Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I would post a few notes about my install of the new JL Stealthbox custom fit subwoofer for 2012/13/14 CR-V:

1. The included instructions are very clear and easy to follow. You shouldn't have any problems.
  2. Check the parts. I was missing the 1/4" flat washers and 3/8" lock washer specified in the instructions. Easy to pick up at the local hardware store, but frustrating to be missing parts with a $650 product!
  3. The instructions don't mention that you need to use a pen or nail to push in on the little button in the center of the plastic fastener to remove the luggage hook and the rear bumper cover.
  4. You don't have to completely remove the cargo area side panel and you don't have to remove the rear passenger door pieces at all. I was able to get away with only removing the rear bumper cover, luggage hook, cargo hold-down, and seat release lever screws. From there I could pull the side panel away far enough to install the mounting strap per JL's instructions.
  5. The screws mounting the sub into the box strip easily. I replaced all mine with black "Wall Dog" screws - which work much better than the ones supplied by JL.
  6. The sub sounds awesome once you get it dialed in. Remember it is wired for 2 ohms and JL recommends at least a 200W amp to light it up. 300W to 400W is best.
  7. Plan on adding sound dampening/deadener if you really want to turn it up (and you can!).
SBinstall1.jpg

·
Registered
132 Posts
Awesome! I just ordered one today! Will drive it with the rear two channels a JL Audio 400/4 bridged to the Sub. That should do the trick. I demo'd my system with a JL Micro Sub 10" (Same driver as the Stealth box I believe) It sounded great. So that gave me the confidence to order the Stealth Box.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome! I just ordered one today! Will drive it with the rear two channels a JL Audio 400/4 bridged to the Sub. That should do the trick. I demo'd my system with a JL Micro Sub 10" (Same driver as the Stealth box I believe) It sounded great. So that gave me the confidence to order the Stealth Box.
The sub is wired for 2-ohms. The 400/4 can only drive 4-ohms bridged. You may want to adjust your plans a little.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The sub is wired for 2-ohms. The 400/4 can only drive 4-ohms bridged. You may want to adjust your plans a little.
I spoke with my Shop and they said despite the spec's on the XD 400/4, they said it will run the 2 ohm StealthSub just fine. They have been at this for over 30 years and are the authorized shop that did my install. So for now, I will trust them. If I make change I might upgrade to the 700/5.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I spoke with my Shop and they said despite the spec's on the XD 400/4, they said it will run the 2 ohm StealthSub just fine. They have been at this for over 30 years and are the authorized shop that did my install. So for now, I will trust them. If I make change I might upgrade to the 700/5.
To each his own, but I would *never* trust a shop's word over the manufacturer's published specifications. Good luck.

·
Registered
132 Posts
To each his own, but I would *never* trust a shop's word over the manufacturer's published specifications. Good luck.
I've dealt with this shop for MANY systems over the years. If there is an issue, I have no doubt in my mind, they will take care of me. I asked very specifically and was reassured. If something does happen, it won't take long to find out.

My tendency however is to either upgrade to a 700/5 or add a 300/1 for the Sub.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts