Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove a 2019 LX AWD several weeks ago and found the road noise on some roads to be pretty pronounced. I just looked at a 2019 EXL and found the seating to be more comfortable and my right knee seemed to clear the center shifter bettert. I did not drive it, but is the noise level lower in the EXL if any one has compared the 2?

Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
I drove a 2019 LX AWD several weeks ago and found the road noise on some roads to be pretty pronounced. I just looked at a 2019 EXL and found the seating to be more comfortable and my right knee seemed to clear the center shifter bettert. I did not drive it, but is the noise level lower in the EXL if any one has compared the 2?
they dont have anything different in terms of sound deadening.. they would be identical.

just the fact of you saying you had better knee clearance is a joke because its the same cabin. Even the seats are identical minus the cloth vs leather cover lol

Registered
Play around with the seat adjustments Including seat height and tilt of the cushion if available; not always possible with showroom models if they have the battery connected. I am 6 ft, 32 inch inseam and find the seats very comfortable; my knee is not pressed up against the console. However the EXL has more adjustments than the LX ; this could translate into more comfort.
You may want to drive one again but be sure the tires are not over inflated as is often the case and this will increase the ride harshness and noise. I find the road noise fine but an suv is expected to have more road noise than a sedan due to the open area in the back.

Registered
It seems there's a big variation in how noisy some CRVs are. I drive a huge number of miles every year for work, some company cars I've loved, others I couldn't wait to get rid of. So I've had a good number of cars to compare it to.

Our CRV is rather quiet and smooth, some I drove over a couple of months were louder. I started checking tire pressure and the type of tires on each one. Tire pressure was never as recommended on the door sticker and there were several different tires.

After adjusting the tire pressure all of them were quieter and smoother. Tire brand made a difference too.

Registered
The Touring model has an automatic noise cancelling system with two microphones that measure canin sounds, which are then played back 180 degrees out of phase through the subwoofer. Otherwise I think the models are the same.

This link lists 2019 models but the same is true for 2017-2018 years.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk - 2018 CR-V AWD Touring

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they dont have anything different in terms of sound deadening.. they would be identical.

just the fact of you saying you had better knee clearance is a joke because its the same cabin. Even the seats are identical minus the cloth vs leather cover lol
Hardly a joke. I think the power seat option seemed to allow more clearance, the LX being manual. Have you driven both ? LOL to you too.

The. Admin. Istrator.
How much of the noise(s) were attributable to different tyres/rims etc?

That too would be a factor for sure.

Registered
Get ride of whatever tires came on your CRV and buy good tires such as Continental True Contact or Pirelli Scorpion Verde and your road noise will all but go away. If you have Hankooks installed they are slightly better than wooden wagon wheels. If you purchased one in the higher trim levels they come with ANC and that helps!

Registered
I drove 4 and got different noise levels in each one. Two ex and two exl. The one I bought was noisy and then drove it again after service and sales tried it and then it was quieter. The car had 5 miles and been sitting on the lot 2 months due to COVID-19. Also keep in mind it is a turbo engine.

Registered
2017 EX-L with NAV & Turbo. CRV's had been noted prior to the 2017 redo for being noisy. I find my 2017 to be acceptable but it is not the quietest vehicle ever. Seats: they are not plush & I would not call them comfortable but the main thing is that they are Not Uncomfortable, even after 65,000 miles & 200 mile road trips.

I do recall that some of the 2017's had a manufacturing defect where some seats were very hard. From model to model the basic car should be the same with only the accessories being different. What can be different about seating position/ knee clearance is the position of the seat & that is an almost infinitely adjustable combination in my vehicle.

My EX-L has power adjustable seats with different positions possible, including up/down, tilt, forward/ backward so set the seat to fit you, not the last guy in the car, even on a test drive. That could be the reason one car seemed to have more knee clearance. Once the seat is set to fit you, there is a memory feature where you just press a button on the door & the seat goes back to the position setting that you chose. This is especially good when you take the car for service and 5' 8" guy or the 6' 4" guy changes the seat positions.

In retrospect I now realize that when I compared a Ford Escape vs my current 2017 CRV during the buying process the Ford was quickly eliminated because I am 6 feet tall & the person setting the seat for the test drive lowered the seat so much that resting my arm on the center console was a very uncomfortable position.

Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
My own $0.02. Spend less than $100 and a good afternoon's work installing the acoustic sound deadening material of you choice inside all 4 doors, the spare tire well, and inside the rear hatch. Your doors will now close with a solid thunk. You will be able to hear your entertainment at volume levels much lower than before.

If you really feel adventurous, spend another $100 for more material, remove all your seats, carpets, quarter panels and headliner to sound deaden everything from firewall to the spare well. For me, the reward for doing the later doesn't match all the effort, especially when you have side air bags that require a very deft, precise hammer smack to allow removal of the upper rear quarter panels w/o the air bag exploding.

Super Moderator - How may I help?
How do you get it in the door? Not sure I'm up for that
Right! Can I stick the sound deadening material to the inside of the door glass, then roll the glass down, and have it attach to the inside of the door by itself, then roll the clear glass back up? 馃槑

IF I could do this then I would add sound insulating. If NOT then I would look to quieter tires.

Reactions: detroit010

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Get ride of whatever tires came on your CRV and buy good tires such as Continental True Contact or Pirelli Scorpion Verde and your road noise will all but go away. If you have Hankooks installed they are slightly better than wooden wagon wheels. If you purchased one in the higher trim levels they come with ANC and that helps!
Have you actually done this? Good results??

Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
How do you get it in the door? Not sure I'm up for that
All 4 doors work about the same as this: https://youtu.be/yH61hFsma24

Hardest part is taking off the plastic moisture barrier without it sealing to itself so that you can reuse it. With the moisture barrier off, you can access the inner side of the door panel. Be sure to wear work gloves because of the sharp edges. Also, wipe down the inner panel to insure proper adhesion. Will have to cut mats to various sizes and shapes in order to fit through the access holes and around all the stuff inside the door panel. Do all of this with the windows all the way up.

If you are going to replace your speakers, I would wind the windows down AFTER installing the mats to insure that you have the proper clearance for your new speakers.

As for the spare tire well, I removed everything [floor panel, spare, jack, felt liner, plastic trim around door latch, etc.] in the back except for the rear quarter panels. Push rear seatbacks flat, then unscrew the latch cover behind them. Vacuum the entire surface, then start forming, cutting, & burnishing your mats. Found that plastic trim removal tools work extremely well for burnishing.

As for the rear hatch, only have 1 screw to worry about that.

Located inside the grab handle. Have to jimmy around the grab handle to disconnect & remove it. Rest of trim is held by snaps. Again, clean off inside of hatch & wear work gloves.

Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
It seems there's a big variation in how noisy some CRVs are. I drive a huge number of miles every year for work, some company cars I've loved, others I couldn't wait to get rid of. So I've had a good number of cars to compare it to.

Our CRV is rather quiet and smooth, some I drove over a couple of months were louder. I started checking tire pressure and the type of tires on each one. Tire pressure was never as recommended on the door sticker and there were several different tires.

After adjusting the tire pressure all of them were quieter and smoother. Tire brand made a difference too.
One word ----> Tires.

Honda does tend to use different times on different trim levels.... mainly for cost reasons. I would fully expect the LX trim to have the cheapest of cheap OEM tires.. and that would very likely come with more road noise due to said tires.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.