Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've just owned my 2016 CRV AWD for almost 2 months, and I only have ~650 miles on it.

I noticed when I switch from R to N while backing (car not fully stopped), there is a noticeable noise coming from the hood, a noise that sounded like something is hanging lose. If I do the same thing when the car is fully stopped, then such noise would not come up. The is no noise when switching from D to N while car is still moving though. Note that I did not switch from R to N to D when the car was still moving, but from R to N only. I've driven some other cars in the past from various manufacturers, but none had this kind of noise, including cars with CVTs.

I wonder if your 2016s do this as well?

When I was demonstrating this to a dealer the other day, I was advised to have the car stopped fully before switching from R to N to avoid possible damages or chances of causing errors in the gearbox. I wonder if doing so will increase risks of damaging the gearbox? I always thought this was like disengaging the clutch in manuals.

Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
While i agree with the dealer on being fully stopped before switching gears in an AT, I dont agree with them that it is the reason why there should be such noise from your fairly new engine.

Just remember conventional AT trannies are always "connected" to the wheels. With CVTs im not sure but if you want to check you can lift the car and put it in N. If wheels spin then they are.

Sent from my G9208SS using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While i agree with the dealer on being fully stopped before switching gears in an AT, I dont agree with them that it is the reason why there should be such noise from your fairly new engine.

Just remember conventional AT trannies are always "connected" to the wheels. With CVTs im not sure but if you want to check you can lift the car and put it in N. If wheels spin then they are.

Sent from my G9208SS using Tapatalk
I've been fully stopping my CRV before switching gears, but just curious about that noise as I've never heard of something like that in other cars. I'll try to record the noise and upload it later.

Could anyone with a US 2016 CRV (mine is a EX) try to test it out for me and see if yours does the same thing just for the peace of my mind?

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts