Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2001 CR-V LX
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New CR-V owner. I just picked up a 2001 CR-V LX with 245,000 miles. I purchased the car on eBay and had a friend that lives close go pick it up. I flew up to drive the car home and immediately noticed that the transmission would feel sluggish when starting from a stop (almost felt like it was starting in 2nd gear) but would snap out of it and drive great in every other gear. this only happened about 75% of the time. After giving the car a tune up and picking up stuff to make the drive home (about 50 miles of driving), the car just quit moving. We stopped and let it cool off and it moved again but we decided to rent a truck and trailer and tow the car home. I hauled it straight to my friend's shop and ordered a transmission overhaul kit.
We replaced all of the clutches (some of which were completely trashed), the filter, gaskets, o-rings and cleaned everything well. Put it back together and it drove like brand new. But on my 50 mile drive home, the same issue started again but the check engine light also came on (P0730 incorrect gear ratio). Sluggish in 1st gear after stopping and then fine. Baffled, I removed and cleaned all of the solenoids and drained and filled it with Honda DW-1 again and cleared the check engine light. Took it on a 20 mile test drive and it drove great until it got warm and the sluggish starts came back. This time there was no check engine light.
I know that the internals are good, the solenoids are clean and functioning and the fluid is full and correct. What am I missing?

·
Registered
'98 EX AWD
348 Posts
Where did you get the transmission overhaul kit? That code will set when there's a out-of-spec variation between the input/output shaft sensors, ie. the trans is slipping. Or it's an electrical concern.

·
Registered
2001 CR-V LX
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rockauto. When I cleaned the solenoids, I noticed that the speed sensor by the linear solenoid was partially unplugged. I got it plugged back in and haven't gotten a CEL again. But the problem still existed.
Also, It got a new torque converter with the transmission overhaul.

Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
1999 CRV Lx
723 Posts
What trans. Code is it. MDLA?
Is it fwd ,or awd.
Did you cleaned the valves body and made sure all valves slid in and out smoothly?
That's where they begin to have problems. Also did you used the old valves or got the new redesigned ones. This ones solve some of the problems associated with the old(oem) design.
Btw I would never again will buy from rock auto. I purchase the better more expensive parts and received cheap crap inside the part box corresponding to my purchase. When confronted they said the part is the right one because it's the box that matches my invoice or purchase ( really?) Any how.
Never again.
Just some food for thoughts

·
Registered
2001 CR-V LX
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MDLA FWD and we only cleaned the valves. Everything seems to be moving fine. I didn't realize there was a redesign with the valves. It's been getting better. Im not against pulling it again and replacing the valves. As for the parts. They were exactly what I order. ROCK auto seems to be hit or miss. I've had good luck with them.

·
Registered
1999 CRV Lx
723 Posts
Are all grounds clean? That also might cause the solenoids to act up. Remove one by one and inspect for corrosion and split wires.
just curious.
Does it idles smoothly either hot or cold? Any difference between the two.
Check tps for the correct calibration.
It kind of sounds like a weak vacuum to compensate maybe timing. Check map sensor and vacuum hoses.

·
Registered
2001 CR-V LX
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great suggestions, I will check the grounds and vacuum hoses tonight. As far as idle, it idles fine. I did clean the throttle body when I first got it. It was idling rough. A quick cleaning and it's fine now. Temperature has been good, not too hot or too cold.

·
Registered
2001 CR-V
13 Posts
Good point about the ground connections.
Also, The alignment of the gear position switch down by the drain plug can create the exact problem described, but the driver probably would have noticed the dash indicator ‘D’ would not be lit up correctly. My ‘01 does that sometime. The fact that the tranny has been removed and replaced should rule that out, ‘cuz that switch would have been re-adjusted.

Also, if the switch is set wrong, the reverse relay will sometimes chatter or simply fail to turn on the backup lights . . Same reason.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Off-topic question, but when you had the transmission apart, how was the parking pawl? And was it located on the end of the transmission? My '97's transmission gets stuck in park, inside the transmission. I want to take a look at the parking pawl and I'm thinking I only need to remove that end from the transmission to access it. (In other words, this '97 is too old to bother pulling out and disassembling the transmission, as it works fine otherwise.) I'm guessing there is a burr on the parking pawl, or maybe a tired or broken spring in there.

·
Registered
2001 CR-V LX
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry for the delay but, yes the park pawl is in the outer portion of the trans. Mine is good.
@Curlysback I cleaned the factory grounds. I also added a new ground from the battery to the engine block. I cleaned the battery post too. Now, probably only a coincidence, my range sensor is not registering that it's in park and won't allow me to remove the key unless I disconnect the battery. I've taken it out and looked everywhere and there is no reference mark to determine where it should be set. It looks like an aftermarket part so I'll probably order a genuine part this weekend.

·
Registered
2001 CR-V
13 Posts
RLucio, you need an owners manual. There’s a slot on the top of your shifter cover that should allow you to get the shift lever in and out of PARK. Stick your other key in there and push down, rather hard.
The overall length of the shifter cable is governed by an adjustment right beside your steering tilt lock lever. There’s an access cover. This picture shows how to set it up . . . But I expect you screwed it up at the bottom end, on the tranny.

Text Diagram Drawing Design Font

·
Registered
2001 CR-V LX
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Curlysback I think I failed to explain my issue. The range sensor (gear position switch as you called it) is bad. It's not registering that the transmission is in park and will not allow me to remove the key. The vehicle will start and shift into all gears just fine. But the battery has to be disconnected to release the key. I have attempted to adjust it to no avail. My sensor has no alignment marks like some of the others that I have worked on.
This further makes me suspect that my transmission shifting issue is being caused by the range sensor (maybe not knowing what gear the transmission is in) as you suggested earlier.

·
Registered
2001 CR-V LX
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Ozwald if it was for me, I'd be all about it. But it's for my 16 yo daughter and it's scary enough with her driving an automatic.

I swapped out the neutral safety switch and I can now take the key out. But the transmission issue is still there. I'm starting to think that it's a valve body issue. Everything looked fine during the rebuild but you never know. I'm just gonna keep driving it until the sticky valve quits sticking or the transmission goes completely out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Drive it. Worse case you buy another transmission for $250
Being FWD you do have the option of any b-series transmissions with cable shift.
Thats alot of models accross honda and acura.Each transmission has different gear ratios but i believe they use most of the same core parts

·
Registered
2001 CR-V LX
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, the neutral safety switch is causing the same problem again. The key won't come out of the ignition switch unless I disconnect the battery. The new switch only lasted a day, I'm thinking it's not the switch but a wiring issue.
Anyone have a wiring diagram or pinout for the neutral safety switch?

·
Registered
2001 CR-V
13 Posts
RLucio, are you saying that you still can’t get the key out of the ignition, even if you push a second key down into the release slot on the top of the steering column ?
Disconnecting the battery all the time sounds pretty awkward, not to mention it can screw up your gas mileage and the ‘feel’ of your tranny’s shift points.

·
Registered
2001 CR-V LX
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@Curlysback , I've tried the second key thing but it doesn't work. I'm pretty sure that only releases the shifter, not the key. OZwald sent me the wiring diagram, I'm thinking that there is a corroded or broken wire in the neutral safety circuit. I'll hopefully have some time to work on it this coming week.

@Ozwald, thanks!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts