Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a thread some months ago showing the OEM cargo liner installed. As you may know, the OEM cargo liner has three pieces: the piece that covers the rear seat seatbacks and the cargo floor, and one for each of the sides. At the time I had only installed the large piece that lines that seatbacks and cargo floor since it's the easiest to do (no tools, just slip it on the floor panel and velcro against the seat backs.

The side pieces, however, are far more labor intensive because it requires drilling holes into the cargo wall panels in order to install rivets for the buttons of the cargo liners to snap on to. I finally installed these two side pieces and thought I'd share photos and tips on doing it. You can download the instructions online from any number of OEM Honda retailers/dealers. When you order this accessory the box does not include the instructions (as this accessory is not intended for DIY'ers to do) but it does come with paper templates so you know where to drill your holes. If you follow the instructions to a T you might find that the rivets aren't "exactly" where they might need to be for a best fit alignment with the buttons on the liners (the instructions call them "hooks" but I call them "buttons" since they look like "buttons"). The instructions tells you to tape on the templates, use push pins to poke holes into the plastic walls of the cargo bay to identity where to drill, then drill, then install the rivets. Instead, after I taped the templates to the cargo walls I held up the liners against them to double check positioning and instead of drilling all the holes at once I did a few at a time, top ones first, installing the rivets, snapping the liner on, then seeing where the other buttons end up and adjusting as necessary. Anyway, It's not the most glamorous looking accessory, but it does do a good job and the material is nice and thick and it will be sure to protect your cargo bay from even the the roughest/sharpest objects. Fit is as good as it can be for OEM. I questioned why Honda went with something so invasive as the installation of rivets instead of something more forgiving and impermanent like velcro. However, the rivets are not susceptible to heat like the adhesive backing of velcro and when the liners are removed, it's not as unsightly as strips of velcro. You can't see from the photos, but the floor liner is already very scratched up and that's just from Costco purchases and an occasional trip to Home Depot.

My only real criticism of this accessory is that the side pieces only go up to the height of the cargo bay lights. So if you have large objects in the cargo hold it could damage the unprotected areas. I did find other aftermarket cargo liners that are similar to the OEM withe side pieces that go up past the lights, but they are not as custom molded around the wheel wells and instead, just "drape" over, which I think defeats the purpose of purchasing something that is suppose to be custom fit to the vehicle. The pluses are, very nice thick material, custom fit, and the floor portion extends over the rear bumper which, when folded up and attached to the walls via velcro strips, protect the inside of your trunk lid. I've got some landscaping projects up ahead and this upgrade will do wonders for when it comes time to transport those heavy abrasive concrete/brick pavers and stones. Anyway, here are some photos:

IMG_8679.jpg IMG_8680.jpg IMG_8683.jpg IMG_8684.jpg IMG_8688.jpg IMG_8689.jpg

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a photo of the tail piece flipped up:

IMG_8692.jpg

Final note, it's a bit nerve racking to start drilling holes into the interior panels which is why great care needs to be taken when identifying where the holes need to be and that you're using the correct side drill bit. If you go too small, you can always make it bigger, if you go to big, there's not fixing it.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Thank you very much. It's great to see that the Photos are working again and people are doing nice projects and sharing them with us. This will come in real handy and save me some work and time if I decide to install one.

Thanks for your contribution

Rob

·
Everything in Moderation
8,045 Posts
Inquiring minds want to know:

How much wet cement can you fit into a CR-V!:confused2:

Thanks for the pictures. Seriously, is the side 'speaker grill' moisture-proof?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Inquiring minds want to know:

How much wet cement can you fit into a CR-V!:confused2:

Thanks for the pictures. Seriously, is the side 'speaker grill' moisture-proof?
Wet Cement :sweat: In the old days in little Italy they would ask how many bodies :)

Joking aside this is a nice little addition for people who have dogs or people who have wives that are into landscaping and need to carry bags of dirt or pots or plants.

Rob

·
Everything in Moderation
8,045 Posts
this is a nice little addition for people who have dogs or people who have wives that are into landscaping and need to carry bags of dirt or pots or plants.
Agreed...nice accessory! :applause:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The speaker grill is not water proof or water anything. It's just a flimsy mesh fabric. It's kind of cheesy that they didn't make it at least the shape of the actual speaker grill or make it look, well, not so cheesy.

Also the buttons/rivets are incredibly strong, you really have to pull hard to unsnap and remove it.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Just got my rear cargo cover today... not OEM... but what i needed for tailgating.

nice pics here - thanks for sharing!

I discovered my rear seat cargo release handles don't work. never tried them since bought in January. off to dealer on Sat to see if parts need to be ordered for repair. :Darn:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I used a spring retraction rod and placed its ends into the slots where the cargo cover slides into and used plunger type hooks to hold bottom on the 2 floor hooks on each side of front of cargo area.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a creative use of the floor hooks and the cargo area. I'm one of these people that carry around the kitchen sink with me, namely, all sorts of roadside safety gear, spare clothes, you name it and I'm always trying to find efficient and creative ways to stow my things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I posted a thread some months ago showing the OEM cargo liner installed. As you may know, the OEM cargo liner has three pieces: the piece that covers the rear seat seatbacks and the cargo floor, and one for each of the sides. At the time I had only installed the large piece that lines that seatbacks and cargo floor since it's the easiest to do (no tools, just slip it on the floor panel and velcro against the seat backs.

The side pieces, however, are far more labor intensive because it requires drilling holes into the cargo wall panels in order to install rivets for the buttons of the cargo liners to snap on to. I finally installed these two side pieces and thought I'd share photos and tips on doing it. You can download the instructions online from any number of OEM Honda retailers/dealers. When you order this accessory the box does not include the instructions (as this accessory is not intended for DIY'ers to do) but it does come with paper templates so you know where to drill your holes. If you follow the instructions to a T you might find that the rivets aren't "exactly" where they might need to be for a best fit alignment with the buttons on the liners (the instructions call them "hooks" but I call them "buttons" since they look like "buttons"). The instructions tells you to tape on the templates, use push pins to poke holes into the plastic walls of the cargo bay to identity where to drill, then drill, then install the rivets. Instead, after I taped the templates to the cargo walls I held up the liners against them to double check positioning and instead of drilling all the holes at once I did a few at a time, top ones first, installing the rivets, snapping the liner on, then seeing where the other buttons end up and adjusting as necessary. Anyway, It's not the most glamorous looking accessory, but it does do a good job and the material is nice and thick and it will be sure to protect your cargo bay from even the the roughest/sharpest objects. Fit is as good as it can be for OEM. I questioned why Honda went with something so invasive as the installation of rivets instead of something more forgiving and impermanent like velcro. However, the rivets are not susceptible to heat like the adhesive backing of velcro and when the liners are removed, it's not as unsightly as strips of velcro. You can't see from the photos, but the floor liner is already very scratched up and that's just from Costco purchases and an occasional trip to Home Depot.

My only real criticism of this accessory is that the side pieces only go up to the height of the cargo bay lights. So if you have large objects in the cargo hold it could damage the unprotected areas. I did find other aftermarket cargo liners that are similar to the OEM withe side pieces that go up past the lights, but they are not as custom molded around the wheel wells and instead, just "drape" over, which I think defeats the purpose of purchasing something that is suppose to be custom fit to the vehicle. The pluses are, very nice thick material, custom fit, and the floor portion extends over the rear bumper which, when folded up and attached to the walls via velcro strips, protect the inside of your trunk lid. I've got some landscaping projects up ahead and this upgrade will do wonders for when it comes time to transport those heavy abrasive concrete/brick pavers and stones. Anyway, here are some photos:

View attachment 124567 View attachment 124569 View attachment 124571 View attachment 124573 View attachment 124575 View attachment 124577
Your install is one of the few resources out there for this accessory. Thanks for posting in such good detail. I just ordered mine. A little nervous about installing. I am wondering how this has helped from use? Also do the rivets stick out or are they barely noticeable when you don't have the cover on? Thanks.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your install is one of the few resources out there for this accessory. Thanks for posting in such good detail. I just ordered mine. A little nervous about installing. I am wondering how this has helped from use? Also do the rivets stick out or are they barely noticeable when you don't have the cover on? Thanks.
When I see how scratched up the liner is, that gives an idea of how useful it is. Of course, this is only if you care. Some people will probably feel, "...that's what trunk space is for..." meaning, it's a part of the car that's meant to get banged up and scratched up. So for me, it's pretty useful. One thing I like is that the floor piece/flap when opened out, folds over the bumper. Your rear bumper in good or bad weather is a real dirty part of the car and as you access the trunk to take things in/out you may find your legs leaning into the bumper, so the liner helps keep your pants clean.

I have yet to take the liner off since installing it but during the install I did not notice that the rivets stick out much. Plus, they're black in color like the trunk wall so you really don't notice it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I see how scratched up the liner is, that gives an idea of how useful it is. Of course, this is only if you care. Some people will probably feel, "...that's what trunk space is for..." meaning, it's a part of the car that's meant to get banged up and scratched up. So for me, it's pretty useful. One thing I like is that the floor piece/flap when opened out, folds over the bumper. Your rear bumper in good or bad weather is a real dirty part of the car and as you access the trunk to take things in/out you may find your legs leaning into the bumper, so the liner helps keep your pants clean.

I have yet to take the liner off since installing it but during the install I did not notice that the rivets stick out much. Plus, they're black in color like the trunk wall so you really don't notice it.
Haha. yes, don't even try to accidentally lean on the bumper when it snows or rain. i did it once and i learned my lesson..If you have an updated picture I am curious but no pressure i get your message about the scratching from use.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts