Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'16 CR-V EX-L. iPhone 6s with iOS 10. I'm trying to get the texting function to work in my vehicle. My iPhone is paired via Bluetooth, and I can make and receive calls, use the Phonebook, etc. When I get a text on my iPhone, nothing happens in my vehicle.

In the vehicle settings: Enable Text/Email: turned on. New Message Notification: turned on. Select Account: MAP MAS iOS

In the phone settings: Bluetooth is on. Under My Devices, HandsFreeLink has a little "i" in a circle. When I touch that, Show Notifications is turned on.

Any ideas why texting isn't working? I understand what's supposed to happen when someone texts me is a notification is supposed to come up, and the text becomes available for reading. I've read that it's not possible to respond to texts, only read them, and that's fine.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I suggest dropping the link on both items and re pairing them. It's possible that one of the security prompts/questions that popped up on the iphone was missed when it was first paired.

I'm an Android guy, but I know it works fine with IOS as well. You can also long press a button on steering wheel to bring up Siri, using the vehicles mic. You'll be able to receive texts and it will speak them, and can only reply with some pre made responses. "Im driving now... " etc

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suggest dropping the link on both items and re pairing them. It's possible that one of the security prompts/questions that popped up on the iphone was missed when it was first paired.

I'm an Android guy, but I know it works fine with IOS as well. You can also long press a button on steering wheel to bring up Siri, using the vehicles mic. You'll be able to receive texts and it will speak them, and can only reply with some pre made responses. "Im driving now... " etc
Thanks for your reply. The sales guy at the dealership paired my phone for me, and I couldn't see what he was doing, so it is entirely possible that something was missed or answered as "No", or something like that.

I am aware of the Siri "Eyes Free" feature, so I'll have to try that out.

I think I'll take your advice and un-pair and re-pair them.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I seriously think that will fix the problem. There have been some other threads that were very similar if you want to do some searching and I think that was the solution

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 smartphone using the Tapatalk app.

·
Super Moderator
3,201 Posts
Willing to bet you aren't the only ios10 person who will have trouble with the connections. Always seems to happen with iOS updates.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I did the un-pairing and re-pairing. No dice. Still no text messages. I made sure all my vehicle settings were right, and that the iPhone Bluetooth setting for "Show Notifications" was turned on. In fact, after I did the pairing, there was a change which I'm not sure I like.

Before the un-pairing, the iPhone's sound effects would automatically be silenced when I was in the vehicle and Bluetooth was connected. That is, any email audio alerts, etc wouldn't sound. The phone vibrated, but no sounds. After I did the re-pairing, the phone now makes sounds when I'm connected to the vehicle's Bluetooth.

It's really not a big deal. It's just a minor distraction when I'm listening to SiriusXM and the phone goes "ding" a few times during my trip. Yes, I could put the phone on vibrate before I get in the vehicle, and take it off vibrate when I get out. But it's a shame the phone isn't automatically doing it for me anymore when I'm Bluetooth connected.

Here's the thing: I work in the IT department at my place of employment, so I guess I'm naturally a bit of a geek. It drives me insane when something all of a sudden stops working, doesn't work when it should, or changes behavior, all for no apparent reason, and I can't figure it out. So this texting thing and the alert sounds thing is making me bang my head against the wall.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Willing to bet you aren't the only ios10 person who will have trouble with the connections. Always seems to happen with iOS updates.
I confess that I'm an Apple fan boy, but I can't argue against your point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was getting ready to ask this question and found this one. But I noticed that every post here except the last one is from two years ago. But rest assured that problem still exists today. I use a Droid Turbo XT1254. I just changed from a 2017 Accord to a 2018 CR-V. The text feature worked fine in the Accord but it will not work in the new
CR-V. Even more puzzling is the fact that my phone is not listed on the Honda website of usable phones, even for the 2017 Accord. However, it worked fine that model. Can I believe anything the website says??? Strangely, the usable phones listed by Honda from Motorola are all obsolete or no longer available. I really liked the feature in the Accord because it would read the message to you and you could use a steering wheel button to send one of several "canned" replys.
Does anyone have any idea what gives here? Does anyone from Honda even have any idea about this????:confused2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue but have an android. Works for calls but not texts. Thing is, my husband has the same phone and it works for his. I'm the main driver and with the hands free laws I really need this to work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Best advice, it works. All of the sudden after an IOS update on my Iphone 7 my txt stopped working in the CRV and it also affected my phones ability to voice directions in maps. Was having to disengage bluetooth while in the car if I wanted to use maps and get directions. I did check setting earlier, but did not notice the update had unchecked the handsfree link 'Show Notifications". Rechecking it makes everything work again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts