Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope people actually read this the location based sections aren't often seen. I have to comment on how awful the NY roads are is it just me? I was driving from the Meadowbrook all the way through Grand Central and as I got closer to NYC it felt like an off-road course at 60 MPH!!!! This is the issue I really don't want a new alignment because what end's up happening is the rubbish roads will throw me out again and then I just wasted money. There is one particularly bad section my exit on the grand central 69th ave an Jewel going towards NYC there have been so many potholes patched up that it has become a large speed bump at no matter what speeds you hit it makes me groan each time I pass. I literally have to go way out of my way to get home to avoid reeking havoc on my suspension. Also we have the slowest construction crews ever on my daily drive I go over a grounded up section the project was started 3 weeks ago and in three weeks all they have done was ground up the road and less than a week and then have it sit, c'mon lay some dang tarmac. Is there any number I can call to report the dangerous road conditions. I love that in NY we pay the most for insurance, get ripped off in gas, are ticketed for about everything, pay a lot for our sales tax and still we have worse roads than a rural village in Colombia :confused: . Anyways just venting my frustration.

·
Registered
264 Posts
THAT IS one of the main reasons why i got rid of my xb- it was lowered with tein springs and EACH time i drove up to NY and drove on the GCP i would cry at how horrible all the potholes were... SOOOO BAD!!! i feel your pain. I was hoping moving to the cr-v i wouldn't feel those potholes as bad as in my lowered xb... but those potholes just seem to be getting worse and worse.... hopefully it'll be a mild winter otherwise those salt trucks and salt and ice are just going to ruin those roads even worse then they are now!!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THAT IS one of the main reasons why i got rid of my xb- it was lowered with tein springs and EACH time i drove up to NY and drove on the GCP i would cry at how horrible all the potholes were... SOOOO BAD!!! i feel your pain. I was hoping moving to the cr-v i wouldn't feel those potholes as bad as in my lowered xb... but those potholes just seem to be getting worse and worse.... hopefully it'll be a mild winter otherwise those salt trucks and salt and ice are just going to ruin those roads even worse then they are now!!
Yeah my old cars suspension was so loose it was like a bouncy castle pretty fun actually and scary but now that I have a good car I feel it more.

·
Registered
264 Posts
and did you notice that when they had repaved the GCP a few years back that it was still just as crappy? like near the water drainage... it felt like you were falling off a cliff if you went to close to the drains.... ugh NY roads are horrible... it only gets nicer when you get out into nassau county.... hmmmm i wonder why lol maybe it's all the tax they pay each year... they get nicer roads...

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and did you notice that when they had repaved the GCP a few years back that it was still just as crappy? like near the water drainage... it felt like you were falling off a cliff if you went to close to the drains.... ugh NY roads are horrible... it only gets nicer when you get out into nassau county.... hmmmm i wonder why lol maybe it's all the tax they pay each year... they get nicer roads...
Yeah but the roads out there on the meadowbrook and northernstate are not perfect I mean compared to even jersey motorways NY are bad. Also the workers have no accountability I work in commercial real estate and development and we have to make sure not a spec of garbage is on the ground yet state workers don't care, they open lanes with wet tar, the side of my moms car has evidence of that and they just drill holes and leave em for days.

·
Registered
264 Posts
i'll have to agree they are bad in NY .. sorry to hear about your moms car i would be so pissed at that!

·
Registered
45 Posts
yap NY road is bad...everywhere you go the have a construction goin...thats why NY has a bad road even NJ...if you take a long drive you can tell if you are in NY/NJ already cuz of the road condition :)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I spent 2 weeks in NYC about 1.5 years ago, part of that in a building near the NYC emergency center and also over in Newark. I agree that the roads are pathetic. The nicest streets were in lower Manhattan. Other than that, potholes everywhere. :eek:

·
Registered
264 Posts
I spent 2 weeks in NYC about 1.5 years ago, part of that in a building near the NYC emergency center and also over in Newark. I agree that the roads are pathetic. The nicest streets were in lower Manhattan. Other than that, potholes everywhere. :eek:
are there even nice streets downtown?! lol i haven't seen any!!

also not only the GCP bad!! what about the belt parkway holy moly... I swear i thought i was going to lose my wheel on that road it's just frightful!!

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I doubt they are any worse than Pennsylvania

Never been to NYC but upstate NY has rather nice roads. Pennsylvania has the most rotton roads I have ever seen, with the Pennsylvania Turnpike topping the list of truly horrible roads. Not only is it crappy, but you have to pay to experience it.

But you see we have a "freeze thaw cycle". Odd how that cycle knows where the state borders are.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Thanks, Black Pearl. I live in upstate NY. Roads, with a few exceptions of course, are not bad at all.

And like you said, it really is an insult to have rotten toll roads.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The belt parkways road surface is bad but the real problem is everytime I go on it I am usually going 1.5 miles an hour for 3 hours to get to the bridge or almost get killed by the nutjob drivers on it I swear I have saved myself from at least 10 accidents on that road. I was in 5 towns the other day and It was really rough worse roads than some dirt roads heading up to a campsite.

·
Registered
264 Posts
yeah the drivers on the belt are pretty bad! guess they go along with the road haha.. but by far that's gotta be the worst, but then again the bqe isn't the best either lol haha...

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
About 1.5 years ago, I had to spend about a month between a large site in Brooklyn (next to NYC 911 emergency center) and over in Newark, New Jersey.

OMG! The roads were absolutely among the worst I have ever driven on anywhere in the country. Add to that the big truck traffic around Newark, throw in the filth and general dirt of NYC; my manager summed it up when he said the entire area reminded him of a cesspool and he never wanted to visit, ever again.

I did, however, enjoy numerous fine restaurants in NYC though!

·
Registered
264 Posts
awww NY's roads may be horrible but it's not a cesspool!! it is filled with culture, like you said great restaurants, history, fine art, it's one of the most fascinating cities in the world and definitely not a cesspool! tell your boss he doesn't know what he's talking about lol.. he needs to open his eyes and see the beauty of the wonderful city, regardless how bad the roads are or if the streets are dirty, can't expect it to be clean with over 2 million people living and working in manhattan.... :rolleyes: Altho i can't say much about newark because it is pretty crappy over there in jersey esp near the oil refineries

·
Registered
50 Posts
my friends call me brave with 45 series tires on my car...
the roads are so bad in NJ/NY and I went to school in Newark...:(
Feel your pain

·
Registered
112 Posts
Speed holes

The bad roadways you are driving on were designed to slow you down. They put them there to make you drive slower. Not realy, but that is the end result of bumps and pot holes. The smooth roads in the south actually allow us to go faster. A pot hole in the south is usualy a sign of a sink hole to come. The cold weather up north causes the pot holes and bad pavement. The heavy trucks also beat the pavement to submission. The economics of keeping them patched is what keeps them not patched. The old saying in the south was if you see a pot hole here, get a shovel and fill it in, this is not the north were you complain to the highway department and they fix it. I have one suggestion for those complaining of bad roads up north, there are Islands in the world that have no traffic, no polution, low taxes, layed back, happy people, that have no idea of what you are complaining about.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
You can go to one of those islands...

or Maryland. Truly dangerous roads for those of us from Pennsylvania. No pot holes, wide, smooth, no jersey barriers, no construction, no 18 wheelers so close you can reach out the window and touch them, long accelleration ramps.

Those are extremely dangerous conditions in Maryland...we miss our adrenalin fix and tend to drift off.

We have a freeze / thaw cycle that curiously ends at the Ohio, West Virginia and Maryland borders (New York? depends on the road). Other states don't seem to be affected with the heavy trucks, freeze / thaw, terrible weather that we have in Pennsylvania. It is amazing. But I guess we should be happy with our conditions in the Keystone State, either that or move to one of those islands. God forbid that we would expect our politicians to manage the state roads, after all we have a freeze thaw cycle.

·
Registered
68 Posts
NY roads are the worst, NYC DOT workers don't give a **** about their work. They just put these huge "blobs" of asphalt and leave. I have been in other parts of the country where potholes are repaired and you don't notice it.

Does anyone recall the hidden camera episode where they secretly filmed a DOT crew in charge of filling up potholes? The workers took long lunch, did personal errands, went to a bar and at the end of the show 4 workers had only done 6 potholes yet their logs showed over 75 potholes done.....

our hard earned taxes at work!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts