Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Just Purchased my CR V-EX yesterday but it won't be delivered for another week. I was shocked to learn that The new CR V no longer come with a CD player. My wife presently drives our 2010 CR V which comes equipped with a 5 disk CD player which she loves. The dealer said that she can still listen to her favorite tunes via her iPhone or Blue Tooth. Let me explain that my wife at 68 years old is technology challenged and has not a clue what the salesman was saying and would NEVER be able to learn. My thought was to rip all of her favorite tunes from the CDs and load them onto a USB flash drive. Each CD onto a separate folder. My question, can I play the music directly off of the USB flash Drive or will I need a separate mp3 player or iPod or something similar? The car has 2 USB sockets. Why did Honda do this? How do people listen to their books that were on CDs

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
BobG-6

·
Registered
314 Posts
I Just Purchased my CR V-EX yesterday but it won't be delivered for another week. I was shocked to learn that The new CR V no longer come with a CD player. My wife presently drives our 2010 CR V which comes equipped with a 5 disk CD player which she loves. The dealer said that she can still listen to her favorite tunes via her iPhone or Blue Tooth. Let me explain that my wife at 68 years old is technology challenged and has not a clue what the salesman was saying and would NEVER be able to learn. My thought was to rip all of her favorite tunes from the CDs and load them onto a USB flash drive. Each CD onto a separate folder. My question, can I play the music directly off of the USB flash Drive or will I need a separate mp3 player or iPod or something similar? The car has 2 USB sockets. Why did Honda do this? How do people listen to their books that were on CDs

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
BobG-6
You can play music files right off of the flash drive. CDs have become obsolete, everything is downloaded nowadays. Just like cassette tapes players became obsolete CD players have too. Honda isn’t the only car company doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Not sure the hatred for digital media instead of CDs. I get having a bunch of CDs and prefer to be able to use them. Great up until they get scratched. I have books of cds, ripped them all to my computers over 10 years ago.

Never paid stupid money for a freaking Ipod, such a rip off. A regular mp3 player is just as good and 1/10th the cost.

Digital media is also 10x safer than CDs. No fumbling with them trying to dig out a new one or switch them out. Just hit a button and done.

I understand not wanting to waste CDs and not deal with going digital but its so much easier and cheaper in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
only if you are not old fashion and don't burn music. :whistle:

ordered my transmitter yesterday so I can plug my cd player into it.
Lol.

Sound like my Father. I give him crap for it too. Mister "gotta have the latest tech" and too old fashioned to move his music to digital. Im waiting for the day his stereo dies in his 96 F350 (him and I have kept that thing in perfect mechanical condition. Almost 500k miles) cause hes going to get a rude awakening that tech has passed him by for car audio. But he has bluetooth headphones that are also sound dampening for mowing his yard....

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Lol.

Sound like my Father. I give him crap for it too. Mister "gotta have the latest tech" and too old fashioned to move his music to digital. Im waiting for the day his stereo dies in his 96 F350 (him and I have kept that thing in perfect mechanical condition. Almost 500k miles) cause hes going to get a rude awakening that tech has passed him by for car audio. But he has bluetooth headphones that are also sound dampening for mowing his yard....

i find it funny that vinyl albums are back in style. and my turntable still works. :bananawrench:

i took about 50 vinyl albums to a local store, that I didn't want anymore - they gave me $200 for them. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
The $65 usb-cd player I bought on ebay works well, great for books on CD. It just plugs in and works. A USB stick sounds good, when it works, I've found the headunit to be "fussy" about how the stick is set up. I found my old Ipod and plugged it in, it works and sounds great. (For the past several weeks it has been playing all songs, alphabetically. 2000 songs in, and starting the "O's".) I didn't care for the sound through Bluetooth or FM transmitter, and XM has declined in quality. When fed from a good source, FM-HD or CD, the stock Touring system can sound really good.

if you want a CD player, you can have one. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. --Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tried a USB CD player and couldn't make it work. I did buy a few thumb drives and am grinding through the process of transferring music from CDs. It's just a time consuming pain. I've been thinking of taking her to a car stereo place in the spring and seeing what they can do. I at least need to upgrade the speakers. My '01 sounded really good. The '19, kinda flat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you don't mind my asking, what brand CD player did you get to work in your vehicle? I'm sitting here trying to rip CDs and finding a bunch just won't rip, including some favorites.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I found the link to the one I bought, it now shows as sold out, but there are others listed. Mine is absolutely sterile, no brand or labels of any kind. I liked it well enough to order a second, as a spare. CD player on Ebay

·
Registered
1 Posts
The $65 usb-cd player I bought on ebay works well, great for books on CD. It just plugs in and works. A USB stick sounds good, when it works, I've found the headunit to be "fussy" about how the stick is set up. I found my old Ipod and plugged it in, it works and sounds great. (For the past several weeks it has been playing all songs, alphabetically. 2000 songs in, and starting the "O's".) I didn't care for the sound through Bluetooth or FM transmitter, and XM has declined in quality. When fed from a good source, FM-HD or CD, the stock Touring system can sound really good.

if you want a CD player, you can have one. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. --Bob
Can you tell me what type of usb-cd player you purchased? I am not technical, and am thinking about buying a new CR-V. I would like to have the CD player but since they don't come with them, can you please describe your solution? A photo would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Can you tell me what type of usb-cd player you purchased? I am not technical, and am thinking about buying a new CR-V. I would like to have the CD player but since they don't come with them, can you please describe your solution? A photo would be great. Thanks!
He has a link in the post 2 up from yours.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
9 Participants
Mike728
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing