Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
For me the real issue with no CD player is sound quality and I'm a music guy.

Yes i have an iphone and I have hundreds of albums ripped to 2 large USB flash drives, but that compresses the music and Fidelity is loss vs a CD. But I realize 99% of people could care less about compressed music using both bluetooth and USB drives. And i do at times also, but can't compare vs. a good quality CD recording

That is the exact reason I prefer non-compressed original wma files on usb or on a phone that accepts them. Much better audio quality by far than mp3. Oh, and bluetooth drops audio quality as well...must have direct connection.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I use a 256 gig drive with every CD and Record I have ever owned. I will wished I could play my Kenny Loggins cd but the flash drive is a great backup.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Amen brother...I had a lot of good times with the 8-track player in my '73 Mazda RX3 :cool: But I deal with the new stuff as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't assume CDs are so "dead." The same was said of LPs and they not only are still around, but making a comeback, however niche-oriented it might be -- yet far from dead.

By the way, I have a CR-V on loan right now, and there's no Aux. port either -- only a USB. I assume anything using a 3.5mm jack is also dead, at least in the eyes of the cool people?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm resurrecting this thread to see if anyone has any additional recommendations for frequent audiobook users. It takes too much time to convert the 10-12 CDs from the library to my phone and I like the selection at my library. Also, don't want to pay for Audible.com. I really wish Honda had not eliminated the CD player.
My library has a pretty large selection of audio books on overdrive (the same service they use for ebooks), they usually can be downloaded as either an Overdrive Listen audiobook, or MP3 audiobook. I haven't used one of those in a long time now because I only commute to the office one day a week so it takes me too long to listen to a book so it'd be due back in before I finished listening, but it does work rather well.

As for audible I went with a membership that is 9.99 a year instead of the monthly fee, and I just will buy a daily deal that appeals to me for about 1.99 or 2.99, something like that. I also keep an eye out for their sales where I can stock up on titles I might enjoy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You could use something like this:

A car FM transmitter:

The Car Bluetooth Receiver works with smartphones iPhone, iPad, iPod, Tablet and more;Supporting AUX output and input, work with Micro SD, TF card or MP3, MP4 players via 3.5mm audio jack.

You could plug the portable cd player into the FM adapter and it will play through the CRV's FM radio.

Just a thought.

Good Luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
...What daddcap said.

If you MUST use a CD player, an FM Transmitter is, probably, going to be your best bet. Curious as to what was out there, I found this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0159ST8AU/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_1_w

Never used one of these, myself, so I have no idea how good they are. But, this one seems to have plenty of favorable reviews and is inexpensive. Also, I'd think the auto-scan feature would be helpful for finding vacant FM frequencies in your area. Just plug the jack into a portable CD player and you're good to go.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The sound quality of CD's ripped to the highest level MP3 is near indistinguishable in a good listening environment. In a car with road noise, other cars and wind noise it is a rare bird, indeed, that can distinguish the difference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No CD player?? Shocking! I'm going to have an 8-Track slung under my dash and a 45 rpm record player installed in the glove box. I'm gonna be so cool in 1972 ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also used to have a Vibrasonic unit and a 4 track player (a huge contraption), an 8 track player, a cassette player in various cars and a 12 disc cd changer. I discovered, to my dismay, that my '17 Crv did NOT have an AUX input - wtf?? What's up with that? I have used a usb stick but it's WAY inferior to using my Sansa Fuze mp3. I've been using an FM xmitter as this let's me use the mp3 player. Clumsy but it works. Fiddleing with my phone is even clumsier! I also must say, as others did, that for my ears, the in vehicle environment pretty much negates any real high fidelity so mp3 is great! A real deal breaker on any future car purchase for me would be a start-stop system that couldn't be disabled! :eek:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
... I have used a usb stick but it's WAY inferior to using my Sansa Fuze mp3. I've been using an FM xmitter as this let's me use the mp3 player. ...

I also must say, as others did, that for my ears, the in vehicle environment pretty much negates any real high fidelity so mp3 is great!
This is very contradictory and confusing.

How is using an integrated USB memory stick "inferior" to a player you need to connect via an FM transmitter? The source file compression being equal, the direct connection will sound better all day. Not to mention, controllable via the head unit.

Then you mention the vehicle's environmental deficiencies and claim it doesn't really matter. :unsure:

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is very contradictory and confusing.

How is using an integrated USB memory stick "inferior" to a player you need to connect via an FM transmitter? The source file compression being equal, the direct connection will sound better all day. Not to mention, controllable via the head unit.

Then you mention the vehicle's environmental deficiencies and claim it doesn't really matter. :unsure:
Hello, For my purposes, I have MUCH better control over the Sansa Fuze mp3 and all of my music is already on it so no need to fuss with xfering it to a usb stick, (I know, I'm lazy) And yes the sound in the interior of a moving car IS inferior to a quiet living room! I must also add that my hearing is not at all what it used to be! Lol ymmv!

61 - 78 of 78 Posts