Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. all.
I have a 2017 CR-V that has thh check engine light fluctuating and then staying on.

I friend put his OBD reader on it and kept getting an error code "Link Error" or something to that effect. In searching the net I found that there should be power to pin 16 on the OBD plug. I have none.

One thing I really detest is searching bad wires especially since health issues have made grovelling in the dirt less pleasant than it ever was.

Has anyone run into this on a CRV of the 3rd generation? I assume from searching the net it isn't all that uncommon but no one has an answer other than check the Back Up fuse. It is fine. Checked all fuses in both panels and all are fine. Checked them with a meter just to make sure. Removed and replaced the the ground cable at the battery.

Nothing like troubleshooting the troubleshooting feature before I can find out what the trouble is.

I really don't relish this job so any advice that could shorten it would be very welcome.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I would think it's a scanner issue. I'm not sure if auto parts stores do this in Canada, but in the US many of chain stores will scan your vehicle for free.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If your "code reader" is working, it should display at least generic codes. When you plugged it into the OBDII port, I assume it powered up, which means the power & ground supply are OK. If it's not connecting and displaying codes or data, there's probably a problem with the device. Find someone with a quality scanner. A cheap one is called BlueDriver which was sold on Amazon, etc. for $99 and it comes with free updates whenever they come out. It works with an app on your smartphone and I've tried it and it's pretty good. It does support some other modules besides the PCM (engine controller) on some makes, but primarily domestics. It does support virtually all PCMs (domestic, asian, etc.). However, if I have problems with other modules (ABS, SRS, Body, etc.) then I reach for my Snap-On scanners.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi. all.
I have a 2017 CR-V that has thh check engine light fluctuating and then staying on.

I friend put his OBD reader on it and kept getting an error code "Link Error" or something to that effect. In searching the net I found that there should be power to pin 16 on the OBD plug. I have none.

One thing I really detest is searching bad wires especially since health issues have made grovelling in the dirt less pleasant than it ever was.

Has anyone run into this on a CRV of the 3rd generation? I assume from searching the net it isn't all that uncommon but no one has an answer other than check the Back Up fuse. It is fine. Checked all fuses in both panels and all are fine. Checked them with a meter just to make sure. Removed and replaced the the ground cable at the battery.

Nothing like troubleshooting the troubleshooting feature before I can find out what the trouble is.

I really don't relish this job so any advice that could shorten it would be very welcome.
I believe it means you OBD device is not connecting through BlueTooth as it should. This is a common problem. I had one that almost never worked. I bought a second one and it usually works, but sometimes I have to turn BlueTooth on my phone on and off a couple of times to get them to synch.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts