Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Where has everyone gone? I keep coming to the forum in anticipation but there's not much going on.

Surely our cars can't be that reliable can they? :rolleyes:

As a long term owner I'm hoping my knowledge can help other members.

It's good to 'talk'!

Cheers......

·
Registered
371 Posts
Guys,

Where has everyone gone? I keep coming to the forum in anticipation but there's not much going on.

It's good to 'talk'!

QUOTE]
Perhaps they are all down the Pub?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm new to this forum and think that the lack of activity may be down to owners being unaware of the site. I'm also trying to find out if there is a UK CRV owners club ?
Regards Mick

·
Registered
73 Posts
South London Lad here,.

and i luv me CR-V just done me proud on a lil holiday i went on with the missis, and the parents, and a full boot load,

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Is the Hr-V the one that is popular in the UK? Or do you guys still favor the Cr-v? Get the word out there. There really isn't much of a fan-base going on across the pond.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Its seems to be the CR-v is known as a FAMILY or GRANDAD car, its not really a cool car, expsecailly when you can get the BMW Z5 Second hand for about £15K now, or a Range Rover Sport.

·
Registered
371 Posts
15k GBP?.......You can Keep the Range Rover.........just send the Girl

·
Registered
66 Posts
Robexor

You raise an interesting point about Honda demographics in the UK. Honda are favoured by the older generation (me included), presumably for their reliability and are therefore considered boring. Honda are trying to change this with their current car designs which are supposed to be funky.

I wonder whether Honda have the same image issues in the USA?

I have an ‘06 CR-V and am just exchanging an ’01 Civic for an ’08 Jazz. All three are “previous” models.

In choosing a car I place a lot of weight on reliability. But I also love car design and my design mantra is “Form Follows Function”. What I loved about the previous Honda designs was their brutal simplicity – very Zen! There is not a line or piece of metal that does not serve a function.

By contrast, the current generation Hondas are a dog’s breakfast, from a design perspective. Honda are trying to make their cars look more “European” and less Japanese, to appeal to the younger generation. The front of the new CR-V looks like a facelift gone wrong. The back end looks like a 4x4 trying to look like a car. And don’t get me started on the spoiler stuck in the middle of the rear window of the Civic! It makes as much sense as white stillettoes. The new jazz looks OK.

So I am going to have to nurture my cars. I have a serious problem in knowing what to buy when I need to buy a replacement.

I can only hope that Honda will see sense and abandon their current freaky designs. They need to grow up again and then maybe I could see myself buying the next generation cars

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is the Hr-V the one that is popular in the UK? Or do you guys still favor the Cr-v? Get the word out there. There really isn't much of a fan-base going on across the pond.
The HR-V didn't really catch in in the UK Serj. Interesting looking car but it had a weak 1.6 litre engine, was small inside and lacked safety features.

The CR-V is much more popular but as mentioned above it's doesn't really stir passion in many people. I stick with mine because of it's bullet-proof reliability, versatility and great dealer support.

I manage my need for 'coolness' with my new Civic Type-R ;)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its seems to be the CR-v is known as a FAMILY or GRANDAD car, its not really a cool car, expsecailly when you can get the BMW Z5 Second hand for about £15K now, or a Range Rover Sport.

Rob,

Take your point. Wish I could find a RR Sport for £15K though. Looked long and hard a couple of months ago but no chance, unless it was a Cat D :(

The current shape X5, per your pic, is also high on my list of must have cars but the cheapest I found for the current version was way over £25K.

I'm sticking with my 'V and Civic until the time is right for my ultimate dream motor, Aston V8 Vantage (pre-owned of course).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Guys,

It's good to 'talk'!

Cheers......
Hi ndj, and to all other members. New CR-V owner and Granddad here! with first post.

Owned the 2005 CRV (Petrol auto) for 3 weeks now and although very pleased with it, i have a few questions:
1. When driving (all speeds between 20 - 70 mph) car tends to pull to Right or Left depending on road construction (not the usual pull to left senario like most vehicle makes), sometimes the pull on steering wheel is quite aggressive. I notice 3 of the tyres are Bridgestone Traction T/As, 1 of the rears (brand new fitted on MOT advisory by dealer i bought from) is a make i have never heard of i can't recall now.

2. At approx 1900 rpm, noise emanating from engine bay area accompanied by a buzzing feeling under left foot (between brake pedal and driver's seat). Sounds like an exhaust resonance and seems to boom through cabin area. As soon as engine moves through 1900 rpm, engine lovely and quiet. Is this a characteristic of the petrol auto CR-V or a defect? Confusing.

3. When using light braking from 60 ish, steering wheel oscilates left and right, i believe this is a brake disc warp? If you have any other theories, i would be glad to hear them.

The dealer has quite happily agreed to replace front discs and pads (car bought with 3 mth/3k ml warranty) and i'm sure he will investigate other symptoms, but he is not a Honda dealer and may not have correct equipment to identify them.

I did stop off at my local Honda dealer and regretable, first impressions were not good. The guy on service desk agreed to accompany me to listen to engine/autobox/exhaust noise. It only took 1/2 mile to agreed it didn't sound correct. On return to garage, he went to explain the symptom to a tech. On his return, he said tech mentioned gearbox! I asked him if a tech could accompany me and he said they were all too busy and i should book car in for diagnostics at a cost of £60 + VAT. I said it would only take tech 2 mins to listen and give me some idea but, it was a no-goer. Very dissapointed, hope future experiences are better. Sorry to hit you with this on my first post, hopefully future ones will be shorter!

Regards

Keith

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm here too!

Hi Europeans,
I've also just joined the ranks of the CR-V owners of Europe.
I'm based in Scotland and have owned my CR-V for around a Month now.
Sadly I've only had it at home for around a week!

Purchased from Arnold Clarks in Inverness and had such a list of faults that it beggars belief that it is even a Honda :) I'm guessing it had a fairly hard life from it's previous owner!!

Still, with dogged determination and a fair bit of persuasion we are almost there with the repairs. The car is scheduled to return on Wednesday or Thursday of this week, this time, hopefully, for good.

I usually do my own repairs and servicing so forums like this are an invaluable source of information.

I guess that folk will have noticed that Haynes have just finished their CR-V manual 02 to 06 modles Petrol and Diesel? That's good as Mr Haynes has gotten me out of a few fixes over the years :)

I will call in here form time to time and see how tings progress and, if I make any repairs or have any problems I shall post here also.

James

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi ndj, and to all other members. New CR-V owner and Granddad here! with first post.

Owned the 2005 CRV (Petrol auto) for 3 weeks now and although very pleased with it, i have a few questions:
1. When driving (all speeds between 20 - 70 mph) car tends to pull to Right or Left depending on road construction (not the usual pull to left senario like most vehicle makes), sometimes the pull on steering wheel is quite aggressive. I notice 3 of the tyres are Bridgestone Traction T/As, 1 of the rears (brand new fitted on MOT advisory by dealer i bought from) is a make i have never heard of i can't recall now.

2. At approx 1900 rpm, noise emanating from engine bay area accompanied by a buzzing feeling under left foot (between brake pedal and driver's seat). Sounds like an exhaust resonance and seems to boom through cabin area. As soon as engine moves through 1900 rpm, engine lovely and quiet. Is this a characteristic of the petrol auto CR-V or a defect? Confusing.

3. When using light braking from 60 ish, steering wheel oscilates left and right, i believe this is a brake disc warp? If you have any other theories, i would be glad to hear them.

The dealer has quite happily agreed to replace front discs and pads (car bought with 3 mth/3k ml warranty) and i'm sure he will investigate other symptoms, but he is not a Honda dealer and may not have correct equipment to identify them.

I did stop off at my local Honda dealer and regretable, first impressions were not good. The guy on service desk agreed to accompany me to listen to engine/autobox/exhaust noise. It only took 1/2 mile to agreed it didn't sound correct. On return to garage, he went to explain the symptom to a tech. On his return, he said tech mentioned gearbox! I asked him if a tech could accompany me and he said they were all too busy and i should book car in for diagnostics at a cost of £60 + VAT. I said it would only take tech 2 mins to listen and give me some idea but, it was a no-goer. Very dissapointed, hope future experiences are better. Sorry to hit you with this on my first post, hopefully future ones will be shorter!

Regards

Keith

Hi Keith & Welcome to the forum! Some comments on your problems....

1. Typically my 'V will pull to the left a little due to road camber. However, there are roads in my home town where it can pull either way regardless of road camber. It's strage. Not really aggressive but not expected. The tyres are too narrow on the MK2 'V in my opinion. Original fit on my car are Bridgestone Dueler.

2. Mine does not have that issue but I have a manual.

3. Warped disks would be my opinion although I should say that I'm still on my first set of front disks at 5.5 years and ~50K miles.

Try another Honda dealer. My local dealer is great.

Stick with it; these are very reliable cars if looked after...

Cheers...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Europeans,
I've also just joined the ranks of the CR-V owners of Europe.
I'm based in Scotland and have owned my CR-V for around a Month now.
Sadly I've only had it at home for around a week!

Purchased from Arnold Clarks in Inverness and had such a list of faults that it beggars belief that it is even a Honda :) I'm guessing it had a fairly hard life from it's previous owner!!

Still, with dogged determination and a fair bit of persuasion we are almost there with the repairs. The car is scheduled to return on Wednesday or Thursday of this week, this time, hopefully, for good.

I usually do my own repairs and servicing so forums like this are an invaluable source of information.

I guess that folk will have noticed that Haynes have just finished their CR-V manual 02 to 06 modles Petrol and Diesel? That's good as Mr Haynes has gotten me out of a few fixes over the years :)

I will call in here form time to time and see how tings progress and, if I make any repairs or have any problems I shall post here also.

James
Hello James & welcome!

Stick with it. There is a great car waiting to get out! Most problems come down to the level of care from previous owners. I've owned my 'V from new and in 5.5 years it's only needed an o2 sensor & diff flush over and above the regular Honda services.

Off topic, we're heading north in a couple of weeks for a short break in Ballachulish. Love it up there ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi from Skye

Hello everyone. I've just registered with this forum having become the owner of a '99 CR-V ES. Purchased it in Perth last week and am delighted with it.
It is in absolutely stunning condition and looks more like a two year old car rather than a ten year old one.
Hope to call into the forum every so often and to get any hints and tips from you experts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
New here. We orderd a new 2009 yesterday:) Hope to get it in a few weeks.
Deep Bronze something, almost black, Elegance.
Located in Sweden

1 - 20 of 53 Posts