Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honda offers a trailer hitch accessory on standard CRV models but not for the Hybrid.
Structurally I'd think the 2 bodies are the same but in a rear end collision perhaps a trailer
tongue being driven into the back of a hybrid would be a liability disaster.
I may contact Honda for their position on this.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,136 Posts
Honda USA's prohibition about towing may not be a result of structure.

Is the battery in the 'spare tire well' under the cargo area? As you said, perhaps there is a concern about liability if a rear end collision occurs.
Is there a cooling system for the hybrid battery?

·
Registered
568 Posts
yes there is a cooling system for the battery
the inlet vent is beside the side of the rear seat
I think the battery is where the spare wheel would of been

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Small hybrids are not designed for towing. Kind of dumb honestly to buy a hybrid if towing a trailer is needed.

Now adding a hitch for say a bike rack, doubt there is a reason you cannot. However Honda isnt going to offer a towing package for a vehicle that isnt designed (and defeats any purpose of owning) for towing.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honda offers a trailer hitch accessory on standard CRV models but not for the Hybrid.
Structurally I'd think the 2 bodies are the same but in a rear end collision perhaps a trailer
tongue being driven into the back of a hybrid would be a liability disaster.
I may contact Honda for their position on this.
Small hybrids are not designed for towing. Kind of dumb honestly to buy a hybrid if towing a trailer is needed.

Now adding a hitch for say a bike rack, doubt there is a reason you cannot. However Honda isnt going to offer a towing package for a vehicle that isnt designed (and defeats any purpose of owning) for towing.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
American Honda states the Hybrid 'is not designed to tow a trailer', giving no explanation why.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Hybrid SR Crystal Red Metallic
413 Posts
See attached pic.
As said in numerous previous posts European CRVs can tow a trailer up to 750kgs and as far as I know has the same powertrain as the US Hybrid.

It's been suggested it's due to varying legislation between countries but Hondas explanation categorically states it's a powertrain limitation.

I'd be asking Honda to explain this disparity especially if I wanted a hitch fitted.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As you all know CRVs' have the CVT drive train,w/the hybrid being an e- version. We don't know specifically why this is a problem.
This was my 2nd email to them, explaining my 'continuous correspondence' remark; they told me nothing on the 1st.
I DO have a very light duty trailer and was considering putting on their accessory hitch; but have access to an 08 CRV that I use for my very occasional tow.
I told them this needs to be disclosed up front when all the other trims can tow.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Hybrid SR Crystal Red Metallic
413 Posts
As you all know CRVs' have the CVT drive train,w/the hybrid being an e- version. We don't know specifically why this is a problem.
This was my 2nd email to them, explaining my 'continuous correspondence' remark; they told me nothing on the 1st.
I DO have a very light duty trailer and was considering putting on their accessory hitch; but have access to an 08 CRV that I use for my very occasional tow.
I told them this needs to be disclosed up front when all the other trims can tow.
There's a couple of very informative posts dotted about explaining exactly what the Hybrid drivetrain consists of and it's not a CVT not even an e-CVT. Like you I was initially misinformed but thankfully a few forum members put me right. Read through the posts there's some excellent informative posts regarding the powertrain setup.

There's also a train of thought that it's up to you to ask the question regarding towing capability before signing on the dotted line. I personally would have thought the dealer or promotional literature might be a little more forthcoming in highlighting this obvious omission. Maybe Honda prefers to keep quiet about certain limitations.

Nearly forgot. Nobody buys a CRV to tow; that's quite a popular forum consensus.

Still confused as to why it can't tow a light trailer as in the UK and clarity as to whether a hitch can be fitted to provide anchorage for a cycle carrier. Obviously this issue doesn't affect me but it would be nice to hear what Honda has to say.

If the no tow limitation is governed by the powertrain then questions need to be asked over this side of the pond as to whether the current recommended loads stated for the UK versions could in fact damage the drivetrain.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Global.honda is their worldwide web page going into more detail in the Technology link on the hybrid lineup and are called Electrified vehicles.
American Honda does call all these as CVT drive trains although I've read these hybrids do not have traditional transmissions.
Hybrids are the future. Expensive rare earth material have been substituted w/cheaper man made magnet material.
I think the tow issue is more political than anything having to do w/drive train reliability.
I had a hitch on a 2010 Insight that clearly was never meant to tow but I did very, very,very light duty w/a very light trailer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Temps of various components on hybrids are monitored very closely by the computer. The main ION battery has its own cooling fan.
The 2 electric motors which do all the heavy grunt (torque) work may not have dedicated cooling and I suspect that may be the reason
for 'no tow'.
The 6th gen CRV in 2021? may be upgraded to tow, the Accords' newer display screen and windshield heads-up display added.......we'll see.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,196 Posts
Temps of various components on hybrids are monitored very closely by the computer. The main ION battery has its own cooling fan.
The 2 electric motors which do all the heavy grunt (torque) work may not have dedicated cooling and I suspect that may be the reason
for 'no tow'.
The 6th gen CRV in 2021? may be upgraded to tow, the Accords' newer display screen and windshield heads-up display added.......we'll see.
I suspect we wont see a 6th Gen until ...2023? 2020 was the "mid-cycle refresh"

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I suspect we wont see a 6th Gen until ...2023? 2020 was the "mid-cycle refresh"
Unless Honda changes their five-year cycle the previous four CR-Vs have had (and their cars for that matter--the Pilot, Ridgeline, Passport and Odyssey follow different schedules), 2022 would be the 6th generation. (2017, 18, 19, with 2020 and 21 as the 'refreshed' version.)

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,099 Posts
Unless Honda changes their five-year cycle the previous four CR-Vs have had (and their cars for that matter--the Pilot, Ridgeline, Passport and Odyssey follow different schedules), 2022 would be the 6th generation. (2017, 18, 19, with 2020 and 21 as the 'refreshed' version.)
Given the impacts of the COVID-19 virus, as well as the current Hybrid CR-V being so new, I think that that 5 year cycle is out the window.

Otherwise, why would folks be buying this generation model when a new one is potentially just 18 months away? If it were me, I'd wait for the newer model.

I think Gen6 will not see the light of day until 2023 - that would give the new Hybrid a good 3 year run in the USA.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
The hybrid was released outside the US prior to it launching here, so it isn't really "new." Honda has introduced quite a few new features during a mid-cycle refresh over the years.

Engineering and R&D take place over several years--they won't suddenly shift plans for a couple months' disruption to the economy. Even through 2008-2009 when the economy tanked, it did not shift their plans for the CR-V or other models. If it comes later than five years, it would be due to already having plans in place for a six-year cycle. None of us will know this until we hear of a next-gen CR-V, though. I'm hearing rumors the current Civic might have a six year cycle. I really wish they'd go back to four years, as that's about when these models start getting stale. Six years is pushing Big 3 territory, pushing out the same stale product for too long. With all the problems the 5th gen has had (oil dilution, faulty nanny features, poor head units), they'd be better off retiring this PR nightmare as soon as they can and starting fresh with something not so problematic.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,511 Posts
Bottom line here.. Honda is generally conservative with their powertrain designs and specifications of use, and always has been. It IS reasonable to assume that with electric drive motors to the wheels of the hybrid, and no CVT.. just a single gear ratio applied at highway speeds...those motors may not be robustly designed for the extra load presented by various towing setups.

Given that they would need to pass a formal SAE test to certify the Hybrid for towing in the US market, and given that the driving motive for spending extra money to obtain a hybrid is commuter fuel economy, and given that CRVs have never been deliberately designed for towing (modest towing limits demonstrate this historically)..... I am in no way surprised that Honda simply does not spec the hybrid for towing. That does not mean it cannot reliably tow loads similar to the gas powered versions... only that Honda has not specified it and therefore is not liable for any failures.

Simple at this really.

Personally, I see Honda as never making CRVs real towing capable vehicles... because they have three actual other models designed for towing: Ridgeline, Passport, and Pilot.... all of which have much smaller volume sales... which to me indicates a low demand for real towing capability by Honda consumers.

Honda DOES NOT design for the "corner case" needs of specific consumers, they design for the masses.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,196 Posts
I have seen prius' tow stuff.
Perhaps they bought the Prius when their situation was different.

EDIT: Apparently, Prius towing capacity is 1,600 lbs

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have seen prius' tow stuff.

I’ve seen many. I remember laughing passing one pulled a large camper. the prius looked tiny.

I ve many times carried 1-1/2 tons in my 1/2 ton truck. Yes, I know, i’m a bad boy.

If I mistakenly bought the hybrid, and I had planned to pull a light trailer occasionally with it: Would I put a hitch on it. You bet!
Drive it slow at first, to get a feel for it.
Pulling a small trailer on flat roads is no more strain on the drivetrain than driving uphill. Is the hybrid not allowed to drive up mountain auto roads?

1 - 20 of 92 Posts