Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 03 and I'm stocking up on maintenance parts. I see a very long history of the 15400-plm-a01 vs a02 battle. Problem is I can't find any a01s on amazon or ebay anymore. I see a lot of RTA-004. Most of these threads are old now, what's the latest on the preferred oil filter?

Side note, Bosch 3323 says "Filtech" on it.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I won't allow Bosch parts anywhere near a vehicle I own, after one of their spark plugs shattered and destroyed a cylinder head in the Civic. Their sensors are also trash, notorious for not working properly. I wouldn't trust my engine with an oil filter that had their name on it.

Anyway...I've purchased Mobil 1 filters for decades and have never had an issue. Others like Fram (I personally don't, for a few reasons). Wix is supposed to be a good quality filter also. I would get any good name brand filter and not worry about it. I get the Mobil 1 filters when they have a local sale on an oil and filter package deal.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see it's rated for up to 20k that seems extreme. What do you run on your intervals? For my other rigs I do 5-7k depending on the car. Even though these oils are formulated for longevity my mechanic buddy put it in a way for me to grasp...these motors aren't. They are designed to burn a certain way and that leads deposits into the oil so 3-5k no matter how fancy the oil

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I prefer oem but I've heard the a02s blow. Some people like Baldwin's too. I'll look into mobile 1
Why would you prefer OEM when it comes to oil filters, esp Honda ones?
Perhaps you would learn something about oil filters if you actually did some of your own research into oil filters.
Overall, the quality and viscosity of the motor oil is MUCH more important.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm still reading up on the Hondas but for my 4runner I only use the extended canister Tundra/4runner from toyota and tests have shown that one to be awesome as well. So i started researching that here and I've found some good information, but since the A01 vs A02 debate years ago, I'm wondering if the A01 stock has run out and now people need to find aftermarket ones but there isn't much of a consensus. You are absolutely correct that oil matters more, but a crap filter can do harm to a motor as well, especially if it doesn't allow proper drainback. The filtration honestly matters less to me since with regular intervals, you're not allowing deposits to build up that much, and today's oils are much better with their detergents.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I'm still reading up on the Hondas but for my 4runner I only use the extended canister Tundra/4runner from toyota and tests have shown that one to be awesome as well. So i started researching that here and I've found some good information, but since the A01 vs A02 debate years ago, I'm wondering if the A01 stock has run out and now people need to find aftermarket ones but there isn't much of a consensus. You are absolutely correct that oil matters more, but a crap filter can do harm to a motor as well, especially if it doesn't allow proper drainback. The filtration honestly matters less to me since with regular intervals, you're not allowing deposits to build up that much, and today's oils are much better with their detergents.
Do some research on oil filters. Fram, has a decent video on their testing, and don't believe all those Fram bashing self promoting idiots you see on youtube. They look at the insides of filters and proclaim them good or bad but have no experience on how filters actually work and perform. Fram did have some problems years ago BUT so did a lot of others, including
A little honest researching should allay your concerns about oil filters causing harm to your engine. Using a top brand name oil filter should pose no risk. Some of those youtube guys bitch about the 'paper' end caps and loudly proclaim that that is junk, when, in reality, they don't even understand the purpose of end caps. Some very expensive cars' OEM oil filters don't even have end caps, let alone metal ones.
Me, I spend a little more and buy a top rated one like the Fram Ultra Synthetic. Why, I just feel better about it and believe the promotional hype and posts on BITLOG (BobIsTheOilGuy.com).
Most of the top brand oil filters are at least equal and most are better than the Honda OEM,
Is the Honda OEM good enought? For sure.
Remember, even the A02 is made to Honda specs, so if there is a major deficiency with the A02, why does Honda still support it as their OEM?
You say the tests on the 'extended canister Tundra/4runner' were awesome, what did those test consist of?
You do know that you could make an oil filter out of platinum with titanium end caps, etc and it would be higher quality, but, will it actually be better than the cheaper cans on a normal automobile.
Buffalo4
Buffalo4

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.