Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I'm willing to bet that the panoramic roof was pulled from the US Touring late in the product cycle, and somebody forgot to update the headroom specs. That would certainly explain it.

And that service advisor is wrong; the EX-L and Touring have identical engine mounts.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Perhaps different tires can make a difference in road noise. I believe on the 16s, the Touring comes with different shoes than the lower models.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I'm willing to bet that the panoramic roof was pulled from the US Touring late in the product cycle, and somebody forgot to update the headroom specs. That would certainly explain it.

And that service advisor is wrong; the EX-L and Touring have identical engine mounts.
I really really wish they had gone with the Panoramic Sunroof - Ooof.

Same with the center dash speaker, there's nothing under that grille.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I'm not sure that "center dash speaker grille" was ever meant for a speaker. (Seems on the small side.) Could very well just be a vent for the electronics inside the dash.

·
Registered
64 Posts

That could be it. Still wanting some sort of confirmation though.

BTW the panoramic roof would have been sweet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've a blue Touring with panoramic roof and am located in Toronto area. The roof is indeed sweet and makes it feel like a much more refined vehicle, open and airy. I also have heated steering and heated rear seats. Silly that they left some of these features off US delivered units.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm not sure that "center dash speaker grille" was ever meant for a speaker. (Seems on the small side.) Could very well just be a vent for the electronics inside the dash.
This could be true, I recall a buzzing fan sound after playing with the entertainment unit one day for long with engine off.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've a blue Touring with panoramic roof and am located in Toronto area. The roof is indeed sweet and makes it feel like a much more refined vehicle, open and airy. I also have heated steering and heated rear seats. Silly that they left some of these features off US delivered units.
They need to save something for the MMC in a couple of years

·
Registered
64 Posts
Now you're just rubbing it in! :) Only kidding, but I am jealous.

·
Registered
275 Posts
You know, maybe I'm nuts (I've been accused of it before) but I've had sunroofs for many years. I really don't use them, and rarely open them. I find that the light often causes glare on surfaces inside, and adds heat. Opening them really doesn't make me feel more "open" - it only adds noise, wind, and interferes with talking, etc. This is on my other cars, such as new Mercedes, the Passat, etc. Usually I not only don't even open the sunroof, but I keep the sliding upholstery car closed too. The pano roof would be neat, but thinking about it the pano would probably make it like a greenhouse, and heat up the car in summer too much for me.

OTOH, I do have a collector convertible, which almost never has the top up. BIG difference between a convertible and sunroof.

Anybody else really not much on using the sunroof?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Anybody else really not much on using the sunroof? only time it is used is after parked in the sun. I pop all the windows and sunroof to clear out the hot air. but driving with it open is nasty. might as well be a noisy convertible. unless there is a windscreen behind your head. Plus being bald, my dermatologist has too fun taking the keratosis(SP) sites to task. I put a honda windscreen up and it did nothing for wind, maybe a little louder.
my surprise in the 2017 EXL is the double button hit opens the sunroof too. Ok in summer not so great in winter with a thin layer of snow and ice on the roof. hahahahaha

·
Registered
730 Posts
You know, maybe I'm nuts (I've been accused of it before) but I've had sunroofs for many years. I really don't use them, and rarely open them. I find that the light often causes glare on surfaces inside, and adds heat. Opening them really doesn't make me feel more "open" - it only adds noise, wind, and interferes with talking, etc. This is on my other cars, such as new Mercedes, the Passat, etc. Usually I not only don't even open the sunroof, but I keep the sliding upholstery car closed too. The pano roof would be neat, but thinking about it the pano would probably make it like a greenhouse, and heat up the car in summer too much for me.

OTOH, I do have a collector convertible, which almost never has the top up. BIG difference between a convertible and sunroof.

I'd pretty much have to agree with you on all points. The sunroof in our 2004 CR-V gets opened about once every 3-6 months or so, if that, and I'm always the one to open it, my wife doesn't like the extra sun and wind noise. I do it more so because I also have a convertible and like having some bright light or openness above me. The panoramic roof might be nice but there are trade-offs like you said. Yes, there is nothing like a convertible top, no panoramic roof will ever match that feeling of open top driving.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Let's see, history of skin cancer and light sensitivity to eyes due to medication--I need a sun roof like another hole in the head. Unfortunately, you can't pick your options or custom order your car from the factory. The marketers and bean counters have found another way to con us out of our money? OTH, lumping the options together by trim level, may have lowered overall cost to the car buyer, but I would still like to pick and choose my options.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Is there a difference in noise insulation in EX-l vs Touring? On Honda website I couldn't find any specs about it but the consumer reports first drive video mentions it(~ 2:55 min mark)- http://www.consumerreports.org/2017/2017-honda-cr-v-suv-first-drive-review/ . Anyone has any idea?
I found this detailed spec and description of the 2017 CRV from Honda. According to the spec there is a difference in sound insulation between the LX and higher trim. The information states that the LX doesn't have the hood insulation. Here's the link to the information, it's a very good tech read.
http://hondanews.com/releases/81054943-3dcb-4acc-aa6c-4dc6e204f1ce

·
Registered
91 Posts
Don't like a sunroof at all. But what can I do, it comes with the car. I'll never open it.
During the summer, when parking for several hours, I pop up the rear edge of the sunroof with the front of the privacy cover slightly open so that my car can vent the hot air out into the atmousphere. Otherwise, I find that it's a useless feature that I could do without.

Oh, and I bought a Touring model for the 330W 9 speaker sound system and the LED headlights... but the extra noise abatement fluff/insulation would have been nice to have.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As far as sound differences go ...

There is one reason to believe that the touring could be quieter. The active noise cancellation is designed to take out the low frequency sounds from the engine and the road. It uses the stereo speakers to do this. Since the touring has an extra subwoofer it may be able to put out a better noise cancelling signal.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
As for sun roofs....I am one of those who ask, "Why?" I know some love them but like many here I see them as more trouble than they are worth. They lower your ceiling height. They make noise, glare and are a general negative. In the five years I had my 2012 EX-L I think I opened the sun roof twice just to see if it actually worked. As for a panoramic one...just a bigger problem! More glare, more heat, etc. I would pay extra to NOT have a sun roof! ;)

21 - 39 of 39 Posts