Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of a sudden none of my flash drives are working. I have one that even lights up to indicate it is connected, but on the screen i keep on getting the No Device Connected message. I have unplugged, turned off and restarted the car, and tried other flash drives that I know are functional. I have also disconnected my iPhone so Carplay is not being used here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, if I had bothered to search thru the forums (I'm new to this forum, so please excuse my laziness) I would have figured out the answer to my problem. I had been using a flash drive onto which I downloaded mp3's from my Mac. This originally worked fine. Then I went back to the Mac and erased the tunes so that I could add new stuff. When you do that thru Disk Utility, it automatically asks you which format to use, and it also automatically asks you if you want Mac formatting. Well, if I had simply trashed the old tunes and reloaded there wouldn't have been any option to change the formatting from the Fat32 that the drive originally was using. So, the moral of the story is, if you are a Mac user, don't change the format that the flash drive shipped with.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Well so much for that...good job figuring it out...listen on...

·
Registered
5 Posts
For me the no device connected message shows up the first thing in the morning. If I pull out the drive and put it back in, it does detect and play music. If I leave the drive as is the only time the car audio is able to read the drive is if I restart my car. This behavior is intermittent. Has anyone else you had such problems before. Mine is a 2019 Honda CR-V. The only other thing that I am going to test out this is by using a brand new flash drive and see if the car audio is able to read it in the morning.

I purchase the car in the month of April and up until October it was all fine with the car audio being able to read the flash drive when I start the car the first time in the morning and any other time during the day when I need to drive the car. However, since last one month it's not reading it in the morning and even if it does by way of restarting the car, pulling out the drive and putting it back in, it doesn't read it sometimes during the day.

If any of you have had such problems and were able to resolve it successfully please let me know. Thank you!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had the same problem with a 32gB thumb drive. I thought it was a size problem (16GB max?), Sample rate (128 KBPS ?). Nope. I left it formatted in NTFS from my PVR which prefers that format (The PVR is embedded windblows, go figure). The odd part is my Linux box didn't complain as I loaded a boatload of MP3s. Reformatted it in FAT32. All good!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem with a 32gB thumb drive. I thought it was a size problem (16GB max?), Sample rate (128 KBPS ?). Nope. I left it formatted in NTFS from my PVR which prefers that format (The PVR is embedded windblows, go figure). The odd part is my Linux box didn't complain as I loaded a boatload of MP3s. Reformatted it in FAT32. All good!
Yes, you are correct. The NTFS format is not supported. However, mine is a FAT32 formatted flash drive. It is 16GB. The problem is that the car audio picks it up intermittently. It does not read the flash drive the first time when I start in the morning. Never! If I pull out and put it back in, it reads. If I restart the car, it reads. My guess is that either the USB port or the flash drive pins are bad which is what is causing this issue. In fact, I reformatted my flash drive yesterday with FAT32 and put it in the USB port. However, it did not read it in the morning as usual. I purchased a new USB 2.0 32GB flash drive. I am going to put some songs and have it in the USB port for the night and see if the car audio is able to read the flash drive. I will let you guys know the results tomorrow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you can find an honest dealership, take it in.
Does not need to be where you bought it, they're seperate businesses.
I've been to the dealership last week and they did some software update that was available then. However that did not resolve the issue. I went to them again yesterday. I explained to them very clearly as to what was happening. They came back saying that the car audio is able to read the flash drive and they were not able to reproduce it. They even said that I can pull out and put the flash drive back in the morning as a work around or I can reach out to Honda America. Seriously!! I went and talked to the service supervisor. He said that I could leave the car overnight and they would see if it is happening in the morning and then take an action based on that. If not, he asked me to try using a new USB and see if the problem isn't with the USB at all first place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you can find an honest dealership, take it in.
Does not need to be where you bought it, they're seperate businesses.
I've been to the dealership last week and they did some software update that was available then. However that did not resolve the issue. I went to them again yesterday. I explained to them very clearly as to what was happening. They came back saying that the car audio is able to read the flash drive and they were not able to reproduce it. They even said that I can pull out and put the flash drive back in the morning as a work around or I can reach out to Honda America. Seriously!! I went and talked to the service supervisor. He said that I could leave the car overnight and they would tsee if it is happening in the morning and then take an action based on that. If not, he asked me to try using a new USB and see if the problem isn't with the USB at all first place
That's exactly what the Owners Manual says.
That's exactly what the Owners Manual says.
Ah! Page number please

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Ah! Page number please
In the copy I have of the 2019 Owners Manual it's in the middle of the shaded section on Page 231.

If the audio system does not recognize the iPod, try reconnecting it a few times or reboot the device. To reboot, follow the manufacturer’s instructions provided with the iPod or visit www.apple.com/ipod.
Obviously you can't "reboot" a USB drive, but you can also connect an iPod via it's USB port.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, you are correct. The NTFS format is not supported. ...
A thousand pardons sir. I was responding to the OP.

Your problem is quite different (and frustrating). The odd part is that it is read perfectly by your computer. So if there is a mechanical connection problem it would be in the car. Although having the USB port located in the armrest and keeping expensive connected electronics out of sight is a good idea; personally I'm a bit troubled by the effect of something slamming into the thumb drive as I hit the brakes. That impact could damage the USB connector.

That said, I'm thinking of what I could place over the thumb drive to prevent this in the future.

In the FWIW department, my old Odyssey CD player would play MP3s. However, it couldn't quite get come to grips with Variable Bit Rate (VBR) MP3s and hang when it found one. After an eternity of waiting it would go to the next playable file. It's a long shot, but are all the songs on the drive similar sample rate? I seriously doubt that is the problem, but I'll throw the idea out there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you all. I finally figured out the problem. My flash drive seems to be at fault with the car audio. Ironically, it works on my computer, with my mobile phone, but for some reason the car audio is not reading it consistently. I used a brand new 32GB USB 2.0 flash drive to test. The car audio was consistently able to read it anytime I turn on the audio.
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and recommendations.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts