way to listen to audiobooks. Watch out for the many trial months available (slickdeals.net).

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think I am on my 4th car in a row using a USB stick. One really great use of the CD player was as a good mount for phone holder. Now I have to wait on Proclips to come out with a good mount for the 2017 CR-V.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I'm an Android guy myself. I don't want to plug my (cheap) phone into my car, keep it charged, etc. If I have to spend time ripping I'd rather go natively into mp3, throw the files on a large capacity thumbdrive and play that way -- if this is possible on the 2017 CRV's system. Anyone try this? No cables, and USB powered.

One of the things I like about CD's -- not the physical technology, but the philosophical concept -- is that the media is corporation-agnostic, and largely device agnostic. The trouble with modern auto manufacturers getting too married to whimsical + proprietary media devices is that many people throw away their $1,000 cellphones every year or two, money is no issue to alot of people. Whereas I'm looking to replace my '98 Jeep Cherokee with just over 290,000 miles! I'd prefer to drive a vehicle 10-15+ years. Many technologies are going to look old in 3-4, let alone 10 in the future.

My wife drives a (2005) Honda Odyssey which we've taken cross country on several family trips and we're very happy with it. But I can't justify something that big for a work commuting vehicle. Pilot is too big also.

Again, I don't like CD's for several reasons. Swapping them out while driving is a bad idea. Public library CD's get scratched, etc. However, it's (a) the free content for borrowers and (b) the choice of hundreds of professionally-read unabridged audiobooks. I'm talking about quality literature here, not the top-40. :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have all my music ripped from CD's years ago and on my computer and backed up. So I just copy them to a flash drive and stick it in the right USB port in the center console. I have a couple hundred of my favorites in the root directory and usually just play from that on random and repeat. I also have some artists in folders so I can plan all songs from a particular musician. I use a 64 Gig drive but have read some here who use 128 gig drives so I don't know what the upper limits is. I know mine fits on the 64 gig drive with room to spare.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I'm an Android guy myself. I don't want to plug my (cheap) phone into my car, keep it charged, etc. If I have to spend time ripping I'd rather go natively into mp3, throw the files on a large capacity thumbdrive and play that way -- if this is possible on the 2017 CRV's system. Anyone try this? No cables, and USB powered.

One of the things I like about CD's -- not the physical technology, but the philosophical concept -- is that the media is corporation-agnostic, and largely device agnostic. The trouble with modern auto manufacturers getting too married to whimsical + proprietary media devices is that many people throw away their $1,000 cellphones every year or two, money is no issue to alot of people. Whereas I'm looking to replace my '98 Jeep Cherokee with just over 290,000 miles! I'd prefer to drive a vehicle 10-15+ years. Many technologies are going to look old in 3-4, let alone 10 in the future.

My wife drives a (2005) Honda Odyssey which we've taken cross country on several family trips and we're very happy with it. But I can't justify something that big for a work commuting vehicle. Pilot is too big also.

Again, I don't like CD's for several reasons. Swapping them out while driving is a bad idea. Public library CD's get scratched, etc. However, it's (a) the free content for borrowers and (b) the choice of hundreds of professionally-read unabridged audiobooks. I'm talking about quality literature here, not the top-40. :)
I recommend not ripping audio books to MP3 simply because no audio system (AFAIK) keeps track of your current position (very important for an audiobook), there is no option to increase/decrease the speed of reading that audiobook apps provide, and the sequence of MP3 files / chapters could be messed up if you are not careful.

I have not tried it but maybe the CR-V infotainment system can play m4b audiobooks natively from a USB drive.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Everything I've ripped or downloaded over the years is in subfolders of the Music folder on my PC, and all of that has been automatically uploaded to Google Play Music. Using the Play app, it all ends up organized by artist or album or whatever and is fairly easy to play over a BT connection. Rarely is a car quiet enough and sound system good enough to have the source make much difference IMO.

But my favorite music source is still Pandora, precisely because I can't directly select what's playing next and I get lots of chances to hear new artists, new songs, etc.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Hey, I saw some CD's the other day in an antique shop here in town. Wow, how retro!

Seriously, rip your CD's to a memory stick and plug it in. One little 16GB stick will hold every CD you have every owned...maybe.....
How to rip a CD? Look on-line. Windows media player will do it for you. If you don't have Win. Media Player you can get several free programs on-line to do so.

·
Registered
730 Posts
If Honda not putting a CD player in the 2017 CR-V is a deal breaker for you, then maybe you need to look at purchasing another vehicle. There are some really good deals on 2016 models, you'd could get several thousand off and still get your CD player. Although, to me, choosing a car based on whether or not it has a CD player says your priorities are quite a bit different than mine.

I don't know of any easy options to connect a CD player to the 2017 CR-V sound system. Although, you might want to call Crutchfield.com and ask them if they know of a way to connect an AUX input which would allow you to connect a portable CD player or maybe a 6-disc changer you could mount under the front seat.

·
Registered
95 Posts
rip to FLAC, lossless, i believe if you say you can notice to the difference you lie lol

i too thought cd was essential, but i havnt had the need for a good 10 yeears. the only time an optical drive is necessary to me is if its a dvd/bluray drive so i can bring my movies i have on physical media

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm resurrecting this thread to see if anyone has any additional recommendations for frequent audiobook users. It takes too much time to convert the 10-12 CDs from the library to my phone and I like the selection at my library. Also, don't want to pay for Audible.com. I really wish Honda had not eliminated the CD player.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm resurrecting this thread to see if anyone has any additional recommendations for frequent audiobook users. It takes too much time to convert the 10-12 CDs from the library to my phone and I like the selection at my library. Also, don't want to pay for Audible.com.
You kind of painted the forum into a corner with these two items. In my opinion, you shouldn't buy a car without a CD player. Or you should lobby your library to make all of their audiobooks available as downloads.

EDIT: I have a solution for you. Here's your shopping list:
https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Connected-Transmission/dp/B00P24XKS8
https://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-SDVD7046-Black-7-Inch-Portable-Integrated/dp/B004NBY530/
or maybe
https://www.amazon.com/GPX-PC101B-Portable-Player-Earbuds/dp/B003XQPK76

·
Registered
32 Posts
You kind of painted the forum into a corner with these two items. In my opinion, you shouldn't buy a car without a CD player. Or you should lobby your library to make all of their audiobooks available as downloads.

https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Connected-Transmission/dp/B00P24XKS8
https://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-SDVD7046-Black-7-Inch-Portable-Integrated/dp/B004NBY530/
or maybe
Thanks for your response. We were thinking of a set up like the first two items. Just wondering if there was anything magical out there. My library does have some downloadable audiobooks but the options are somewhat limited. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts

or maybe
I think earlier in this thread it was already determined that the Bluetooth Transmitter won't work; the car doesn't want to pair with anything that's not a phone (or maybe an iPod.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think earlier in this thread it was already determined that the Bluetooth Transmitter won't work; the car doesn't want to pair with anything that's not a phone (or maybe an iPod.)
Thanks, I guess I missed that as I read this thread a while ago. We had driven both 2016 and 2017 CRVs and didn't realize the CD player was removed from the 2017. It wouldn't have changed our decision but I wish they had waited a year because we keep cars for at least 12-14 years. I'm still getting used to keyless start as I move into modern times, lol.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts