Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi from a wet & windy England.

I am new to CRV's having only picked up my 2002 a month ago. It has the 2 litre I-VTEC motor with automatic transmission & has covered 95000 miles. I have always noticed the engine is quite clattery from cold, sounds like valve gear or maybe timing chain, it is much worse under load but this goes away after a few miles. It didn't concern me too much as I notice a work colleagues CRV sounds the same from cold + looking at some Youtube videos it seems to be a fairly common issue. Apart from this I am very pleased with the vehicle & it uses half the fuel of my previous vehicle - a 1999 Chevy Blazer.

Mine has got a full Honda dealer service history &, according to the service book it had an oil change nearly 12000 miles ago so I decided to do another oil & filter change yesterday as it is due.
It went without incident, I used a Fram filter & Comma fully synthetic oil of the type Honda recommend. However I noticed the old oil was extremely black - much blacker than I expected. However the big surprise came this morning when I started the motor from cold to come to work, the engine is SO MUCH quieter from cold, the clatter is still there but to a much lesser extent & once warm is smooth as silk.

This has got me thinking about a couple things. Either the oil was changed much longer ago than what the service sheet suggests - or 12000 miles is too long an interval between oil changes. I am seriously considering doing it at 6000 mile intervals instead.

Any advice would be appreciated please as I am very new to these vehicles.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Consider a valve adjustment as Honda engines are notorious for tight exhaust valves at 75k, intakes almost always need no adjustment

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Tight valves don't normally make noise, loose ones do, but getting a valve lash adj (or doing it yourself) is an excellent suggestion because 'tight' exhaust valves can cause burned valve seats.
Do more online searching for those 'noises'.
I would suggest you change the oil and filter at least yearly if you don't drive a lot of miles.
Change it at 6000 miles and see if it helps. I think that year CRV's owner's manual suggests 7500 mile oil changes during normal service.
Many in these forums don't like the Fram orange can filter but many others do.
Buffalo4
Buffalo4

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
The above suggestions are very good advice. But if it’s only during cold starts, not all the time, then, myself I wouldn’t be too concerned only because I know my V, and I too use Synthetic oil because of our cold winters and our hotter than hell summers.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Every single Honda 4-cylinder I've been in was loud on a cold start in the winter. The noise is likely either from the injectors or from a bit of piston slap (due to the metal needing some time to expand as it warms up). If it goes away once the engine is warmed up, it is most likely a non-issue.

I did the valve adjustment at 120k and it made no difference in engine noise. Your intake valves would have to be very out of spec for them to be making noticeable noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all very much for the replies, somewhat puts my mind at rest. I am planning to check my valve clearances very soon, am just waiting on the arrival of a new valve cover gasket kit that I have ordered. The noise is definitely still there when the engine is cold but is noticeably better since the oil/filter change. Once I have done 3 or 4 miles it is very quiet. Like you said 09EX4WD, could just be a bit of piston slap which would not concern me much unless it happened all the time. I had an old Volvo 240 station wagon many years ago that suffered from piston slap when cold all the time I had it & that made it to just over 300,000 miles without incident.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Dave, You did the right thing changing the oil. Now you know for sure it was changed and this will help get you off to a fresh start with your new to you CR-V. Personally, I change my own oil and oil filter every 6 months because my annual mileage is just over 10,000 miles. I run synthetic Mobil 1 0W20 and my every 6 months works out very well with that. Have you thought about changing the transmission fluid too? Just do the 'Honda' drop and refill of usually 3 quarts; never a complete flush with the Hondas. Check other threads here on the forum about transmission fluid changes. Oh, welcome to the forum too!
Cheers,
jimbob15

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you jimbob15

Yes the transmission fluid is on my list to do next week when I'm next off work. I have 3 bottles of genuine Honda fluid sat on the shelf ready to do the job & also a new inline filter (the one in the fluid cooler line near the radiator).
I also am awaiting some dual pump fluid so I can do the rear differential too.

I am a bit obsessive about fluid changes. My previous vehicle (a 1999 Chevy Blazer) probably got far more oil/filter & transmission fluid changes than it ever needed but it paid off over the years with trouble-free performance.

Regards,

DAVE.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
You better have another bottle of ATF handy. Sometimes it takes over 3 qts and you don't want to be caught short.
It the atf is real dark or smells at all burnt, more than one drain and fill (with driving at hwy speeds between each drain and fill) is recommended.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
220 Posts
My 2005 crv does make noise right when turned on and is cold.

a little after that when gets warmer the noise goes away.
It drives very nice and i dont think there is any valve issue, so if yours does the same, i would not be so concerned

·
Registered
7 Posts
Engine Noise

Hi DaveHearne,

Strange noise is also coming from my Honda Civic (model 2013) engine. It really sounded bad and then would go away once warmed up. It is the daily routine . I got it checked from my mechanic, he checked all the possible reasons of noise. But he is not able to detect the problem. I am not coming to any conclusion and confused . Do you have knowledge of any of them? Please guide me at the earliest.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
If you describe the noise, perhaps someone will be able to help. Strange noise is not very descriptive.
Screeching, ticking,tapping, knocking,rumbling,howling,banging,ringing etc.
On some of the older CRVs, the tensioner/idler pulley on the AC belt would make a screeching noise when first started during cold temps, and then the noise would go away shortly (sec to several minutes).
Buffalo4

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Maybe the VTC actuator? I know this is a common problem on these vehicles. There's an entire thread on it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you describe the noise, perhaps someone will be able to help. Strange noise is not very descriptive.
Screeching, ticking,tapping, knocking,rumbling,howling,banging,ringing etc.
On some of the older CRVs, the tensioner/idler pulley on the AC belt would make a screeching noise when first started during cold temps, and then the noise would go away shortly (sec to several minutes).
Buffalo4
That's exactly what my 1998 did when I started it after it had been sitting for a few days in cold and wet conditions. I bought it this past summer and no problems at all but when the weather conditions became cold and wet, it started making noises.

Like I say, it happened when it got very cold here, (I live very rural), and it had rained very heavily for several days and I hadn't driven it. It was weird because it didn't make any noises when I first started it but when I had driven a couple of miles, it started making the noises. I pulled over and when it was idling the noises got fairly loud.

It blew my mind at first but I knew from experience the noises, (screeching and what sounded like mild rattling), it had to do with the belts and not the engine and thought at the very worst one of the pulley bearings was going out. I drove on and in another minute or so the noises stopped except for some very mild high pitched screeching. The next time I drove it, there were no noises at all. Since it's been fairly dry here since, I've driven it several times and no noises whatsoever. I coated the belts with belt conditioner just in case.

I agree with Buffalo4 and think the tensioner/idler pulley was the main culprit. My wife also has a 1998 and hers will occasionally do the same at times when it's been sitting in cold or wet conditions but disappears after a mile or so. These early CR-V's seem to do it to one degree or another.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi DaveHearne

Please let me clear whether your vehicle has diesel engine or petrol engine. If it has diesel engine then it is normal that it will start with noise in the engine during winters.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts