Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I have a 2004 Honda CRV. with 128000 miles on it. I just replaced the radiator and hoses because the car started to over heat. The radiator was leaking and starting to fall apart where the top hose connected to it . After replacing the parts I got stuck in traffic and the temp gauge climbed to 3/4 of the way up. But after traffic cleared up the temp went down once air flowed thru it. I checked for obstructions and found none. I checked the fuse box in the engine compartment and they where fine. The radiator fan never kicks on and the ac fan dosnt kick on when the ac is turned on. I have read that it could be the relay but how do I check it. And if I wanted to check the fan should I a probe to see if power is getting to the connector? I am thinking both fans are dead because i never remember hearing them kick on. The car is 13 years old so things could fail. Any other tips or things I can check on?

Thanks

Jerry

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,538 Posts
First of all, make sure that you have properly purged air from your cooling system. This can sometimes be a chore. It can take up to 10 drive cycles.

Easiest/safest way to check the relay is to swap an identical part number, then see if the fans work when the A/C is engaged.

Yes, you could use a multimeter to see if there is voltage at the fan plugs. Check the grounds too for a high resistance or open circuit.

PS, I can't hear the fans in my '06 unless I have the windows down.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Both fans should turn on when the AC is turned on regardless of the temp.

In the Under the Hood fuse/relay box, fuse #1 20A is for the condenser fan and fuse #4 20A is for the radiator fan.
I don't know which fuse feeds the power to those relays that supply voltage to the fans. I believe those relays' coils are feed by a 7.5A fuse in the under the dash fuse/relay box. This is likely the problem. In a 2000 CRV it is fuse #17 7.5A in the under dash fuse/relay box. Yours will most likely be a different #. That single fuse will prevent BOTH relays from energizing, if it is blown, so neither fan will work.

Is there anything else electrical that doesn't work?

You should be able to find the fan connector near the radiator and feed the fan 12 volts to see if the fan will spin rapidly. If so, then the problem is further up the line and that fan the OK. Do it for the other fan also. Beware that when you put the + on the #2 pin and the neg on the #1 ping, it is easy to short out those two wires. :(
Testing the connectors with a voltmeter will also let you know if the voltage at the connector is present with the ignition on and the AC turned on and the motor off.

Check for that 7.5A fuse in the under the dash fuse/relay box FIRST..

Please post back when you correct the problem.

Buffalo4

·
Registered
224 Posts
MAKE SURE YOU CONNECTED ALL THE PLUGS,

also you can put straight voltage to the fan and see if it works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for quick response. I didnt know there was a under dash fuse for the fans. I just assumed the one in the engine compartment was the only one. Also if I am checking the relay in the same location as under the dash fuse box?
Thanks
Jerry

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Post back if you find the fuse blown under the dash.
One fuse controls the power 'to' the relay's coils (lower amp fuse) which closes its contacts, and another controls the power to the contacts that close to power the fans.
Buffalo4

1 - 6 of 6 Posts