Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about something on the inside of the odometer where there is trip information, range, mileage...etc are located. There is a display inside the odometer that I do not understand.

It looks something like this:

MPG
0...|...30...|...60

Now, according to how I am driving, whether I am pressing on the gas hard or lightly this bar changes. I have no idea what it means, and the owners manual isn't very clear on it. I would think that it is showing me an average of what I am getting per gallon, but I know im not getting 60MPG on my CR-V.

Can anyone explain this to me please, much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Sounds like it's the little idiot light that shows your "instant" mileage. Not really much more than a novelty in my opinion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is the instantaneous read-out of miles per gallon. So, it tells you your fuel economy at that very moment. When you press on the gas, the bar graph moves down low. Let off the gas, it goes up high. Your other mpg meter is the average mpg which on the 2012s resets whenever you reset your trip meter. There is an average mpg readout for both trip A and trip B, so you can reset one and the other doesn't reset.

I use my instant mpg gauge along with the green eco lights on each side of the speedometer to keep a light footed tact to my driving. If you keep the eco lights bright green most of the time, the vehicle computer is telling you that you are driving more efficiently. Light green is decently efficient and white indicates that you may enjoy visit gas stations more often. The bar-graph instant mpg readout is something I like to use on the highway. My goal is to keep it above 30 mpg. I drove over 300 miles today and averaged 35.2 mpg, which makes me very happy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is the instantaneous read-out of miles per gallon. So, it tells you your fuel economy at that very moment. When you press on the gas, the bar graph moves down low. Let off the gas, it goes up high. Your other mpg meter is the average mpg which on the 2012s resets whenever you reset your trip meter. There is an average mpg readout for both trip A and trip B, so you can reset one and the other doesn't reset.

I use my instant mpg gauge along with the green eco lights on each side of the speedometer to keep a light footed tact to my driving. If you keep the eco lights bright green most of the time, the vehicle computer is telling you that you are driving more efficiently. Light green is decently efficient and white indicates that you may enjoy visit gas stations more often. The bar-graph instant mpg readout is something I like to use on the highway. My goal is to keep it above 30 mpg. I drove over 300 miles today and averaged 35.2 mpg, which makes me very happy.
Gotcha, I will try and keep it above or around 30 for the most part as well, i was just confused that sometimes it can go all the way to 60.... and I know it would not be possible for me to get 60MPG in my CR-V unless I'm driving around in neutral down hill for 10 miles :p

Thanks for the quick responses guys, enjoying my CR-V immensely so far :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fuel efficiency light not working

Hi All,

Sorry for deviating the topic. I just bought a new CRV EX AWD last week and last day I noticed that the light on top of the speedometer (Which changes the color from white to green) depending on how we drive, is constantly white color now. Its not changing to green however I drive. Is anyone facing this issue or any settings where I can customize/enable it again? Appreciate your help on this.

Thanks,
Praveen

·
Registered
844 Posts
Hi All,

Sorry for deviating the topic. I just bought a new CRV EX AWD last week and last day I noticed that the light on top of the speedometer (Which changes the color from white to green) depending on how we drive, is constantly white color now. Its not changing to green however I drive. Is anyone facing this issue or any settings where I can customize/enable it again? Appreciate your help on this.

Thanks,
Praveen
This happens if you keep it in sport mode. Also, below a certain mph it doesn't change.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks @mnestrud for your quick response. I am driving in D mode. Not in S. I will watch mph and let you know. But it was working earlier in the same route I take always.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Still no luck. It is constantly white. I tried different speeds from 25 - 55 mph. Earlier, when we are not accelerating, it used to change to green. Any other settings or is it a fault?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Finally found the solution. You can turn off the ambient eco light. To enable it back, got o Vehicle Settings->Fuel Efficiency Backlight->On. This might be useful for someone who was searching to enable it back. This is not mentioned in user manual as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi undecider .

Thanx for your answer to the MPG display question. I'm also having a display problem , but a bit different my MPG readout was working fine.

But now has vanished . Have you any suggestions on bringing it back to odomenater area
thanks eixip

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a question about something on the inside of the odometer where there is trip information, range, mileage...etc are located. There is a display inside the odometer that I do not understand.

It looks something like this:

MPG
0...|...30...|...60

Now, according to how I am driving, whether I am pressing on the gas hard or lightly this bar changes. I have no idea what it means, and the owners manual isn't very clear on it. I would think that it is showing me an average of what I am getting per gallon, but I know im not getting 60MPG on my CR-V.

Can anyone explain this to me please, much appreciated.
It's like a Vacuum gage, the more demand you put on the engine, the lower it reads, the less demand (Decreasing speed, going downhill) the higher it reads. You will find true mileage and most savings by using cruise control.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
It's like a Vacuum gage, the more demand you put on the engine, the lower it reads, the less demand (Decreasing speed, going downhill) the higher it reads. You will find true mileage and most savings by using cruise control.
Agreed.

The only real value in the instantaneous mpg readout is that it can help you train (or retrain) your driving habits to optimize overall fuel economy.

For example.. moving from a gen3 CRV to a gen5 CRV with the new 1.5Turbo.. I found that my old acceleration habits on my gen3 were not serving well in terms of fuel economy for in town stop and go driving. What I learned is that the gen5 powertrain is most economical for in town driving when you goose it off the stop at an intersection until the vehicle reaches 25+ mph. As soon as you reach that nominal speed, you can ease way back on the throttle and the CVT does all the optimization from there. Whereas easing on the pedal from a stop causes the powertrain to stay low in the instantaneous mpg for much longer. From calculating my fuel economy for in town driving once I made this adjustment, I gained 2-3 mpg consistently per tank of fuel... under essentially the same driving conditions and habits.

I could not have figured this out without the instantaneous mpg indicator.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts