Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
I'm the proud owner of a crv 2.2 ex 2009. Stunning car but a slight problem. Any help appreciated.

Been going great for 2 weeks then 1 day 15 mins after I stopped went to start it and it just turned over not even an attempt at firing up. Got a cheap code reader that found nothing. Got a bump start went instantly going fine since ( use it about 4times a day) then yesterday exactly the same happened and no one about to push it but I had some engine start ( yes I'm old school) gave it a squirt and fired up after about 5 seconds.
There is also a slight smell of diesel so not sure if I have a leak. But going in garage to check soon. Any common faults that might cause this
Ps it's high milage 160.000 but sounds and drives like a 60.000.

Any help advice appreciated
Thanks
Kevin.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey dark Knight thanks for the reply.

It turns over no problem but just doesn't fire up? Would alternator do that if it was a bit iffy. No idea on these new high tech cars lol.

·
Registered
131 Posts
160,000 is middle age for the CR-V and Civic platform lol. When our 2012 had some starting problems, that was when the battery needed to be charged pretty frequently. I had my shop put in a NAPA Legend Pro and it was the best. When was the last time you had the engine filter changed? Also, you could try using a different brand of top tier fuel (only use top tier 87 or 89 (Chevron, Marathon, Mobil etc TOP TIER™ Gasoline Brands).

You could take it into a shop that has ASE techs that work on Hondas and see what they think. Many places don't charge for diagnosis.

On my Mustang, I have 156,000 on it and the alternator is still very strong. My brother's old 205,000 mile Taurus's alternator was still good. I don't know how good Honda's alternators are, but they aren't too expensive to replace if you get the NAPA OE part and have a tech install it.

It may also need a tune up and/or have the computer learning mode reset. I'd just take it in and have a tech look at it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey agent 1074
Fuel wise I always use Costco premium.
It had full service less than month ago when I bought it.
Battery been checked its fine doesn't go flat even after turning thing over for ages the other day before bump starting it.

Ase techs? You got me I'm oldish and have no idea what you mean. Think I need to start learning about these new cars lol

·
Registered
131 Posts
160,000 is middle age for the CR-V and Civic platform lol. When our 2012 had some starting problems, that was when the battery needed to be charged pretty frequently. I had my shop put in a NAPA Legend Pro and it was the best. When was the last time you had the engine filter changed? Also, you could try using a different brand of top tier fuel (only use top tier 87 or 89 (Chevron, Marathon, Mobil etc TOP TIER™ Gasoline Brands).

You could take it into a shop that has ASE techs that work on Hondas and see what they think. Many places don't charge for diagnosis.
Hey agent 1074
Fuel wise I always use Costco premium.
It had full service less than month ago when I bought it.
Battery been checked its fine doesn't go flat even after turning thing over for ages the other day before bump starting it.

Ase techs? You got me I'm oldish and have no idea what you mean. Think I need to start learning about these new cars lol
Call a shop and ask if they have ASE techs that work on Hondas. I don't know how good Costco fuel is, but if it's on that top tier list, it's fine. I'd definitely have an ASE tech look at it. All NAPA Autocare Centers have ASE techs. It does sound like a fuel system issue... hope it's a simple fix :)

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Welshgit said he smelled 'diesel' and a 2.2 is a DIESEL, I believe.
Most of the responders seem to be in the 'gasoline' mentality.
Even Welshgit mentioned that he always gets Premium at Costco. I am not familiar with premium diesel at Costco Pumps.
I am confused. :eek:
Buffalo4

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welshgit said he smelled 'diesel' and a 2.2 is a DIESEL, I believe.
Most of the responders seem to be in the 'gasoline' mentality.
Even Welshgit mentioned that he always gets Premium at Costco. I am not familiar with premium diesel at Costco Pumps.
I am confused. :eek:
Buffalo4
Hi buffalo
Yes Costco premium is diesel. No idea why but that's how they advertise it " premium diesel" ( in Britain)
Assuming they are telling people its decent and not supermarket rubbish :)

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Hi buffalo
Yes Costco premium is diesel. No idea why but that's how they advertise it " premium diesel" ( in Britain)
Assuming they are telling people its decent and not supermarket rubbish :)
Thank you for taking the time to help me understand. :)
Geez, I even failed to see that this IS the Diesel CR-V forum. :eek:
UK-Kev seems to have a good suggestion.
Best of luck and be sure to post back to what worked.
Thanks again,
Buffalo4

·
Administrator
3,404 Posts
FWIW, the OP isn't in the USA, so knows nothing about the US ASE service tech certification.

There is nothing worse than an intermittent problem. Is the starter turning properly and just not firing? If its ok cold but not when hot, that doesn't sounds like a glow plug issue. Rather points towards a fueling issue.
Do you hear the fuel pump when you turn on the ignition? Hot and cold?
Do you know when the fuel filters were changed?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FWIW, the OP isn't in the USA, so knows nothing about the US ASE service tech certification.

There is nothing worse than an intermittent problem. Is the starter turning properly and just not firing? If its ok cold but not when hot, that doesn't sounds like a glow plug issue. Rather points towards a fueling issue.
Do you hear the fuel pump when you turn on the ignition? Hot and cold?
Do you know when the fuel filters were changed?
Rocky its fine when cold it's normaly when trying to start about 30 mins after stopping. Starter fine. Can't hear fuel pump. Apparently all filters were changed last month when I bought it. But I have a new diesel filter in house I might put in anyway. But checked air filter and that's like brand new so assuming they Did do all filters.
But 3 days ago when it went I put my code reader on and everything came up OK. Took a squirt of engine start to get it going.

·
Administrator
3,404 Posts
Rocky its fine when cold it's normaly when trying to start about 30 mins after stopping. Starter fine. Can't hear fuel pump. Apparently all filters were changed last month when I bought it. But I have a new diesel filter in house I might put in anyway. But checked air filter and that's like brand new so assuming they Did do all filters.
But 3 days ago when it went I put my code reader on and everything came up OK. Took a squirt of engine start to get it going.
That fuel pump or the relays that help it is suspect. Have a garage (unless you can) test the fuel pressure when cold and then watch to see it it drops as the car warms up. Here's betting that this issue is why the previous owner decided it was time to move on. Is there a short warranty with the car?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That fuel pump or the relays that help it is suspect. Have a garage (unless you can) test the fuel pressure when cold and then watch to see it it drops as the car warms up. Here's betting that this issue is why the previous owner decided it was time to move on. Is there a short warranty with the car?
NO warranty I bought it of a trader ( he told me there was intermittent starting prob his garage diagnosed diesel pump so he changed it)
Got it very good price so don't mind spending few hundred on it :)
1 owner from new. trader got it direct from Honda. Its immaculate inside and out so been well looked after and all services by Honda ( except last one)
Will get my garage to check relays as you suggested first. Might be an easy fix.

Have to thank everyone for all the replys. Very helpful. hopefully I'm going to be with you all for a long time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi did you get any further with your problem?, Think I have a similar problem on a 2010 I dtec
NO my mechanic closed until after this corona virus lockdown. Hardly use car at moment and it's an occasional non start. I just squirt a bit of engine start in and it fires up on the odd occasion it don't start. But I have got code po339 come up once.
Will let you know once he sorts it out :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Welshgit,i'm going to suggest something else,on the clutch pedal there are 2 switches operated by the pedal,1 is for cruise control,but I don't know what the other is for but I have heard that if the switch does not make,the car will not start.I have the same model as you,mine is just over 100,000.The best source of knowledge is 'you tube' you just put in your fault and up they come with someone showing you how to do it,my favourites are Eric the Car Guy and Chris Fix.I've also just learnt that
shell diesel regular is the best,it will keep your cat clean and give you up to fifty MPG.You can't complain at that even if you
are a Welshgit just don't come over Offa's Dyke.Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Paul your to late :) I've already migrated over the border lol the Mrs is a Derby girl and that's were we live now :) :)
Will deff have a look tomorrow at what you suggest. 99% of the time I stick foot on clutch before starting ( old habit from driving bangers that never had very good handbrake so always left in gear)
Maybe it is something to do with that - will let you know tomorrow tyty.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've now found out that the other switch is in series with the neutral safety switch,it is there to stop people like you starting
with your foot on the clutch or trying to start with out the car being in neutral.Just don't get stuck on the line at a level crossing,no you won't 'cause you won't get there in the first place.HaHa Taf

1 - 20 of 20 Posts