Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother just bought a 2017 CR-V, EX trim, FWD in Obsidian Blue. We have never owned a Honda before but after test driving multiple cars, this was her choice. She retires later this year, so this should be her retirement car. I am now her "tech support" ... I'm not really mechanically inclined, but I'll definitely be helping her with all the tech on the car!

I know I saw a thread on extended warranties here. I'll be checking that out. We did decline the "Platinum" plan they offered at the dealer. Didn't feel like paying $2500 for 7yrs/75000 miles.

I'm sure I'll have questions on behalf of my mom in the future!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Welcome to the forum. This is the place to be if you want to learn about the CRV and help your mom out. I'm glad she didn't buy that extended warranty because that price is a rip off. If y'all want an extended warranty I would call College Hills Honda or Saucci (someone help me with the spelling) Honda. They sell better Honda warranties for a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
644 Posts
One thing I learned early on regarding "warranties":

- the only true "warranty" is the "new car warranty" (like the 3yr/36000 & 5yr/5000 miles) offered by the manufacturer, because the cost of that "warranty" is already included in the car price.
- Anything "extended" is a "service plan" and not a "warranty"
- because car mechanical and electronics change so much, I advise signing up for the manufacturer's own "extended service plan" rather than a 3rd party plan.
- many of the 3rd party companies only exist to collect your hard earned money upfront and deny any claim on some excuse or the other. They share their bounty with the dealers. These companies have nothing to loose. On the other hand the manufacturer may have a vested interest in maintaining their reputation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm glad she didn't buy that extended warranty because that price is a rip off. If y'all want an extended warranty I would call College Hills Honda or Saucci (someone help me with the spelling) Honda. They sell better Honda warranties for a lot cheaper.
- because car mechanical and electronics change so much, I advise signing up for the manufacturer's own "extended service plan" rather than a 3rd party plan.
- many of the 3rd party companies only exist to collect your hard earned money upfront and deny any claim on some excuse or the other. They share their bounty with the dealers. These companies have nothing to loose. On the other hand the manufacturer may have a vested interest in maintaining their reputation.

Thanks for the welcome Coastie05 and genuser. On reflection, the warranty they were offering was definitely 3rd party, not Honda. It was the MPP Platinum disappearing deductible plan which supposedly would cover even some wear and tear stuff and a rental. But because I had browsed here just briefly, I definitely did not want to let mom pay $3000 for an "extended warranty." I am fairly certain this is the website for the company/plan that my dealer was trying to sell: www dot mpp dot com (sorry for having to spell it out...I don't have 5 posts...yet!)

Mom and I will talk today about whether she wants an extended warranty thru HondaCare (College Hills, Hyannis, or Saccucci).

Thanks!

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've purchased 3 extended warranties over the past several decades. They are all a roll of the dice just like any insurance.
Two out of the three times I never needed to use them and they expired. But one time the transmission on my Mitsubishi mini van blew. It was beyond the standard warranty but the extended warranty covered it one hundred percent. The dealer put in a factory new 5 speed standard trans at zero cost to me. The billing was for just over $2500. The cost of the extended warranty was covered and then some...however overall the insurance companies are winning two to one.

It also depends on what is covered, how it is covered, who can do the repairs, parts...new, etc. etc. etc.
Read read read before you sign if you decide on one. You can always set aside a couple of grand just in case and if not used you have a little nest egg to be used as you see fit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts