Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know why Honda apparently doesn't allow split-screen infotainment displays? E.g., audio on one side, navigation on the other, simultaneously? Having to flip back and forth to see what the song/artist is, while navigating, is annoying and potentially distracting. And forget the DII screen in the instrument panel. It only shows the first 12 or so characters of the song title, and not the artist.

2018 Touring

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably because the display isn’t wide enough to show everything properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply, Hankman, but not true. Also at 7" my wife's 2017 RAV4 display easily does side-by-side and even triple with the phone contact list or favorites shown with the audio on one side, and the map on the other. Even with half the display, the album art is bigger than the Honda's album art with the full display to work with. It's definitely a design decision, either active or passive. (No I don't want a Toyota - everything about the CR-V is superior, except for the infotainment display.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is a deal breaker in my 2018 CR-V. The terrible Infotainemt screen is not intuitive, much worse than Toyota and Outback, and very distracting. Without major improvements, like being able to see audio and nav at the same time, this is my third and last Honda.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Hankman, but not true. Also at 7" my wife's 2017 RAV4 display easily does side-by-side and even triple with the phone contact list or favorites shown with the audio on one side, and the map on the other. Even with half the display, the album art is bigger than the Honda's album art with the full display to work with. It's definitely a design decision, either active or passive. (No I don't want a Toyota - everything about the CR-V is superior, except for the infotainment display.)
My wife also has a 19 RAV4 XLE and the screen is definitely larger than my 17 CRV EX.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was excited by the RAV4 because of the hybrid until I hit my head entering the car. Since Honda and Subaru are behind the times on hybrids, I thought RAV4 might be the right choice. I bought a 2018 Touring to get all the new safety features and love everything about the car but the distraction magnet. It is a safety problem from my view.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
This is a deal breaker in my 2018 CR-V. The terrible Infotainemt screen is not intuitive, much worse than Toyota and Outback, and very distracting. Without major improvements, like being able to see audio and nav at the same time, this is my third and last Honda.
Different drivers will have different preferences of course.

From my observation in the forum discussions, moost owners actually use NAV via their phones now days. I personally do not.. but most owners appear to be going that route. Which means for iphones and CarPlay.. which does appear to play well with current generation Hondas. I personally have no need or use for dual screen side by side features. I set my sound system at car power up and if I need NAV.. I activate it when I need it. I simply do not need to be bouncing back and forth between them much at all.. but if I do.. it is a simple menu selection. YMMV though.

Honda is already deprecating Head Units in their models sold in Japan. They are moving to simple wireless interface with any phone or tablet + apps to access the Honda systems and adjustment of features. In other words.. they are getting out of the Head Unit business entirely and relying on drivers having either a phone or tablet for their vehicle interface to everything.

I imagine it may be a few years yet before they proliferate that across their regional markets.. but it is coming. I also imagine other brands will go a similar route in time. It effectively takes the vehicle manufacturer out of the loop in terms of hardware.. and that leaves only the actual Apps.. and how they work on either iOS or Android. It also gives them a pathway to do periodic feature updates via Apps directly to standard phones and tablet. Once it happens, I would prefer a tablet rather than my phone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cannot agree with the Honda hybrid comment but wholeheartedly agree that the infotainment system is a safety issue even with CarPlay.

It is difficult to understand why many functions are unnecessarily convoluted and operation of the system is nothing but a major distraction when driving. It's got to the point where I don't make adjustments unless stopped in traffic. I miss the command wheel from previous cars which made life so much easier when scrolling through different functions and as a bonus kept fingersprints off the screen.

I should also add that when my daughter plugged her phone into the system it displayed a split nav and audio screen. My phone, which is significantly older than my daughters, only displays the single screen. It appears that the display capability is a function of the Input device rather than the Infotainment system.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
It is difficult to understand why many functions are unnecessarily convoluted and operation of the system is nothing but a major distraction when driving. It's got to the point where I don't make adjustments unless stopped in traffic.
A lot of the features of the headunit are actually disabled by Honda while the vehicle is moving. More than I would prefer personally ... but I also understand they are trying to mitigate against unsafe practices while driving... so I go with the flow here on the part of Honda.

As a best practice.. drivers really should not be making use of a vehicle headunit while driving anyway ... with the exception of maybe the radio station select buttons and volume control. Everything else should be set or selected before putting the vehicle into drive. The same is true for any phone inside the vehicle too.. but that is an entirely different discussion.

·
Registered
30 Posts
A lot of the features of the headunit are actually disabled by Honda while the vehicle is moving. More than I would prefer personally ... but I also understand they are trying to mitigate against unsafe practices while driving... so I go with the flow here on the part of Honda.

As a best practice.. drivers really should not be making use of a vehicle headunit while driving anyway ... with the exception of maybe the radio station select buttons and volume control. Everything else should be set or selected before putting the vehicle into drive. The same is true for any phone inside the vehicle too.. but that is an entirely different discussion.
To classify the occasional use of the telephone or change the audio input settings to name a few as unsafe practice I'd tend to agree but only because the system is unsuitable for what's it's designed to be.

My previous cars infotainment systems have been significantly easier to operate therefore inherently safer in use and suggesting that manufacturers are migrating across to some smart phone driven system of operation is of no use to me now.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Cannot agree with the Honda hybrid comment but wholeheartedly agree that the infotainment system is a safety issue even with CarPlay.

It is difficult to understand why many functions are unnecessarily convoluted and operation of the system is nothing but a major distraction when driving. It's got to the point where I don't make adjustments unless stopped in traffic. I miss the command wheel from previous cars which made life so much easier when scrolling through different functions and as a bonus kept fingersprints off the screen.

I should also add that when my daughter plugged her phone into the system it displayed a split nav and audio screen. My phone, which is significantly older than my daughters, only displays the single screen. It appears that the display capability is a function of the Input device rather than the Infotainment system.
Assuming you and your daughter have iPhones that’s because she has a newer version of CarPlay than you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Assuming you and your daughter have iPhones that’s because she has a newer version of CarPlay than you.

After much faffing about just discovered that currently Google maps cannot display on split screen only Apple maps has that ability.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts