Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 Touring. I know I must be missing something but I have no back lighting on any of my steering wheel controls or the climate control buttons.

·
Registered
491 Posts
2018 Touring. I know I must be missing something but I have no back lighting on any of my steering wheel controls or the climate control buttons.
The steering wheel and climate controls are back lit on my 2018 Touring.

Did you try adjusting the brightness control knob on the dash? The brightness can be set differently for when the exterior lights are on, and when they are off. Details on P. 188 Owners Manual.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turning the knob on the dash panel does nothing, parked or driving. There is never a beep to signal max or min brightness either.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Turning the knob on the dash panel does nothing, parked or driving. There is never a beep to signal max or min brightness either.
Same with my EX. No lit-up steering wheel controls, no response with the knob, no beep. I also tried per the manual instructions (Ignition on, parking lights on). I hope someone on this forum has a clue.

·
Registered
434 Posts
No lit-up steering wheel controls, no response with the knob, no beep. I also tried per the manual instructions (Ignition on, parking lights on). I hope someone on this forum has a clue.
The knob on the dash does not control the brightness as you folks have found out for models with Display Audio like the Touring, etc. With the vehicle at a complete stop in a dark garage or at night try this. Power mode in ON, lights ON or on Auto, go to the Display Audio screen, select Home, Settings, Vehicle, Lighting Setup, and see if one of the options there allows you to get your lights back by adjusting the interior sensitivity. Good luck.

Edit: The first sentence above is not correct. The knob does control the brightness but only when it is very dark. In any kind of light, even at dusk, it does not. There are settings that adjust the sensitivity as I mentioned above. Pls. see my post on page 2.

·
Registered
607 Posts
There Is A Fix

First let me mention that my 2017 EXL has back lighted steering wheel controls.
And every back lighted control in the interior including the Display Audio Infotainment display dims by using the Trip Knob/Brightness Control.

Now it wasn’t always that way. We don’t drive much at night so we never really checked for the first year and a half. Then in May of 2018 my infotainment display did the infamous “Brightness graph/blank screen repeat forever” thing a couple of times. That is when I discovered that the dimmer knob did nothing except reset trip data. I mentioned all this to my dealer when I was there for other warranty work. They applied a “Honda released Software update to repair this concern” and everything mentioned above has worked perfectly since. So there has been a fix for this since early June 2018.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The knob on the dash does not control the brightness as you folks have found out for models with Display Audio like the Touring, etc. With the vehicle at a complete stop in a dark garage or at night try this. Power mode in ON, lights ON or on Auto, go to the Display Audio screen, select Home, Settings, Vehicle, Lighting Setup, and see if one of the options there allows you to get your lights back by adjusting the interior sensitivity. Good luck.
Thanks. I'll definitely try this. If it doesn't resolve, I have a service appointment next week and I'll have the dealer check it out.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The dash knob on my 2018 Touring does control my dash and interior lighting brightness, but only when it is dark outside. During the day the dash lighting defaults to a brighter setting which is not adjustable by the dash knob.

The center display screen has its own brightness control for day and night settings.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The dash knob on my 2018 Touring does control my dash and interior lighting brightness, but only when it is dark outside. During the day the dash lighting defaults to a brighter setting which is not adjustable by the dash knob.

The center display screen has its own brightness control for day and night settings.
You are right, thanks! I have an 18 Touring also and it is in the garage at the moment but I have 3 large windows and it is sunny here. So I covered the light sensors with a black rug and sure enough the knob does controls the brightness when it appears "dark", not when it is bright.

FWIW... The day I bought the car at dusk time, not completely dark yet, the salesman was showing me the features of the CR-V. I tried to dim the dash by turning the knob just like my previous Hondas and my wife's 2010. It would not dim. The salesman then called his "dealership expert" who came over and he could not get it to dim. The "expert" then went to another Touring on the lot, it would not dim either. The "expert", with the salesman and me inside, drove the other Touring inside the repair bay to a dark spot (the shop was closed by then). It still would not dim, apparently not dark enough. So the "expert" told me that it was "apparently auto" adjusted as it got real dark and the knob did not control it on this trim. Some kind of "expert"... And since my night drives are usually in city lights it had not been an issue for me and I had not tried it.

To the OP: I would still try the Sensitivity Settings I suggested since they do influence when the "dark" settings come on.

·
Registered
491 Posts
To the OP: I would still try the Sensitivity Settings I suggested since they do influence when the "dark" settings come on.[/QUOTE said:
Note that the "Auto Interior Illumination Sensitivity", which can be adjusted under Lighting Setup, only works when the headlight switch is in the AUTO position, as noted on P. 380 of the 2018 Owners Manual.

·
Registered
653 Posts
You are right, thanks! I have an 18 Touring also and it is in the garage at the moment but I have 3 large windows and it is sunny here. So I covered the light sensors with a black rug and sure enough the knob does controls the brightness when it appears "dark", not when it is bright.

FWIW... The day I bought the car at dusk time, not completely dark yet, the salesman was showing me the features of the CR-V. I tried to dim the dash by turning the knob just like my previous Hondas and my wife's 2010. It would not dim. The salesman then called his "dealership expert" who came over and he could not get it to dim. The "expert" then went to another Touring on the lot, it would not dim either. The "expert", with the salesman and me inside, drove the other Touring inside the repair bay to a dark spot (the shop was closed by then). It still would not dim, apparently not dark enough. So the "expert" told me that it was "apparently auto" adjusted as it got real dark and the knob did not control it on this trim. Some kind of "expert"... And since my night drives are usually in city lights it had not been an issue for me and I had not tried it.

To the OP: I would still try the Sensitivity Settings I suggested since they do influence when the "dark" settings come on.
Well, I tried mine at dusk, just before full-on dark, and the knob on the dash would not function.

I waited 2 hours, started the car, turned on the parking lights (per my 2017 manual) and the knob worked -- it adjusts the dash brightness, the steering wheel backlights and beeps when you reach max brightness.

Thankfully, by turning it down 1 notch, it dims that bright red power/ignition light, but doesn't affect much else.

·
Registered
83 Posts
A similar thing happened to me too. In my case it's because the dealer doesn't install a fuse at the right time when they're quality checking the car. (fuse 18 is pulled in transit so it doesn't wear the battery down)

The solution for me was to unplug the battery for about 10 minutes, and then reconnect it. You only need to undo the positive lead for the battery.

This resets the car and you'll find automatic lights and wipers work properly afterwards.

If that doesn't work, it's something else.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts