Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm siting in the Honda dealership near my house getting my 2017 CR-V serviced. I was discussing how much I like my car with a salesman and found out they have absolutely NO NEW CARS for sale. The only cars they have on the lot are already sold.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,729 Posts
Pretty much the same story here, though they did have a Black Edition Pilot for sale, for $52K. They got a Ridgeline in that was gone in 2 hours.
The used lot is a vast wasteland too.
The independent used lots seem to have a lot of cars, but unless I knew where they came from and under what circumstances I'd stay away.
There has been a lot of flooding lately.
(I just checked out of curiosity, that Pilot was sold the day I saw it)

·
Super Moderator
3,729 Posts
Moving to "Shopping and Test Driving" since it seems more appropriate.

Reactions: Carbuff2

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
846 Posts
Pretty much the same story here, though they did have a Black Edition Pilot for sale, for $52K. They got a Ridgeline in that was gone in 2 hours.
The used lot is a vast wasteland too.
The independent used lots seem to have a lot of cars, but unless I knew where they came from and under what circumstances I'd stay away.
There has been a lot of flooding lately.
(I just checked out of curiosity, that Pilot was sold the day I saw it)
Still 46 CRVs at my closest dealer, 36 are leftover 2021. 5 of the 10 2022s are Hybrids.

·
Super Moderator
3,729 Posts
Still 46 CRVs at my closest dealer, 36 are leftover 2021. 5 of the 10 2022s are Hybrids.
Wow.
Something has happened locally here. Dealer apparently got a (note the singular) 2021 Cr-V Touring in, in "Aegean Blue Metallic".
17 people are viewing it online right now, won't last long.

Reactions: TheChamp76

·
Registered
21 CRV EX-L FWD
65 Posts
Same issue here, 2 new ones and that's it! Don't see how some of them will stay in business.

·
Super Moderator
3,729 Posts
Same issue here, 2 new ones and that's it! Don't see how some of them will stay in business.
It's hurting them in other ways.
Dealers make most of their money on service. With no new vehicles being sold not as many will be coming in for service in the next few years.
Vehicles under warranty tend to go to dealers for service more than older cars.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,025 Posts
The dealer I buy from has just over 70 new vehicles on their lot right now. Two things unusual though... 16 of them are Clarity Fuel Cell (which largely sit on lots, even in California), and their complete Accord inventory is down to 4, which is unheard of for them as they get one of the larger allocations from Honda each month. They are out of ICE CRVs, but have a half a dozen hybrids on the lot.

The dealer I get my Honda's serviced at has just over a hundred on the lot, including some CRVs, but they are notorious for markups above MSRP (which is why I refuse to buy vehicles from them) so this does not surprise me.

It's a bad time to be in the market as a buyer for a new or used vehicle. I expect it will not normalized until summer of 2022.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,025 Posts
So we know the major manufacturers are struggling with supply chain issues due to world wide parts shortages.

We also know that over the last year, just as air travel ground to a halt in the pandemic, so did commuting to work for many many folks. So, vehicles are simply not getting as many miles on them, which means many owners will continue to hold on to a vehicle longer than they might otherwise.

We also know that modern motor vehicle manufacturing follows very tight inventory control and supply chain float both for incoming parts and outgoing vehicles. And in such a manufacturing model, you have to have good enough analytics and data from the market to be able to project a balanced build rate so that vehicles are not sitting parked and aging after leaving the manufacturing floors.

I think all of this is reflected in a very tight market that manufacturers are being very careful about run rates in their factories as a result. Which in turn puts supply issues in the market, and that in turn causes buyers to seek used vehicles, which then puts pressure on that market as well.

It took a year for this to get all wound around the axle, so I fully expect it will take a year to unwind and get back to normal, as people are hitting the road more, driving more, and demanding more new vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
3,729 Posts

·
Registered
2013 EX
211 Posts
Guess I would have to learn how to do uber or lift....:oops:

Edit: Heck- I have 3 children- all grown, but I could expect them to taxi me around.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,093 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Another used vehicle I was considering was a Mazda CX-5. I saw a 2013 increase in price about $2,000 in 3 or so weeks. Used Honda CR-Vs go fast in these parts, I put a deposit on a 2012 EX today. I'm looking at it as we speak on the right amongst the other ads, Of course the new vehicle shortage has caused price increases on used vehicles, or at least the better ones like Hondas it seems,

·
Registered
2013 EX
211 Posts
I bought my 13 crv back in March....it took me about 6 weeks to find one that actually sat still long enough for me to test drive it. Most I found were sold by time I got to them.
I'm hanging on to mine til I hit the lottery or dogecoin goes to the moon.....guess that might be a while?

·
Premium Member
2018 Honda CRV EX-L
425 Posts
My dealers main display is now used cars. No new cars to display. There are 20 CRV coming. They are already sold. Expected arrival date unknown. They are selling for over a little over MRSP. I got my 2018 (in 2018) for $3000 under MRSP. Times are changing.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
7,558 Posts
Over on this side of the pond, pricing is just as crazy.

I was scouring online at Civic Type-R's.

Saw one dealer selling a 2019 model for more than list price at nearly £37k! :eek: :oops:

·
Super Moderator
3,729 Posts
Dealers here are importing late model used vehicles from Canada, in particular F-150s.
They have to modify them to US standards, for example TPMS is not required in Canada so they have to add that.
The dealer handles all that, and the title paperwork, so it's like buying a domestic vehicle to the buyer.
But I can't imagine the Canadian supply will last long. :)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts