Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the Thule Wingbar Edge 118 and attached it to the flush rails on my 2018 EX. They look nice (although assembly and installation instructions were bad - took me hours!) but I noticed right away at highway speeds that they make a loud humming sound. I thought these new aerodynamic bars were supposed to be silent!

My old cobalt had Yakima round bars. They were quite noisy on the highway as well, unless I had something on them like a bike rack, to break up the wind, in which case they were a lot better. These are certainly not quite as noisy as the old Yakimas but they're still too annoying to drive long distance with.

The issue is since Honda uses screws to mount racks on the flush rails, it's a major pain taking them on and off each time I want to use them, not to mention wearing out the threads after a while. I think they're going to have to stay on permanently or at least seasonally.

Does anyone have experience with a 2017-19 using the Yakima Whispbars? It's too late to return these Wingbars but I would consider selling them and getting the whispbars if there's a considerable noise reduction in those compared to the Wingbars. If they're also kind of noisy then I won't bother.

I suppose I could try leave a bike rack on there permanently as well but that will be an additional fuel drag.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
857 Posts
I just bought the Thule Wingbar Edge 118 and attached it to the flush rails on my 2018 EX. They look nice (although assembly and installation instructions were bad - took me hours!) but I noticed right away at highway speeds that they make a loud humming sound. I thought these new aerodynamic bars were supposed to be silent!

Thoughts?
Zero first hand experience but a quick Google shows the Thule airscreen which looks like it is designed to solve this issue???

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
405 Posts
Most modern auto's are designed to be aerodynamic - then we owners go and screw it up with roof mounted stuff. Personally I've noted wind noise with every roof rack that I've ever installed; just accept it.

Oh yeah - don't believe any "quiet" sales pitches thrown out there. Their job is to sell the product.

Shown: my Rhino Rack, also occasionally noticeable.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
My Gen3 OEM bars did not have any hum at any speed. So it can be done.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So after taking it back to the rack store they couldn’t figure out why the hum was occurring. They hadn’t received any complaints from other CRV owners with the new Thule Wingbars, although the bars are a new style so not many out there.

They assembled the Yakima Whispbar for me and mounted it as a test. It was completely silent! I got up to highway speeds and still nothing. So I switched to Yakima. It’s a few inches wider and taller than the Thule and arguably not as sleek looking, but it’s a keeper.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hm. I'm not 100% sure. I think the HD bars are something different and are more square.

The flush system, on their website, is not something that is compatible with the CRV I think. It mounts to roof points on cars without flush rails (ie directly on a naked roof of some cars but not on the CRV)

My setup has this

click on the 'flush rails' button and that's what I have:
4 skyline towers
Yakima Landing pad 19
Yakima 50" jetstream (which is now called whispbar)

Hope that helps!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.