Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Honda CR-V EX AWD in Mountain Air Metallic (Teal)
79 Posts
I had a 2017 CRV EXL, and now have a 2020 CRV Touring. Both had the same problem – they were both noisy on a drive. I recently made a long drive in my new CRV, and the road noise really got on my nerves.When I got home, I tried something that I’ve been thinking about – I put some 3.5” fiberglass insulation on top of the spare tire in the spare tire well. My noise level has dropped way down now. Evidently that spare tire well acts like some sort of a sounding board. My car is not as quiet as my old Chrysler 300, but at least now I can carry on a normal conversation. View attachment 151659 View attachment 151659
The type of tires you have can be a big contributor to road noise. Two years ago, I got rid of the horrible, stock Bridgestone Duelers that my 2016 V came with. Not only were they noisy, they caused me to almost slide through an intersection when there was just a couple inches of snow on the ground! (And yes, I was going very, very slow and carefully as I approached the intersection. The ABS was doing its thing, but it's only as good as the tires the vehicle rides on.) I did a lot of research, and I ended up with a nice set of Continental "TrueContact Tour" tires. They ride & handle very nicely, and things got a bit more quieter. Hondas were never known to be "luxury car" quiet, but they have improved immensely. My 2016 is way, way more quiet than my old 2001 CR-V was. Anyway, you'd be surprised at how much of a difference changing the tires can make on the road noise. Btw, those Continentals got some of the highest ratings out of any other tires out there for wet, and dry driving too. Snow ratings were pretty good as well. I believe mine came with an 80k miles wear out warranty, if I recall correctly. I'm extremely happy with them. It's something you might want to consider as well, besides the soundproofing. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a 2017 CRV EXL, and now have a 2020 CRV Touring. Both had the same problem – they were both noisy on a drive. I recently made a long drive in my new CRV, and the road noise really got on my nerves.When I got home, I tried something that I’ve been thinking about – I put some 3.5” fiberglass insulation on top of the spare tire in the spare tire well. My noise level has dropped way down now. Evidently that spare tire well acts like some sort of a sounding board. My car is not as quiet as my old Chrysler 300, but at least now I can carry on a normal conversation. View attachment 151659 View attachment 151659
I change the tire brand from Michelin to Cooper. Much quieter! Not quite as good mileage.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think they have always been loud. I have owned 6 different model years. Well my wife I should say. She told me to get one and I said your crv is so dam loud you don’t hear that? Has a gerth sound when you step on it. I drove to work a few times for an hour. Drove me crazy! Half of you say it’s quiet is funny. Dunlop, Kumho, Bridgestone tires all loud.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I think they have always been loud. I have owned 6 different model years. Well my wife I should say. She told me to get one and I said your crv is so dam loud you don’t hear that? Has a gerth sound when you step on it. I drove to work a few times for an hour. Drove me crazy! Half of you say it’s quiet is funny. Dunlop, Kumho, Bridgestone tires all loud.
Guess I'm funny too. my 2018 is very quiet. Still have original tires. 15,000 miles. I guess like some say, its subjective.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I will look into using some type of insulation on my 12 Crv which is so noisy that I cannot use the Radio most of the time. It does matter what road surface you are on. The newer asphalt roads use a smother interlocking blend that is very quiet compared to older asphalt blends. BTW adding Michelin tires did little to curb the noise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2016 CR-V came with OEM Continental tires. When it was time to replace I stuck with Continental but moved up to an 80,000 mile tire. I've been happy with them. A friend of mine purchased a 2017 CR-V with Hankook tires and was very unhappy with the noise. He switched to Continental and was happy with the switch. Sometimes the noise can come from the tires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Old Salt. Same problem with my CRV 2016 (base model) very high cabin noise so much so it can interfere with phone calls and is uncomfortable at speed. Noisy rear brakes which are in perfect service and condition. Not impressed at all. Like your idea of soundproofing the spare wheel well. Will give it a try. Cheers from the UK.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts