Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have an '02 Honda CR-V, automatic w/ ~130K miles. Recently the engine has been turning off when coming to a stop with very low idles. On my way home, I had to hold the gas slightly at any stops to prevent the engine from shutting off. When it did shut off though, I had to start the engine and give a little gas or it'd shut off immediately.

I checked online forums and many said it's probably a dirty idle air control valve. We take the IACV off, clean it with CRC Throttle & Intake cleaner, let it dry and re-assemble everything. We made sure everything was plugged in, and all the fluids were back to their proper levels (we had to drain the coolant to get to the valve). Upon completion, we tried turning on the car and now there's a no crank no start. No OBDII codes. We had a spare starter motor so we tried replacing that and still no crank no start. Any ideas what could've caused this?

There were no OBDII engine codes before the IACV was cleaned, and none afterwards either.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
You might be dealing with 2 problems. Is this an auto or a manual transmission? If it's auto put it in neutral then see if it cranks. Let me know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. This is an automatic. We've tried putting it in both park and neutral and still no crank no start. I'd like to also add that we checked the battery's voltage as well before/after the repairs so I know for sure it's not a battery issue.

There were also no precipitating factors that led up to this problem. It's been running fine with no engine codes and one day we need to go run errands and then the low idle problem comes up. Now after cleaning the IACV, it doesn't even attempt to start up.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,735 Posts
Sounds as if you disturbed an electrical connection. Obtain a multi-meter and trace the current flow.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Just wanted to confirm that the Starter won't engage when you turn the Key in the Ignition? If so, check for voltage on the terminal going to the starter solenoid while someone have the ignition key in the Start Position. If you have good voltage plug back the terminal with the Ignition key out. Then try to start it again. See if she starts. Let me know.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Go back over the area you worked on and make sure everything is back together.

All lights normal on dash when turning on key?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Could be your neutral position sensor. Check brake pedal switches one is for brake lights another is the safety neutral switch. Idk if the cruise control is using one switch or uses the brake light switch as well but in any case make sure safety neutral switch is working.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for everyone's replies. Hope you all had a great 4th. Didn't get any e-mail notifications about the new posts so just seeing them now.

@otto888man Correct, when trying to start the car there is no engagement. It's complete silence and there's no attempt to start. What would be considered good voltage? Do you have a range? Will check the voltage to the starter this weekend.

@Carbuff2 @Theman5 Yes, we'll check the connections again although we were very careful in counting how many electrical plugs we were disconnecting and reconnecting. Dash lights are all the normal ones you'd expect to be on when the key is in the 'on' position.

@new-2-me-CR_V I will do some digging on the neutral position sensor and safety neutral switch. Are these located somewhere near the brake pedal? Or is it in a fuse box somewhere?

I'd also like to add that we tried using a factory Honda key to make sure there wasn't any issues with our generic replacement key and that didn't seem to make a difference either.

It's been raining quite sporadically in FL so we've put off diagnoses for a while. We'll check all your recommendations and report back.

Thanks again for your time & input!

·
Registered
877 Posts
Test light at starter solenoid will show if circuit OK to that point. If not then test next point towards ign switch. Or divide a conquer. Service manual of some sort valuable.

Where in FL?

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Check the neutral safety switch by putting key in, pressing brake pedal, turn the key to start while moving shifter out of park and down through the gears. When it gets to what it thinks is neutral it will try to start the engine if the switch is going bad. We've had this issue on our odyssey if it's not smacked into park once in a while.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here's the wiring schematic for the starting circuit. I'd check the relay and fuses first, checking for voltage and ground. You should be able to hear the relay make a click sound when you turn the key to start the engine. Have someone do it while you press your ear to it (It should be pretty audible). If you don't hear anything, then take out the relay and check its connections for ground and voltage. Work your way towards whatever is missing. And if by chance everything checks out, test the relay and replace it if necessary.
02 Honda CRV Starting Curcuit.png

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Theman5 Thank you for the link to the service manual, and yes we are planning on testing the starter first. We're located in Orlando, FL near Valencia East Campus. We've been pretty busy with work and a few other projects around the house so this car issue has been at the bottom of our to-do since we haven't had to be out and about much.

@Tigris99 Will try that as well. We only shifted to neutral and tried starting both with foot on brake and no brake with no change.

@TarsalHook We did try putting our ear and finger on that relay under the steering wheel column and we could hear an audible click as well as feel the click on the actual relay. We'll probably have to go through that schematic and go point by point.

Some YouTube videos said to listen for a whirring or buzzing noise near the steering wheel column when trying to start but I could not hear any of the noises mentioned.

Thanks again for everyone's time, help and input. We're going to make it a priority to do some more diagnosis within the next week. Will keep you all posted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts