Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

OBD2 scanner recommendation

8K views 40 replies 9 participants last post by  newuser22 
#1 ·
I'm replacing my Airbag control unit and need to diagnose faulty transmission, specifically torque converter. Is there an OBD scanner on the market in $200-350 range that's capable of clearing aibag light codes and diagnosing transmission? Any advantages in having a bidirectional scanner? I'm not a pro. I follow youtube videos and forums. I can't find any specific info on obd2 scanners and crv torque converter. One scanner i looked at by Autel review doesn't mention transmission diagnostic or anything in detail.

#2 ·
newuser228 said:
I'm replacing my Airbag control unit and need to diagnose faulty transmission, specifically torque converter
While I can not promise this will be the answer, my experience is that returns are painless and simple, just a dropoff to local Whole Foods or Kohls store and the refund shows up instantly.

#3 ·
It's cheaper than a similar Autel i looked at. Bidirectional which i read is good to have but i'm not sure i'll ever use that function. Lifetime update. Small screen but as long as i can output to a PC should be good. How's their customer service? I'd want to keep it if it does what i need it to do. ...just noticed it's only limited to Honda/acura :(
I need something universal.

#4 ·
It's cheaper than a similar Autel i looked at. Bidirectional which i read is good to have but i'm not sure i'll ever use that function. Lifetime update. Small screen but as long as i can output to a PC should be good. How's their customer service? I'd want to keep it if it does what i need it to do. ...just noticed it's only limited to Honda/acura :(
This Foxwell is purchased with Honda software already loaded. You can load other vehicles on it at any time, but there is a fee.

#5 · (Edited)
newuser22 said:

..and..

#6 ·
IMHO, I’d buy a scan tool that advertises “all systems” and “bidirectional control”. The more modern the car is, the more computers there are in the car, the more benefit you gain from a higher end scan tool.

Other than Foxwell, there is also XTOOL and ThinkCar that are offering all systems, bidirectional tools in the $300-$500 range.

#7 ·
IMHO, I’d buy a scan tool that advertises “all systems” and “bidirectional control”. The more modern the car is, the more computers there are in the car, the more benefit you gain from a higher end scan tool.

Other than Foxwell, there is also XTOOL and ThinkCar that are offering all systems, bidirectional tools in the $300-$500 range.
I've looked at those brands. I remember many advertising "all systems" but some reviews said they failed to scan certain modules which were advertised. I don't know if i'll ever be able to afford a new car again and if i will, i want electric. I don't know if any of these scanners are compatible with EV. I can't plan long term.

#10 · (Edited)
$70 Autel Maxi AP200 OBDii scan tool review at Priuschat. Quite sure you cannot clear airbag codes with a consumer scantool. Esp when spending $200-350 scan tool that doesn't do the job. Better to send it off to airbagcenter, reset for $99

Gen2 OBD2 app review | PriusChat

Reactions: williamsji
#21 · (Edited)
No it will not clear itself. Its your $480 SRS module. Good luck. From the above link, how to initialize ODS

A new (uninitialized) ODS unit installed with a faulty OPDS sensor (DTC 86-1x or 86-2x) can cause DTCs 85-71 and 85-78. If the SRS has a hard DTC 86-1x or 86-2x, troubleshoot the DTCs completely before replacing the ODS unit.

You're on your own. Honda HDS dongle $115 get the SP15-C

#23 · (Edited)
I want some kind of scanner that can at least read SRS fault codes so i at least know what needs to be fixed. If such scanner exists in my price range $200-350.
I wouldnt have thought that it would be such a problem finding a scanner that can do SRS. If there was some false advertising on some of the larger market brands (such as snap on, Autel or launch), I would have thought that there would be plenty of internet angst and anger. I’d say Foxwell has been around for a decent amount of time now too. However, Thinkcar and xtool are relatively new brands (And thus they seem to be trying to compete in the market base on price).

Were you looking for hands on experience with a particular scanner? I can say that the Launch x431 Diagun IV can do SRS, I can say that an Autel S509 can not. Both are older models that are no longer made.

#29 ·
I bought a $700 Autel setup off Amazon and have a subscription to keep it updated. Expensive solution but here is why i did it.

I had a tool to read the tpms sensors

I had a tool to set serial numbers for tpms sensors

I had a couple of code scanners I picked up. One at Autozone, one at Shucks. Both read codes, could reset a code or two, or save them to my phone via bluetooth then use some online database to look up what they meant.

neither would read live point in time data.

I finally had a O2 sensor go out so I was running rich, or lean, who knows, but the metered air wasn't right so my mileage went down, my check engine light came on etc. I could read the codes but not clear the CEL.

I also had too many readers and setting tools.

So I broke down and bought the spendy Autel. It does everything quick and easy. I don't have to have all those other devices, just the one is all I need now. I can clear and reset anything I want. It does more than just read codes. I can read instant information while the vehicle is running. I can save and archive point in time readings. I can also really #*()# up the vehicle LOL.

I also have a Toyota Sequoia that it works great on.

I tend to own vehicles for 15 years or so, and being able to do my own troubleshooting and maintenance is important to me. The local Honda dealer has never impressed me when it comes to service.

My first Acura I traded in with 361,000 miles, my CRV which I drive back and forth from Anchorage to Kenai is about 270,000 miles now. Having the right tools goes a long ways - like my vehicles.

#31 ·
I purchased a Foxwell NT650 Elite. My wife's 2012 CRV AWD had a throttle body needing to be reset. This is a two way device and there is a 10% coupon if you purchase through Foxwell. It quickly read all the data on the 2012 CRV and noted the position of the throttle body. I reset it using this device and it was easy as pie. Also checked out all other systems to make sure everything else was ok.

Also used it on my 2015 F150 that had an airbag trouble light show up. I hooked it up and pulled two codes, tool a picture and brought it to my Ford dealer. They got the same exact error code and repaired it. Bottom line this is a quality two way device that easily can determine any problems. It is not the top but does many functions.

#36 ·
I'm just looking for something reputable reliable that can also do SRS and Trans (torque converter). Not familiar with any brands. Just learning now.

I’m going to distract you with a scan tool advertisement. it’s over your budget as it’s about $5k, but just kind of cool to see what features are available out there. Someone over at the elementownersclub.com was recently using a snap on triton scanner for an ABS fault. The Triton is not even snap on’s top of the line scanner, which is the Zeus ($16k)

#41 ·
Just wanted to update when i was inquiring about their scanners they replied fairly quickly. Once ordered and received, support is dead. I asked if i can have the scanner connected while driving. Other questions about transmission. I ran a scan. No fault codes for transmission. I know something's wrong with TC. I can't figure out how to make saved data appear in their app. The manual says printing is possible. If i remove the sd card and put it in PC it's just text which doesn't make sense until it goes through their windows app. May as well go for a cheaper bluetooth reader/scanner and a mobile device. I think this model is overrated. Also very bulky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.