Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed this "Noico 80 mil 36 sqft car Sound deadening mat, Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener, Audio Noise Insulation and dampening" (available on Amazon) on their 3rd Gen CRV? If so, what's the result? Does it make your CRV much quieter? Thanks!

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
I've seen the YouTube videos on this stuff and plan to use it in the Spring when I install my aftermarket system. But I don't personally know anyone who has it. As far aa I can tell it's exactly the same stuff as Dynamat, except for the price. I have used that, and it works good, but is too expensive.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Has anyone installed this "Noico 80 mil 36 sqft car Sound deadening mat, Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener, Audio Noise Insulation and dampening" (available on Amazon) on their 3rd Gen CRV? If so, what's the result? Does it make your CRV much quieter? Thanks!
Look at sound deadener showdown for great articles on sound deadening theory. Don, the owner, is quite knowledgeable and had a good system, and is also very friendly with questions. I upgraded my gen5 with sound deadening using his recommendations and it makes a huge difference. His system is also cheaper. You don't need to do full coverage with the butyl CLD like Noico makes you think.

The Noico stuff is good but only addresses half the problem, which is panel vibration. You also need a layer of mass loaded vinyl to actually block sound waves.

I know it's not the same car but my build log can give you an idea of the steps. It will make huge difference and you can go stepwise, say doors first then rear end, etc.

Speaker Upgrade and Sound Deadening Build Log https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179442

Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
mnestrud - very nice writeup! Question: Home much perceived difference was there in quiet after that last part (the lower front)? I'm highly interested in doing this, but I am most interested in reducing road noise. My '07 EX-L has very noisy tires on it, which I plan to replace soon with the quietest tires I can find, but I suspect I will still have more road noise than I want. Being a retired truck driver, I have a serious dislike of tire and road noise in my old retired age. I want a really quiet CR-V, so I plan to go to great lengths to make it so. What are your thoughts on that?

An amazing fact that I didn't really realize until I got the CR-V is that my old F250 is super quiet. No road noise or tire noise at all. A little wind noise but very little. No non-stock or extra efforts in it either, it's stock. I want the CR-V to be as quiet as the truck.

·
Registered
857 Posts
mnestrud - very nice writeup! Question: Home much perceived difference was there in quiet after that last part (the lower front)? I'm highly interested in doing this, but I am most interested in reducing road noise. My '07 EX-L has very noisy tires on it, which I plan to replace soon with the quietest tires I can find, but I suspect I will still have more road noise than I want. Being a retired truck driver, I have a serious dislike of tire and road noise in my old retired age. I want a really quiet CR-V, so I plan to go to great lengths to make it so. What are your thoughts on that?

An amazing fact that I didn't really realize until I got the CR-V is that my old F250 is super quiet. No road noise or tire noise at all. A little wind noise but very little. No non-stock or extra efforts in it either, it's stock. I want the CR-V to be as quiet as the truck.
There wasnt as much as the sides, but the fifth gen has a lot of stock padding and foam under the carpet. The truck is quieter because the rear wheels are disconnected from the cabin and there's no echo chamber in the tailgate area. All sides first, then spare tire floor in my case would be the recommended order for 5th gen.

That said, according to everything I read, including from sound deadener showdown, the front floor should have made a much larger difference and is the most important area. I do think Honda did it well. Maybe you can find some pictures online to see how the 07 is down there?

My wife's 08 Civic was much louder then my CRV before and sound deadening was added.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Thanks! All that said, I'll mention one other thing. Like you, I want more clarity from new speakers. My stock non-nav head unit with stock speakers (no sub either), sounds muddy, blurry, indistinct, the opposite of clear. What criteria did you use to select the speakers you got to get that clarity without an added amp? What specs determine sensitivity? I don't think my V has any amp outside the head unit. I do plan a touchscreen head unit, but not necessarily an amp. Also maybe a small powered sub.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,073 Posts
The butyl type product such as the Noico and Dynamat reduce measured sound by reducing the ability of the panel to resonate.
It was very effective in my off road Hardtop Aluminum Land Rover. Covering the roof, floors l, front doors etc reduced noise level at 50mph by around 6db.
Best applied on cooler days. Anything above 80 and it gets too "gooey" to cut.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Thanks! All that said, I'll mention one other thing. Like you, I want more clarity from new speakers. My stock non-nav head unit with stock speakers (no sub either), sounds muddy, blurry, indistinct, the opposite of clear.
When I look for replacement speakers in a vehicle I start by checking the "What Fits Your Vehicle" option at crutchfield.com, and then looked at the specs and reviews of speakers that fit.
I usually then try to find the speakers somewhere else, as the Crutchfield prices tend to be higher.

·
Registered
857 Posts
When I look for replacement speakers in a vehicle I start by checking the "What Fits Your Vehicle" option at crutchfield.com, and then looked at the specs and reviews of speakers that fit.
I usually then try to find the speakers somewhere else, as the Crutchfield prices tend to be higher.
This is exactly what I did.

You don't need quite as fancy speakers unless you plan on now or later upgrading the head unit and/or adding an amp. Anything will be better than stock.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts