Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought my 13 crv back in March....it took me about 6 weeks to find one that actually sat still long enough for me to test drive it...
That's about how long it took me to find the 2012.. The used car dealer said 'Honda dealers don't have new cars...' which may be accurate and maybe a way to justify not being very negotiable on used vehicle pricing. It was tough to decide between that and an '09 EX. Both about the same mileage, both would not last long on the lot. It seems especially lately a 10 or so year old CR-Vs that I was watching would last about a week or two.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Dealers here are importing late model used vehicles from Canada, in particular F-150s.
They have to modify them to US standards, for example TPMS is not required in Canada so they have to add that.
The dealer handles all that, and the title paperwork, so it's like buying a domestic vehicle to the buyer.
But I can't imagine the Canadian supply will last long. :)
Yep. Its nutts. The price of pickups has sky rocketed on this side of the border. My nieces bf actively buys pickups and transports them across the border.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
868 Posts
This would seem to indicate there are lots (relatively speaking) of CR-Vs in inventory.

To aid in your new-car quest, we've created this list of the vehicles in each of the most popular segments that have the highest amount of units in inventory. The list below is based on data from Wards Auto's inventory report, which details the number of vehicles in stock nationwide as of the end of September.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,081 Posts
This would seem to indicate there are lots (relatively speaking) of CR-Vs in inventory.

To aid in your new-car quest, we've created this list of the vehicles in each of the most popular segments that have the highest amount of units in inventory. The list below is based on data from Wards Auto's inventory report, which details the number of vehicles in stock nationwide as of the end of September.

Yeah, without seeing the Wards database, hard to say.

I suspect that if Honda CRVs are really in plentiful supply in the market right now, there would be more on random checks of dealer inventories than we typically see reported by members here. Around here, all the dealers I checked, they are extremely low in stock on CRVs, and most of what they are offering appear to be from the next incoming allocation shipment from Honda to the dealer.

Could be shortages in some states and surplus in others, but I tend to doubt that. Reason: Honda runs monthly shipments based on an allocation plan for each dealer that factors in prior months sales, and other dealer specific performance variables that set monthly allocation. Better dealers in terms of selling history, as well as their collected Honda survey scoring from owners for sales and service are large factors in which dealer gets what on any given month of allocations.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,796 Posts
In the past, at least around here, a dealer that didn't have what you wanted could get it from another dealer, over a wide area.
That seems to be over for now, if it's not on the lot they can't get it.
I know a fellow who made money transporting cars from dealer to dealer, he says that work's gone.
Guess he's a "Hidden Casualty" of the current shortage.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,081 Posts
In the past, at least around here, a dealer that didn't have what you wanted could get it from another dealer, over a wide area.
That seems to be over for now, if it's not on the lot they can't get it.
I know a fellow who made money transporting cars from dealer to dealer, he says that work's gone.
Guess he's a "Hidden Casualty" of the current shortage.
While some brands had this practice where I live in the past (and may still), Honda dealers appear very unwilling to exchange inventory to close a customer sale. Instead, around here they will look up if there is an appropriate vehicle at another dealer in the valley and if so.. they just send you over to that dealer. This predates the supply shortages currently disrupting inventory supplies.

And since many CRVs are sold via a deposit hold in advance of the vehicle arriving at the dealership, there is little actual opportunity for dealers to exchange VINs for selling purposes.

I'm not actually even sure if Honda Corporate allows dealers to trade VINs with each other. Since Honda very tightly controls monthly allocations to dealers, based on certain dealer performance metrics, I kind of doubt Honda would allow free exchange between dealers of vehiclesf.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
And since many CRVs are sold via a deposit hold in advance of the vehicle arriving at the dealership, there is little actual opportunity for dealers to exchange VINs for selling purposes.

I'm not actually even sure if Honda Corporate allows dealers to trade VINs with each other. Since Honda very tightly controls monthly allocations to dealers, based on certain dealer performance metrics, I kind of doubt Honda would allow free exchange between dealers of vehiclesf.
The cases I'm aware of were swaps of otherwise identical vehicles for color preference or something like that.
It's not like any dealer was getting "more" cars then they were allocated. They could only swap car for car.
I can't see Honda having an issue with that, as long as the dealers involved absorb any costs of transport.

Reactions: JB in AZ

·
Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
974 Posts
Probably sure that what I'm about to post can't happen now with the vehicle shortage we're presently in.

Dealers can move cars from one showroom in their network to another. Two years ago, our most recent CRV was originally sent to a showroom in Weatherford, TX, 270 miles away. When that particular model didn't sell, it was shipped to the local showroom of that dealership group. All this was checked via the VIN.

·
Registered
2018 Honda CRV EX-L
170 Posts
The lease on our 2018 CR-V was up mid September, but I extended it month to month up to 6 months because the dealer had zero cars we wanted. I don’t know what the situation will look like come March but we may move on to other makes beside Honda. Liking the Mazda CX-5 so who knows! Strange time in US car sales.

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L w/ NAV
999 Posts
The CX5 is a great car but be aware it is smaller both in cargo area and seating. Other than that I'd buy one.

·
Registered
2013 CR-V EXL
9 Posts
I'm a service advisor for Honda, very small lot in rural SC, we have very limited inventory, maybe 2 CRV's, no Odysseys, no Pilots, a few HRV's, and a handful of Civics and Accords, Our GM has gone so far as to buy up vehicles at auction, just to give the appearance of a better stocked lot, we have a Ford dealership next door, and it's even worse for them. I get so tired of having to answer the same questions.."Where are all of the cars?" "aRe Ya'LL gOiNg OuT oF BuSiNeSs??!!"

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
I'm a service advisor for Honda, very small lot in rural SC, we have very limited inventory, maybe 2 CRV's, no Odysseys, no Pilots, a few HRV's, and a handful of Civics and Accords, Our GM has gone so far as to buy up vehicles at auction, just to give the appearance of a better stocked lot, we have a Ford dealership next door, and it's even worse for them. I get so tired of having to answer the same questions.."Where are all of the cars?" "aRe Ya'LL gOiNg OuT oF BuSiNeSs??!!"
Same thing here, the dealerships are vast wastelands, yet the independent used lots seem to be full. I'm guessing auction cars from flooded areas?
All the dealers have "Buying Used Cars for Cash" signs as well.
And cars are bad enough, try finding a late-model pickup in good shape.
I'm starting to see a lot of Titans around, never used to see them. Guess people buy what they can get.
I'm also seeing a lot of "Carmax" stickers on cars.

Reactions: stepasyd

·
Registered
2021 Honda CR-V Touring AWD
38 Posts
Seeing this post makes me feel so lucky. Back in March 2021, picked up a brand new 2021 Honda Crv Touring in Aegean Blue metallic. While I was at the dealership at that time, it was starting to get bad in terms of how many cars were on the lot. Today in my location you would not see any new cars on the lot, not even a single Crv. Perfect timing I suppose. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Same thing here, the dealerships are vast wastelands, yet the independent used lots seem to be full. I'm guessing auction cars from flooded areas?
All the dealers have "Buying Used Cars for Cash" signs as well.
And cars are bad enough, try finding a late-model pickup in good shape.
I'm starting to see a lot of Titans around, never used to see them. Guess people buy what they can get.
I'm also seeing a lot of "Carmax" stickers on cars.
If it lasts very long (and I'm hearing mid-2020), we'll see dealerships closing or at a minimum consolidating. How do the salesman survive?

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,113 Posts
If it lasts very long (and I'm hearing mid-2020), we'll see dealerships closing or at a minimum consolidating. How do the salesman survive?
LOL, mid 2020? I suspect that you mean mid 2022.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm siting in the Honda dealership near my house getting my 2017 CR-V serviced. I was discussing how much I like my car with a salesman and found out they have absolutely NO NEW CARS for sale. The only cars they have on the lot are already sold.
Our dealership is a wasteland as well. They told me their normal 400 car inventory is down to 7. The only one I saw was a $53,000 Pilot. The mega-dealership is down to nothing on every lot except Nissan. Someone told me last night that their daughter just bought an Armada because it was the only large SUV she could get and they had several. That was at a different dealer, so apparently Nissan is holding up better than most. Or nobody wants them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Our local Honda Dealership in the suburbs of Portland Oregon has:

1 CR-V, and 11 "in transit"
2 Civics, 9 "in transit"
5 Accords, 4 "in transit"
0 HR-V, 25 "in transit"
12 Pilots, 6 "in transit"

That's a wasteland compared to normal.
But it's a slight improvement over last month. Slight.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The way things going, I wager more like the end of 2023-2024 that's if the auto business doesn't go under.
Auto business going under?? Not going to happen. People want cars so businesses will always be there to provide them. Individual dealerships might go under but others will pop-up as needed to meet demand.

·
Registered
2021 Honda CR-V Touring AWD
38 Posts
Our local Honda Dealership in the suburbs of Portland Oregon has:

1 CR-V, and 11 "in transit"
2 Civics, 9 "in transit"
5 Accords, 4 "in transit"
0 HR-V, 25 "in transit"
12 Pilots, 6 "in transit"

That's a wasteland compared to normal.
But it's a slight improvement over last month. Slight.

I would say we still have long way to go. Used to be a full supply of vehicles that last a month with resupply by the end of the month.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts