Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2018 CR-V LX AWD (1.5T)
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 CR-V LX AWD (1.5T).. In service for 25 mo. Showing 19,900 km (12,400 mi)

A test today with an ohm meter confirms suspicions about an OEM block heater. With DMM leads connected across the neutral and hot blades of the plug, resistance is infinite. With no continuity at the plug, the block heater is functionally dead.

The plug for the BH is kept capped when not in use. The blades of the plug are not corroded. The plug & cord have not been abused by way of rough handling or drive-away-while-connected events.
  1. Is there a history of Gen-5 CR-V block heaters being short-lived?
  2. Is an OEM block heater covered by factory warranty? By extended warranty?
  3. I have examined the Honda "ENGINE BLOCK HEATER P/N 08T44-SNA-102" document that describes the extensive body trim disassembly necessary to remove front bumper. I assume this is only necessary to install / replace the BH cord, as required. Am I correct in concluding that R&R of the block heater itself can be accomplished from the engine compartment and "only" requires the coolant to be drained and refilled?

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
5,015 Posts

A test today with an ohm meter confirms suspicions about an OEM block heater. With DMM leads connected across the neutral and hot blades of the plug, resistance is infinite. With no continuity at the plug, the block heater is functionally dead.

The plug for the BH is kept capped when not in use. The blades of the plug are not corroded. The plug & cord have not been abused by way of rough handling or drive-away-while-connected events.
  3. I have examined the Honda "ENGINE BLOCK HEATER P/N 08T44-SNA-102" document that describes the extensive body trim disassembly necessary to remove front bumper. I assume this is only necessary to install / replace the BH cord, as required. Am I correct in concluding that R&R of the block heater itself can be accomplished from the engine compartment and "only" requires the coolant to be drained and refilled?
Wouldn't this be covered by Honda as an OEM install, either at the factory or at the dealer? Call your dealer and ask.

No way I would be taking apart my CRV to repair something if it is covered by warranty. Even if it's not covered by warranty, I probably would still have the dealer do it... because you want everything put back correctly and it can be a challenge to dismantle these modern vehicles.. not to mention you need to pay for access to the online maintenance documents.

As for history of block heaters in gen5 CRVs.. this is the first post I have seen about a defective block heater in the forum here.

Good luck with getting this resolved. Be sure and come back and let us know how you resolved it, was it covered by warranty, etc.. as that may help a future member with a similar issue. :)

·
Registered
2018 CR-V LX AWD (1.5T)
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I started this thread on a Saturday afternoon when the dealer service dept was closed. From past experience, the service department is not that forthcoming when they are open.

I am optimistic that this forum is a source for credible warranty information; interpreted with the owner's best interests in mind. rather than those of the dealer and/or manufacturer.

From product literature for the 2018 CR-V, as published by Honda Canada

New Honda Vehicle Warranty. The Honda warranty protection makes Power Train components​
a minor concern with the Honda 5-year/100,000-km No Nonsense Warranty. In addition to the​
Honda 5-year/100,000-km No Nonsense Warranty, you and your new Honda are protected by​
a Honda 3-year/60,000-km Distributor’s Warranty as well as an additional series of warranties​
for such items as emission controls, body corrosion and more.​

I can 't speak for Honda, but other manufacturer's new car warranties did not cover items like oil/coolant changes, spark plugs, accessory drive-belts and so on in the past.

Thus I wonder whether an OEM Honda block heater (already in place before initial delivery) is warrantied and if so, under what provision?

As for installation of the repair part. I am capable of performing the work, but if part replacement and installation is covered by warranty, I certainly have better things to do with my energy.

·
Registered
440 Posts
of course check first and I think it should be covered under warranty.
If not covered, you may be able to reach the cord where it plugs into the actual heater, pull it off and check it vs the heater for continuity? That could be a spot for corrosion and better to just replace the cord vs the heater if that is the problem. I have had block heaters burn out after a couple years of use back in the day when I used one, especially if left running all night and not on a timer.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V LX AWD (1.5T)
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are right, the inboard end of the cable where it attaches to the BH is visible on the forward-facing side of the block just to the left (driver's side) of an aluminum-coloured casting. I did not try at the time, but there appears to sufficient room to reach in to the location and enough slack length to the cable at that point to maneuver the dome-shaped connector out to where DMM leads can be applied. Our community is somewhat sparing in the application of road deicer, vehicle use further limits exposure and the site of the BH appears to be free of debris, but continuity of the cable can't be ruled out until tested..

As mentioned earlier, the body trim and front bumper cover removal described in Honda's installation instructions seems to be undertaken for the purpose of routing the BH cable around the rad support, forward through the cavity between the grill/rad and out through the grill; all to provide convenient access to the BH plug, without having to open the hood.

If it turns out that the BH power cable has failed and that this is NOT covered by warranty; then, rather than disassemble the front of the vehicle, I intend to simply route a new cable to an appropriate location within the engine compartment and resort to opening the hood for access to the plug

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,820 Posts
Time and distance says this is covered by your warranty.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Thus I wonder whether an OEM Honda block heater (already in place before initial delivery) is warrantied and if so, under what provision?
Being an OEM part, and being it was installed before taking delivery of your CRV... it WILL be covered by warranty. The only question is for how long? Will it be for the full 3 year bumper to bumper, or less, or longer is the real question. Most items are covered by the 3/36, and I believe that normally includes dealer installed OEM additions prior to sale.

Dealer should be able to answer this, and if you feel they are giving you the runaround, then escalate to Honda Corporate Customer Service.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V LX AWD (1.5T)
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you to all for the replies. I will call the dealer on Monday.

In my region, a functional block heater is desirable under the BEST of circumstances.

However. With a Honda Gen 5 CR-V and its engine's losing struggle to reach/maintain operating temperature in sub-zero temperatures ( not to mention its self-destructive characteristic of diluting its oil with fuel during cold operation), a working block heater is nothing short of ESSENTIAL for any hope of prolonging the life of a vehicle like ours that spends its entire existence outdoors and serves primarily as an appliance for low speed, moderate distance urban commutes.

·
Registered
2015 CRV AWD EX-L, 2020 CRV AWD Hybrid Touring
146 Posts
In USA, the factory warranty covers all dealer installed genuine Honda accessories purchased with the new vehicle (as part of the original purchase transaction). If you buy the accessories after taking delivery, they are covered for 12mo/12k miles. The block heater would fall in this category in the US assuming it was purchased as part of the original transaction.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
In USA, the factory warranty covers all dealer installed genuine Honda accessories purchased with the new vehicle (as part of the original purchase transaction). If you buy the accessories after taking delivery, they are covered for 12mo/12k miles. The block heater would fall in this category in the US assuming it was purchased as part of the original transaction.
Agreed. Original poster is from Canada though.

Hopefully the warranty for Canadians is the same, but you never know until you inquire. :)

·
Registered
2018 CR-V LX AWD (1.5T)
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I look south with envy and marvel at Automotive Consumer Protection legislation enacted to the benefit of those of you living in the US.

Nothing approaching it in Canada. Not in regions that I am familiar with, anyway.

·
Registered
2015 CRV AWD EX-L, 2020 CRV AWD Hybrid Touring
146 Posts
I look south with envy and marvel at Automotive Consumer Protection legislation enacted to the benefit of those of you living in the US.

Nothing approaching it in Canada. Not in regions that I am familiar with, anyway.
One more question, isn’t the block heater standard equipment in the Canadian market? If so, should be in the factory warranty.

That page states that the warranty in Canada is similar to USA, Says accessories installed at time of purchase are 3yrs, 60,000 km or 12 months, 20km if installed later.

At least you can get Yamaha snow blowers up there. Not available in US market!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Block heater is not standard in Canada but I would not be surprised if dealers automatically add them in certain northern and western locations. I have not needed or used a block heater for many years In my area. Back in the day when winters were colder, cars had carburettors and when I did park outside, I used one. My previous suv (a Nissan XTrail) actually did come with one and I had never used it.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V LX AWD (1.5T)
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A service department rep has advised that block heaters are included under the 3 yr/ 60 km basic warranty - "Subject to inspection." **

Somewhat surprisingly, there are multiple openings tomorrow (12/22) to have the vehicle looked at. Past experience has been 5 - 10 day lead times for appts (even that is still FAR better than Subaru, we made an appt 10 days ago - Jan 7th was the earliest Subaru could offer because of holidays and their practice of carrying little inventory locally.)

Before talking to service, I checked stock with the Honda parts dept. They had both a complete block heater kit, as well as a replacement cord alone on the local shelves. I was told that the parts are used universally across the Honda line-up: only one p/n for each.

One might think that that the large volume produced would result in quite an economical price. If so, one would be mistaken ...

Engine Block Heater .........C$ 133 [Compares with P/N 08T44-SNA-102 .... @ US$ 65 (discounted from US$ 84)]​
Cord Assy, Engine Heater C$ 98 [Compares with P/N 08T44-S5B-10030 @ US$ 48 (discounted from US$ 64)]​

** Place your bets now regarding the service department's determination regarding eligibility for warranty if it turns out anything more is required than wiggling the inboard end of the cord where it joins to the actual BH.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Man that Honda cord is expensive! My bet is that the element burned out esp if you run it all night. They should cover this without any hesitation. Warranty repair is money in their pocket. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
A service department rep has advised that block heaters are included under the 3 yr/ 60 km basic warranty - "Subject to inspection." **

** Place your bets now regarding the service department's determination regarding eligibility for warranty if it turns out anything more is required than wiggling the inboard end of the cord where it joins to the actual BH.
This is normal for any warranty service. Honda requires that dealers inspect and certify that there is no owner or 3rd party induced damage before submitting the warranty work order request for approval by Honda.

So.. unless they find the cable was chewed by rats or something (which would not be covered by warranty) then they will conclude it was a defect related failure and do the warranty service.

Keep in mind.. owners do all kinds of crazy things to their vehicles, intentional or by accident, and then try to hide their actions behind a warranty claim. So.. don't take it personally, as they are simply being prudent and attentive to what is broken and why.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX
14 Posts

Unplug the cord from the heater and check for resistance on the heater terminals, of course if the heater checks out there, you,ll still have to replace the cord.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts