Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took a trip in my ‘98 CR-V, (which runs perfectly), that was about 75 miles each way. When I got to my destination of 75 miles, I noticed sort of a “clicking” noise coming from somewhere in the rear. It was very low key but bugged me.

Now my hearing isn’t what it used to be and even though the sound is minor, I can hear it even with my bad hearing. Like I said, it’s very minor but it starts slowly when taking off from a complete start and gets slightly louder until about 40 MPH and then it goes completely away!

It’s a low sounding noise but has a light “clicking” sound to it and gets slower and disappears as you come to a complete stop. There’s no vibrations or anything amiss in any way and it’s just strange that it goes completely away when above 40 MPH or so.

Any thoughts or am I just a decrepit old timer that’s imagining things? 😄

·
Registered
2001 Crv SE
214 Posts
If it's all wheel drive, sometimes the driveshaft u joints can make some noise. There is also a driveshaft or propshaft center support bearing. Check and make sure there is no play in the rear wheel bearings as well. They could still make noise with no play. You can usually tell if a wheel bearing is making noise by loading and unloading it at speed you are hearing noise.

Basically drive side to side or change lanes on the interstate to shift vehicle weight on or off the wheel bearing. If you hear a change in the pitch or intensity of the noise while steering side to side, then it is wheel bearing noise.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,932 Posts
Not to try to shame you 😇 but sometimes the answer is simple. A pebble or stick will catch in the suspension and 'click' as the wheel turns. Does the noise correspond to the revolutions of the wheels?

Try backing up to dislodge it. Or look underneath. Might need to (safely) jack up the rear wheels and look for something between the brake rotor and the backing plate...

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,075 Posts
like said above I inspect it all. think about the last rear diff change. just saying

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not to try to shame you 😇 but sometimes the answer is simple. A pebble or stick will catch in the suspension and 'click' as the wheel turns. Does the noise correspond to the revolutions of the wheels?

Try backing up to dislodge it. Or look underneath. Might need to (safely) jack up the rear wheels and look for something between the brake rotor and the backing plate...
No shame my friend and I had already thought of that and will check it out. It’s not easy here with the weather now being bad as I don’t have a garage.

like said above I inspect it all. think about the last rear diff change. just saying
That could be a viable solution.Thank you.

Thanks to all that contributed with replies! I want to keep our two ‘98 jewels running perfectly and I don’t like even minor noises.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wanted to update this. I checked everything I could on the noise and got nowhere. Also I know when a rear diff change is needed as I went through that with my wife’s ‘98 CR-V and am well aware of the noise it makes and anyway my CR-V’s former owner had it done just before I bought from her.

I finally took it to the tire shop I’ve been doing business with for the last 25 years and they do all services except major engine work and have always given me excellent service.

Before I get into more details I wanted to say when I started on my way to the shop, no noise! I live rural and the shop is 50 miles away and all the way there, no noise!

Anyway, they took it for a long test ride and no noise! They then put it up on the rack and two mechanics started checking everything. U joints fine, drive shaft fine, checked brakes and wheel bearings, fine, checked all seals, fine. They spent about 1 1/2 hours checking EVERYTHING and to no avail. They just shrugged and said everything checked out fine and no charge for all their time.

I was joking with my wife while we waiting and I told her if they can’t find the source of the noise, I bet as soon as we leave the damn noise would return. The old joke!

Well, after thanking them for all their effort and especially not charging me, as soon as we left the parking lot, wait, wait...you guessed it, the noise returned!!! Gr-r-r! I was going to turn around and go back but heck, they are a knowledgeable group and had checked out everything and anyway I was willing to bet if I did go back, the noise would once again disappear.

The mystery noise continued all the way home and is still present. Would sure someday like to figure out what it is. I’ve just resigned to turning the stereo up a little louder. :) Gr-r-r!

·
Registered
2001 Crv SE
214 Posts
Did you ever unbolt the driveshaft at the front and see if the front u joint is tight? That u joint gets very hot because it sits right next to the catalytic converter. When mine went bad it sounded similar to what you described.

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,094 Posts
Remove all cargo and check again. It might be something you forgot was in the car, under the picnic table maybe.

You can also try slamming doors (including tailgate) a little to see if it's something in a door pocket that you can't see, or if it may be the rear license plate.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Wanted to update this. I checked everything I could on the noise and got nowhere. Also I know when a rear diff change is needed as I went through that with my wife’s ‘98 CR-V and am well aware of the noise it makes and anyway my CR-V’s former owner had it done just before I bought from her.

I finally took it to the tire shop I’ve been doing business with for the last 25 years and they do all services except major engine work and have always given me excellent service.

Before I get into more details I wanted to say when I started on my way to the shop, no noise! I live rural and the shop is 50 miles away and all the way there, no noise!

Anyway, they took it for a long test ride and no noise! They then put it up on the rack and two mechanics started checking everything. U joints fine, drive shaft fine, checked brakes and wheel bearings, fine, checked all seals, fine. They spent about 1 1/2 hours checking EVERYTHING and to no avail. They just shrugged and said everything checked out fine and no charge for all their time.

I was joking with my wife while we waiting and I told her if they can’t find the source of the noise, I bet as soon as we leave the damn noise would return. The old joke!

Well, after thanking them for all their effort and especially not charging me, as soon as we left the parking lot, wait, wait...you guessed it, the noise returned!!! Gr-r-r! I was going to turn around and go back but heck, they are a knowledgeable group and had checked out everything and anyway I was willing to bet if I did go back, the noise would once again disappear.

The mystery noise continued all the way home and is still present. Would sure someday like to figure out what it is. I’ve just resigned to turning the stereo up a little louder. :) Gr-r-r!
Ah, the old intermittent. Always goes away when a maintenance type shows up.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Remove all cargo and check again. It might be something you forgot was in the car, under the picnic table maybe.

You can also try slamming doors (including tailgate) a little to see if it's something in a door pocket that you can't see, or if it may be the rear license plate.
That was good counsel Loch and I had done most of that already EXCEPT taking out the picnic table and everything underneath which I hadn’t done. I was going to do that until read below and thanks.

Ah, the old intermittent. Always goes away when a maintenance type shows up.
YES! The famous looking at you quizzically and that you’re imagining it!

To get back to this mysterious and frustrating sound, my wife took it on a 20 mile trip the other day and came home saying the sound is gone! I was skeptical of course but she assured me there was no more noise.

I then took it on another ride and she was right! No noise at all! I drove it over 20 miles and no more noise! It is so pleasing to have my cherished ‘98 back to it’s quiet self.

Hopefully it will stay this way but I’ve probably already jinxed it writing this reply. ;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
That was good counsel Loch and I had done most of that already EXCEPT taking out the picnic table and everything underneath which I hadn’t done. I was going to do that until read below and thanks.

YES! The famous looking at you quizzically and that you’re imagining it!

To get back to this mysterious and frustrating sound, my wife took it on a 20 mile trip the other day and came home saying the sound is gone! I was skeptical of course but she assured me there was no more noise.

I then took it on another ride and she was right! No noise at all! I drove it over 20 miles and no more noise! It is so pleasing to have my cherished ‘98 back to it’s quiet self.

Hopefully it will stay this way but I’ve probably already jinxed it writing this reply. ;)
There are operators, like me, and there are engineers, mechanics, techs.... A machine acts up and as soon as you bring it to a fix it person's attention, things straighten right up. It was ever thus. :confused:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Next time you experience a noise like that you need to tell the mechanic to hop in and you drive as usual, I guarantee the noise will be there.

May be some rusty pieces inside the muffler that got expelled

1 - 12 of 12 Posts