Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today went on a long freeway drive, 90 miles each way at 75 mph most of the trip. Before starting out, checked oil level. Recalled that prior check was over the half mark. Now it was on the half mark. Really? Hmm. It looked like I lost some dilution. Good news?

On the way to my destination, it was 90 minutes driving at 75 mph. Nothing special except for the annoying ACC, the annoying turn signal and the imperfect LKAS. After arriving at my destination and did my things for about 1 hour, got back to the car and drove to another place about 5 minutes away. Another 20 minutes before starting and driving car again. Nothing special so far. Then on return trip, also 90 minutes driving freeway speed. Instead of going straight back home, went to a store at an outdoor mall. In and out in 5 minutes. Again, nothing unusual. Started up car and drove for about 50 feet to another store and parked. 20 minutes passed. Started up the car and I got "smell of gas in the cabin"!!! A bit concern. Again, drove 50 feet to another store and parked for about 5 minutes. Started up car and again, "smell of gas in cabin"!!! What's going on? As I was driving away, I opened up the window to ventilate the cabin. Closed the windows and didn't smell any gas. Drove for another 15 minutes to yet another store. In and out in 5 minutes. This time started up car and had no gas smell. :confused2:

Just checked the oil level and it stayed at the half mark. No increase. Am I trading one problem for another?

Any theory as to why I got the gas smell twice after driving short distance with a hot engine?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Was your HVAC on fresh or recirculate? Rear muffs upwind? Out of tune clunker close to you, upwind? Klac, klac, klac, klac, klac, klac, klac diesel p/u close by? Etc., etc., etc.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Not sure about gas fumes but I frequently smell rich exhaust fumes as I back out of garage in the morning but that's when the air vent, a window, or roof is open. When backing out at night, I see light blue exhaust smoke in the headlights. Not sure if your's is exhaust versus gas fumes but if the former, air direction, vehicle movement, etc play a role.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
So on your hwy drive its perfect, but on your local stops it was not.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Not sure about gas fumes but I frequently smell rich exhaust fumes as I back out of garage in the morning but that's when the air vent, a window, or roof is open. When backing out at night, I see light blue exhaust smoke in the headlights. Not sure if your's is exhaust versus gas fumes but if the former, air direction, vehicle movement, etc play a role.
mine has been the same since the fix...really rich smelling in garage at startup ......but dont worry as CRV is acting as it and everything is fine...best part is they didnt even need to bring it into shop to check it out

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It wasn't windy at the time I smelled gas. I had the vents on fresh air, not recirculate. AC wasn't on (it's winter here in WI). Windows were closed. No diesel/smokers around. Only on the 2 very short stop/starts that the smell was detected. The smell was brief, though. I don't believe it lasted for the longer duration when I drove home.

Still thinking as to what could be the cause ...

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
If it was windy, you probably would not smell exhaust fumes........wind would quickly disperse any fumes/smell. Vents on "fresh" and stopped/going slow might be your answer. Anytime "fresh" is used, whatever outside smells are around will enter the cabin. It will take a moment for outside smells that enter the cabin to be circulated out of the cabin. Cracking the rear windows down slightly will increase air flow in to/out of the cabin quicker when the vehicle is moving and/or the fan speed is increased.

When you fart, don't you lower the windows a little? LOL:jawdrop:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I'm not looking for a solution at this point b/c I don't even know what caused it. It only happened briefly at startup and the gas smell came through the vents. I just wondered what happened and why. Did the very short drive (50 feet) cause the gas from the rich condition to build up and then burst through somewhere?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I’m confused.......are you saying you started the car, drove it 50’ to another parking spot, turned it off, then started it again?

Ok, went back re-read.......you parked/stopped the car 3 times, 50’ apart 2 times?

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,196 Posts
I’m confused.......are you saying you started the car, drove it 50’ to another parking spot, turned it off, then started it again?

Ok, went back re-read.......you parked/stopped the car 3 times, 50’ apart 2 times?
Maybe there is a physical reason with the OP or a passenger that required this?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Details are somewhat lacking. Since the vehicle is in a mall parking lot, I’m presuming lots of other vehicles, especially this time of year, are in close proximity and that’s what the OP may be smelling.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't think the reason for the short drives was needed but it seems you guys kept on digressing. In any case, if you must know, I did say that it was an outdoor mall, i.e. stores that have entrance facing the street. The wife wasn't going to walk in the cold weather to return stuffs so she had me drive from store to store and park so she could run in the store and return stuffs. So I drove from one store to the next, parked, stopped the engine, started up then engine sometime later and then drove to the next store.

·
Registered
276 Posts
My "guess": It is not clear, but I assume you have the "fix" applied. Cars O2 sensors and cats are not fully functional until at operating temps. Multiple 'cold" starts would just make any fumes more likely on any car.

And if you the have the fix, which did change the engine air/fuel mixture in some fashion by updated FI programming, it could be even more likely to make it more oblivious, since Honda did change something to make the car warm up faster, or so they say, since I cannot get the fix

Rant here: Yeah, time to say to Honda again hoping they just might care to see what real customers are saying, I am still not happy camper for your lack of warranty support. Thanks, now back to regular programming. LOL.

Probably nothing to worry about unless you smell it in more normal operation conditions. Just my read. In this case, I would give Honda a pass for now. LOL

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
The CRV goes into “closed loop” within seconds of cold/hot start-up, meaning the heated O2 sensor(s) are functioning/signaling the ECU.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thanks. I have heard the new cars O2 sensors are faster. Did not know they were that fast. But would not the cats still need to be hot to get to a fully clean burn condition? It is a chemical reaction,so should be temp dependent whereas the 02 senors control more of the a/f mixtures. Or so I "thought" I understood.

I know my older Camry smells like a junk heap for a few minutes from a cold start. LOL

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My "guess": It is not clear, but I assume you have the "fix" applied. Cars O2 sensors and cats are not fully functional until at operating temps. Multiple 'cold" starts would just make any fumes more likely on any car.

And if you the have the fix, which did change the engine air/fuel mixture in some fashion by updated FI programming, it could be even more likely to make it more oblivious, since Honda did change something to make the car warm up faster, or so they say, since I cannot get the fix

Rant here: Yeah, time to say to Honda again hoping they just might care to see what real customers are saying, I am still not happy camper for your lack of warranty support. Thanks, now back to regular programming. LOL.

Probably nothing to worry about unless you smell it in more normal operation conditions. Just my read. In this case, I would give Honda a pass for now. LOL
No, I don't have any fixes and I've never experienced that smell before then. If you read my original post, this happened after the car was driven for 90 minutes at freeway speed (75 mph) and the stop-start intervals weren't that long (5 minutes).

I'm not greatly concerned just yet since it only happened twice in that very particular situation but still interested in finding out what it could be possibly.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Thanks. I have heard the new cars O2 sensors are faster. Did not know they were that fast. But would not the cats still need to be hot to get to a fully clean burn condition? It is a chemical reaction,so should be temp dependent whereas the 02 senors control more of the a/f mixtures. Or so I "thought" I understood.

I know my older Camry smells like a junk heap for a few minutes from a cold start. LOL

You are correct, the cats take a while as they are heated by exhaust only. The O2s are heated very rapidly by electrical current.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.