Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in New Jersey where sometimes the winters are bad and sometimes are not. But I do have a job where Im expected to be at work even in a Blizzard. I have a 2004 CRV. Im thinking of getting a set of new tires. I was looking at the Nokian Tires WRG2 and the new WRG3. Nokian claims they are an all-weather tire, which they say is an upscale all-season tire. But they will probably wear faster in the warm weather.
Has anyone had any experience with this tire? Im basically looking for a good riding year round tire that would be good in snow.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I recommend getting Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 and swap them with all seasons/summers. I know that you are looking for a year round tire, since you need to work in difficult weather conditions its best to have something specific to winter driving conditions.

·
Registered
867 Posts
We have two sets of WRG2 in the family. Getting a third set in October. All on small SUVs. Guess that explains if we're happy with them.

Tread life is not as long as regular premium tires, but saving the hassle of having two sets of wheels and switching twice a year is worth it.

Traction is not as good as dedicated snow tires, but pretty damn good. Unless you drive in the country in deep snow with no snow removal, take a look at them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have been using the WRs for the last three cars. I currently have the WRG2's on my 2008 Acura CSX and a 2013 Toyota Rav 4. We are in Winnipeg and your NJ weather is mild! The WRGs are great and the new WRG3s are out in some sizes already. With the mileage guarantee and how they handle the roads whether sun, rain or snow are incredible.

BUY THEM.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Quetest all season tire for my 2010 CR-V, WR2 just unberably noisy after 50K

looking for advice on all season or winter tire to replace wr2. after 50k, tread worn down to "winter driving level" indicator bar and CR-V being noisy car as is, now is noisy like hell due to WR2s. There are lots of complain about noise from WR2s I found online. So, I am looking for advice on replacement and looking for quet and reliable tires, not Nokia, had enough of those. Planning to ether get comparable all season or separate winter set with disks and a summer set

·
Registered
229 Posts
Very good tires, I had the Nordman (nokian) wrg2' suv's on our '14 CRV , my sis in Windsor On has Nokian wrg3 suv's on her '10 Santa Fe Sport fwd and really likes them.
The Nordman's are Nokian's lower priced line, I'd look into them if I were you, just a bit of a older tread design but still a excellent tire.
They are pretty darned good in snow slush, on ice not as much but I'm comparing to studded I have now.
It's not that Nokian claims, they are actually govt rated for severe winter use with the snow flake symbol stamped, it's a winter tire you can leave on all year.
The only draw back is they get a tad noisy and wear a bit faster.
Still a fair trade off if you can stand some extra tire noise and and shorter life span, there has to be sacrifces some where along the line I guess.
But for our '15 I went back to the studded Nordman 5's
It get really dicey up here, 4.5 hrs n/w of Thunder Bay Ontario thats why I decided of the Nordman tires

https://youtu.be/MetiRGsGvGA

·
Registered
18 Posts
I worked at a tire shop here in bc canada for a while and we sold more nokians than anything else. Simply because we claim they're awesome. Well I got myself a fresh set last winter and boy, I love em. My V never got stuck, and felt like it was glued to the ground. Personally, I highly recommend the Nokians.

·
Registered
554 Posts
From Nokia FAQ web:

Is Nokia 's Finnish anymore ?

Nokian Tyres is a strong Finnish company. Product development and management, and sales and marketing management are centralized to Nokia , which is also the company's registered office. Finland employs approximately 1700 people directly and indirectly far more .

Nokian Tyres has its own factories in Nokia, Finland and Vsevolozhsk, Russia . Both factories usually make all Nokian Hakkapeliitta and Nokian Hakka models of the same raw materials and use identical production processes and quality control systems for all markets . Our tires manufactured in Russia are of comparable quality than those manufactured in Finland.

·
Registered
229 Posts
@ Jesbecause:
That to my best knowledge that is incorrect information.
Nokian has many manufacturing plant's contracts subsidiaries etc around the globe.
They are partnered with one of the Stone tire brands as a shareholder.
My Nordman WRG2 suvs were made in Russia as my Nordman-Nordman 5's suvs, my sis's wrg3 suvs she bought this spring are produced in Finland.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yup......
Should've checked beforehand.....I originally purchased the WR suv and loved them. Onto the WRG2 suv and noticed they were produced in Russia. I kinda remembered them being sold, but that was to Bridgestone in 2007 and opening up a factory in Kaziakhstan in 2009. Anyway sorry for the misinformation. Still a great tyre and would prefer to purchase tyres from Finland as opposed to Russia and I guess that was the point I should've made.....

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yup......
Should've checked beforehand.....I originally purchased the WR suv and loved them. Onto the WRG2 suv and noticed they were produced in Russia. I kinda remembered them being sold, but that was to Bridgestone in 2007 and opening up a factory in Kaziakhstan in 2009. Anyway sorry for the misinformation. Still a great tyre and would prefer to purchase tyres from Finland as opposed to Russia and I guess that was the point I should've made.....
To be honest I felt the same way, when I saw made in Russia, I was tempted to return them and I could have with Kal Tires 30 day return.
But as anything, not every one there supports Mr.P and his policies and they deserve to work too.
The plants are owned, operated with machinery etc bye Nokian they assured me of the quality.
I actually e mailed them about it lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts