Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000. Was wondering if any body knows the size of the "O" ring that goes on the plastic cap the passengers side of the valve cover, just forward of the distributor. The dealer only sells the entire cap for around 9.00.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,152 Posts
Just buy the cap...:rolleyes:

there are a LOT of 'ifs' when it comes to specifying o-rings, like diameter of the rubber O, diameter (thickness) of the rubber, composition (oil resistance) of the rubber. I should know, I have a 29 year old sports car, and I've gone through that agony several times...

Not only that, but often you can only buy o rings in packs of many, so the savings isn't really there.

I know that's not the answer you want... :mad:

·
Registered
895 Posts
Yeah, just buy a new cap. They get brittle after all those heat cycles anyway.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hate to buy an entire unit when all that is needed is a single rather inexpensive part. Guess I'm cheap or maybe it's the engineer in me. Besides that I have 2 CR-V's that have leaking plugs as well as my brother's CR-V.

Any good, old fashion hardware store sells "O" individually. Luckily there is one in the next town over from me. Was able after, some searching, match up and find what I needed. Cost was .30 each. Even from a supply house, 100 of these would only cost around 6 or 7 dollars; still cheaper than buying the entire cap from Honda and you'd have a life time supply.
The size is 1 5/16 OD x 1 1/8 ID x 3/32 Dia. "O" rings are generally known and purchased by the Dash Number which for this "O" ring is # 122.
As far as the correct material Buna-N is the correct material for motor oil and is the material most used in automotive applications - engine and cooling systems. The "O" rings sold in hardware stores are Buna-N. A medium hardness (Durometer 70A) is a general purpose, fits most applications "O" ring. These rings are black in color.
For 134A AC systems Viton "O" rings are used because of the oil used in these systems and they are usually green in color. They can also be used in contact with motor oil and are much better and longer lasting but cost about 4 times as much and won't be found in hardware stores.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts