Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got a set of these tires here in northern BC. Noticed there was not much info on them here so if there is interest I will post a few pics and my observations about winter driving on ice and snow in the CRV. I beat the winter rush on snow tire installation. It snowed for the second time this fall, the day before I got the tires. Usually it starts seriously snowing here by Halloween but this year is a warmer longer fall. Since I am ready for winter it will probably be delayed. I also have all my firewood cut and my snowblower ready to roar. That should be enough to push winter back to December!

Anyways the tires are great. They ride with a firm but slightly soft feel that is very secure. Just drove the first 150 km and got the lug nuts retorqued. Kal tire installed them at 35 psi. I might drop 2 or 3 pounds if it improves traction. The ride is smooth but not too rough over the cracks and heaves in the roads. On dry roads at highway speed 100km/hr there was a slight tire hum, just enough so you know they are there but nothing irritating. On wet roads they are quieter but totally slip resistant. I'll snap a pic or two in a bit. I had them all cleaned and polished yesterday but today they got all dirty again in the rain.

http://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r2-suv/

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
pics

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Honda cr-v
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Alloy wheel
View attachment 33817

The tires are stock size mounted on first gen steel rims that have been repainted. Found the rims on kijiji for $100. I think they have a classy utilitarian look to them. Had hard frost last night but no snow yet. I can wait. These tires are expensive but its really the installation fees and taxes that kill you. I paid $149 per tire for a total of $866 CDN. I have the pleasure of waiting till the new year for a $70 mail in rebate Master Card to arrive if the rebate gods deem me worthy. Stay tuned for more when some snow and ice arrive!

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Big Wet Snow!

We woke up today to Snow. Lots of it. About 10 inches. Wet. Unusual. Most snow here in the rocky mountain foothills is dry and powdery. We wanted to go to town from our rural acreage a 10 Km drive. We made the decision to snowblow the driveway later. Pre CRV days this would have been a challenge. We might not always make it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweeping the snow off the V we used our yellow snow scoop to shovel the walk leaving the snowblower for later. We took a few more pics and headed out.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All that yucky mud came off on the nice new snow. Its pretty deep. This would be dicey in our old car. No spinning at all just smooth traction. We slowly drove out no speeding required.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is always the most difficult part of the driveway because its up hill, around a blind curve and onto a paved road to the.highway. Of course by this time there was a big snowdrift from the plowtruck to ram through to get onto the road.. If somebody is coming down the road I have to stop before proceeding onto the road. This used to mean you got stuck in the driveway.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here we are at the critical point and then onto the main road. I went so slow I was worried I might get stuck but it went so smooth. I felt no tire spin at all just great traction. The road was very crudely plowed to one lane wide and lots of wet slush interspersed with unplowed snow and very deep tire ruts. The underside of the V was pushing snow and the ruts wanted to throw us around a bit if only they could! The tires just kept gripping and powering us through it all!

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The sharp curve ahead is just before the highway junction and is something we always slow to 30 Kph or less. Every winter some of our neighbors try to take it faster and plunge over the embankment into a massive ditch below. No ones died YET.

Well here we are on the highway into town. Temperature +3 C and the snow was much less in town because it is at a lower elevation and got more rain instead. So some fairly good test conditions today. Its going to freeze tonight and form ice. Is gonna do the freeze thaw cycle and form a lot more ice. These are studdless tires. If they fall down at all its probably gonna be ice that does it. Another thing is this is our first winter wIth the V. Previously had an Accord FWD with winter tires both studded and studdless. So we don't have any idea how the V performs in snow with all season tires but in the accord the All season tires went hard in the cold temperatures and meant sliding around a lot. The trip to town and back was a success and I was able to drive with easy confidence on the first real day of winter! I will be back with more when the ice forms.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No really icy conditions yet but they will come. Went to town yesterday. No copilot/photographer so just observations. Conditions were just below freezing, compact snow and ice with fresh snow falling at the time. Other drivers were having a tough time of it and were driving much slower than usual. I had it easy. I drove at my normal speed (under the limit) and it felt very safe no slipping and sliding at stops, except a smidgen of wheel spin on my enthusiastic accelleration from a stop. Then the AWD would kick in and I was moving forward smoothly again. On my way back I decided to stomp on the brakes to see if I could get the tires to slide on compact snow. If I was running all season tires I am sure I would have been sliding and the ABS would have engaged. I came to a quick stop , no sliding and barely a reaction from the ABS. I could not break the grip of my tires.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Still no ice or deep powder snow to speak of here on the roads lately. Great weather ATM, whenever eastern Canada and the northeastern States get hammered by bad weather, we in northern BC have the balmiest conditions. Its wonderful!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Since original poster likely does not speak Suomi, permit a small correction, the tires are Nokian Hakkapeliitta

The actual tire is Nokia and the "n" denotes ownership as is Nokias_Tire which in Suomi is Nokian

Hakkapeliitat denotes cavalry service during the 30 year war (1618–1648) where Finns served in Swedish regiments.

The war cry "Hakkaa päälle!" means freely translated to attack but more literally to hit their heads.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Apologies to the Finns for the sloppy spelling. I doubt I will ever remember how many double i's or T's are in it. So from now on its just Hakka's for convenience sake!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well finally got the CRV on some icy roads. It has been very cold lately -15 to -30 C. We have had some dry powdery snow. Sounds like driving on chalk and the tires handle it perfectly. As the cold conditions stay day after day the roads get a glazed surface of ice from compacted snow and the blowing powder snow polishes it to a shine. My first slide came at a stop sign. I just held the brake as the ABS kicked in and the tires gripped the road again. Drove a couple hundred KM on the highway at full speed. Once in a while I sensed it sliding around a bit but always regaining grip very quickly without threatening loss of control or leaving me with feeling of danger. I have never driven with such confidence in all kinds of bad weather. I don't speed but I do not have to slow down much in poor conditions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here in Augusta,GA it is 57F/13C at 5 AM. I've lived in snow and ice in New England. I get nostalgic for a white winter but then I see pictures like yours and the nostalgia ends.
Do you use any weight like a couple of bags of cat litter/sand in the back of the CRV? I bet that would help with the rear traction a bit.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Very interesting account. Subscribing for updates. Here in Scandinavia, Hakkapeliitta winter tyres are regarded as the top of the top and are notorious test-winners. That traditionally goes for the studded ones, but their non-studded winter tyres are now also reaching the top of the top.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here in Augusta,GA it is 57F/13C at 5 AM. I've lived in snow and ice in New England. I get nostalgic for a white winter but then I see pictures like yours and the nostalgia ends.
Do you use any weight like a couple of bags of cat litter/sand in the back of the CRV? I bet that would help with the rear traction a bit.
No nothing in the rear for weight. Does not seem to be a problem at this point. My 2wd long box pickup is another story!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Very interesting account. Subscribing for updates. Here in Scandinavia, Hakkapeliitta winter tyres are regarded as the top of the top and are notorious test-winners. That traditionally goes for the studded ones, but their non-studded winter tyres are now also reaching the top of the top.
Thanks canyon!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts