Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a 2017 CRV EXL, and now have a 2020 CRV Touring. Both had the same problem – they were both noisy on a drive. I recently made a long drive in my new CRV, and the road noise really got on my nerves.When I got home, I tried something that I’ve been thinking about – I put some 3.5” fiberglass insulation on top of the spare tire in the spare tire well. My noise level has dropped way down now. Evidently that spare tire well acts like some sort of a sounding board. My car is not as quiet as my old Chrysler 300, but at least now I can carry on a normal conversation.
Motor vehicle Hood Trunk Automotive exterior Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Hood Trunk Automotive exterior Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,194 Posts
This is interesting, I'd like to hear from others with their thoughts.

Reactions: Island57

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
1,072 Posts
How about putting a flexible sound proofing material UNDER the spare tire. Id need to do that because I use the area directly on top of and around the soare tire for storage. I can actually get a lot of stuff in there, under the removeable hatch. That said, I dont have any considerable road noise complaints about my 2019 EX and I feel that its the type of road top surface that plays the major part in road noise.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
4,208 Posts
I wonder if something like Sonex might work even better.
After all, fiberglass is designed for thermal insulation, not sound isolation.

Reactions: JB in AZ

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,194 Posts
There are many known risks when handling fiberglass insulation. Having the insulation open in the back of your CRV, where foods, sporting equipment and perhaps your pet dog are placed may not be a good idea. Maybe some more thought needs to go into finding a better option. Just my $.02
Excellent point, and I was actually thinking this when I first read the OPs post. Good call!

Reactions: Jayceegee and beww

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are many known risks when handling fiberglass insulation. Having the insulation open in the back of your CRV, where foods, sporting equipment and perhaps your pet dog are placed may not be a good idea. Maybe some more thought needs to go into finding a better option. Just my $.02
This is paper faced insulation, with the paper on top, covered by the floorboard. The only time fiberglass will ever get in the atmosphere of the car is if I wrecked the car.

·
Premium Member
2021 CRV EX-L
559 Posts
Just the constant vibration from driving will likely release fiberglass particles into the spare area. I have installed fiberglass insulation and when it gets on your skin it is no bueno. You have a great idea here but I would replace it with some sort of sound insulation that does not use fiberglass.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Agree about fiberglass…those fibers are nasty when disturbed. You should need to move the bats around at least a couple of times yearly if you check the spare tire pressure.
I like Roxul insulation (stone wool).

·
Registered
2018 CRV EX-L AWD
23 Posts
There loads of products out there that have an actual purpose to dampen sound. I've seen this stuff put into van whens converted to RVs:

Fiberglass insulation would be my last choice. Irritating to the lungs and skin.

·
Registered
17 CR-V LX
247 Posts
There loads of products out there that have an actual purpose to dampen sound. I've seen this stuff put into van whens converted to RVs:

Fiberglass insulation would be my last choice. Irritating to the lungs and skin.
I used this stuff, works great and cheaper than Dynamat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a 2017 CRV EXL, and now have a 2020 CRV Touring. Both had the same problem – they were both noisy on a drive. I recently made a long drive in my new CRV, and the road noise really got on my nerves.When I got home, I tried something that I’ve been thinking about – I put some 3.5” fiberglass insulation on top of the spare tire in the spare tire well. My noise level has dropped way down now. Evidently that spare tire well acts like some sort of a sounding board. My car is not as quiet as my old Chrysler 300, but at least now I can carry on a normal conversation. View attachment 151659 View attachment 151659
I had a 2017 CRV EXL, and now have a 2020 CRV Touring. Both had the same problem – they were both noisy on a drive. I recently made a long drive in my new CRV, and the road noise really got on my nerves.When I got home, I tried something that I’ve been thinking about – I put some 3.5” fiberglass insulation on top of the spare tire in the spare tire well. My noise level has dropped way down now. Evidently that spare tire well acts like some sort of a sounding board. My car is not as quiet as my old Chrysler 300, but at least now I can carry on a normal conversation. View attachment 151659 View attachment 151659
I’d consider swapping your tires out. Mine are noisy too, I went to a tire dealer, with his help on the noise issue I picked out a set of Michelin’s. I’m about ready to pull the trigger so I can’t give you a report at this time.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Interesting! I thought my CRV (same model & year) was very quiet. We drove ours over a thousand miles earlier this year to Texas, most of which was 70 mph and over. Never had an issue hearing my wife in the right seat and never really heard much road noise.

·
Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
1,002 Posts
Please use the 3 dots next to your avatar in the upper right hand corner to do an Advanced Search for more info on noise suppression for your vehicle.

Like many others who have responded, I have my doubts about using fiber glass for sound insulation. Too many chances for tiny particles to get out into the general area of your vehicle, then into & onto you & your passengers. IMHO, any type of sound suppression material, i.e. Dynamat, Noico, Sonex, et al, would be a much better solution than using household fiber glass insulation.

·
Registered
281 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’d consider swapping your tires out. Mine are noisy too, I went to a tire dealer, with his help on the noise issue I picked out a set of Michelin’s. I’m about ready to pull the trigger so I can’t give you a report at this time.
Capt Mike:
We had 3 CRV's prior to ordering our 2018 Touring. Each was quieter than the previous, but still loud. I ordered the seat cover that fits on the back of the rear seat and covers the floor and sides of the 'trunk' from the dealership. Can't remember what it is called. It helped dampen the noise. My hearing aids amplify the wind noise and often I turn them off when alone. Not perfect but it helps and agree some road surfaces are lots noisier. With such a short wheelbase I can't expect a quiet boat-ride as in our '98 Buick Park Ave.
Wonder if some spray on undercoating might help? Years ago when we lived 'up north' (Fla now) bought a '90 Ford Diesel 4x4 Supercab F-250. It surely quieted the ride but that truck was rough riding from the get-go and still is as our son has it up in southwestern Va. Not rusted out completely underneath even now.
Frank Walter 2018 CRV AWD Touring

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too have issues with road noise so I took the entire cargo area apart and installed Killmat which is a sound deadening material that helps reduce road noise plus I replaced the crapola tires that came from the factory. After installing the new Continental tires plus the killmat the CR-V is a pleasure to drive on the highway.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts