Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

When I ordered my 2018 CRV EX a few weeks ago I asked to have a hitch installed so I could cary my bikes behind the car.

The dealer didn't give me any real options for the hitch and only prsented one choice which I got installed. I think it's the 1.25" (see photo attached)

I've checked the other hitch questions in the forum but didn't see an answer to the questions I had so figured I'd ask here

1. What is the metal piece on the left of the hitch? Is this where the wiring/harness go or is it for something else?
2. The hitch came with a metal piece that goes inside the hitch along with a large pin that holds it there I think. No ball was included - is this the normal kit or is something missing?
3. I assume a normal hitch installation doesn't include the wiring/harness - I can't remember how much the hitch cost but probably around 600 CAD or so installed. I assume it would have cost more to have wiring done. Is this easy to add later on? How about transmission cooling? I really doubt I'll ever do anything besides put a bike rack on here but just in case I do one day...

Now for the bikes:
I've been perusing the yakima and thule cataloge and there are SO many different bike carriers. I only need to carry 2 bikes, although sometimes one of them is a 29" full suspension mountain bike. Tray type vs hanging? Are there any that work particularly well with the 2017/18 hatch/lighting/license plate and don't stick out much when folded? (limited parking spot). Easy to put on and off?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would hope for $600 that it would have included the wiring. That's a lot of money.

I bought my own hitch from the internet and installed it myself. Well that's not true, my 12 year old son helped me, but it was pretty straight forward and easy. It took less than an hour.

The one I got was a 2" Class III hitch made by Curt. It's a heavy duty, made in USA hitch, and it was shipped to my house for about $150.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
The Honda trailer hitch harness is a separate part.
I found the following prices for a 2018 CR-V:

Trailer Hitch Kit, Part Number: 08L92-TLA-101: $249.76 (about CAD $325)
Trailer Hitch Harness, Part Number: 08L91-TLA-100: $103.74 (about CAD $135)

So with labor to install, CAD $600 suggests you should have also had the harness installed.
Does your receipt have details?
And if not, it's back to the dealer for them to explain what it was you paid for, and where the harness comes out.
Hitch balls are sold separately, since you have to match the ball size to your trailer.

As for bike racks, the Honda hitch is a 1 1/4" hitch so you're limited to bike racks that fit a 1 1/4" hitch.
I found several 2-bike racks for a 1 1/4" hitch, and several that can fold away from the tailgate, like this one on eTrailer.com:

https://goo.gl/fuoaSG

·
Registered
631 Posts
That hitch looks low to the pavement?,,,,Our Dealer wanted 1,100.00 installed with wiring?....not sure what that piece of metal is ,,but both Honda hitch over here have them?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I checked my receipt. $542 CAD (415 USD) installed for the hitch. So I guess that wouldn't include the harness and transmission cooling??

I have no idea what class hitch this even is. Given the CRV can only tow 1500lbs I assume it's class I. It's surprising how little information is provided by Honda about the accessory.

I'm not sure if it's too low to the ground as I haven't seen any other CRV's around with the factor hitch yet. What I do like is the fact that you can't see any cross bar like some of the after market hitches.

Still unsure what that side metal is...

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
At $542 CAD it probably included the harness, but definitely not a transmission cooler. I'm not sure that Honda offers a trans cooler for the CR-V.

The issue is not whether it's a Class I or Class II hitch, it's about how much the CR-V is able to tow.
Honda only rates the CR-V as being able to tow a 1,500 lb trailer, which includes the weight of the trailer itself plus whatever you load into it.

Curt makes a Class III trailer hitch for the CR-V rated at 3,500 lbs, but that does not mean the CR-V is able to tow, or more importantly, stop a trailer that heavy.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I did a few searches on CR-V transmission coolers, and found several on etrailer.com.
But I also found this:

Q. if we install a transmission cooler in our 2006 Honda CRV will we be able to increase our towing weight? Our Honda book says we can only pull 1500 lbs? We also have a full hitch attached to the car frame and electric brakes.

A. A transmission cooler, such as the Derale Transmission Cooler # D13503, will not increase the towing capacity of your vehicle. Transmission coolers are designed to help improve your CR-V's overall performance and will help prolong the life of your transmission by further cooling the transmission fluid. If you plan on towing with your CR-V, I highly recommend using a transmission cooler in your vehicle to extend the life of your transmission.

There are no towing components that will increase your vehicle's towing capacity. The maximum total trailer weight listed in your owner's manual is the max you should tow with your vehicle.
https://www.etrailer.com/question-130966.html

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I did a few searches on CR-V transmission coolers, and found several on etrailer.com.
But I also found this:

https://www.etrailer.com/question-130966.html
The 5Th Gen CR-V has a CVT, which of course if totally different than the 2006 in your quote. There is a thread here somewhere where CVT transmission coolers are discussed. I don't have time right now to search for it. Going out to dinner now with daughter, wife and mother. Three generations.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Best I can tell, there’s are no provisions on the USA Honda CVT to add a auxiliary cooler. A forum member in New Zealand says their CVTs have the provisions to install an auxiliary cooler and the dealership says Honda requires them to install the cooler when they install a hitch. USA got robbed.

Auxiliary tranny coolers may be found at etrailer, at your local auto parts stores, lots of places online.........but good luck connecting it to the CVT.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I checked my receipt. $542 CAD (415 USD) installed for the hitch. So I guess that wouldn't include the harness and transmission cooling??

I have no idea what class hitch this even is. Given the CRV can only tow 1500lbs I assume it's class I. It's surprising how little information is provided by Honda about the accessory.

I'm not sure if it's too low to the ground as I haven't seen any other CRV's around with the factor hitch yet. What I do like is the fact that you can't see any cross bar like some of the after market hitches.

Still unsure what that side metal is...
I have the factory hitch on my 2018 Touring. The side piece is where the trailer light harness plug mounts to the hitch if you had that harness installed. The lowest point on mine are the safety chain attachment points at 12" above the ground.

I agree with you, it's a nice tidy installation without a big cross bar showing. Unless you already have a bike rack or some other accessory that needs a 2" receiver, I don't see much point in installing a Class III hitch since as pointed out, the CR-V is only rated for 1,500 pounds towing capacity and a Class I hitch is rated at 2,000 lbs while a Class II has a 3,500 lb capacity. Put a Class III on there and all you are doing is carting around a bunch of extra weight unless you absolutely need that 2" receiver.

I've got a Yakima Highlite that is 1-1/4 and works pretty good. Locks solidly in place, tilts down so I can access the hatch. I don't see that model on the Yakima website anymore but it looks similar to the Ridgeback which you can get in a 2 bike model

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
About the only reason to install a Class III hitch is because the Curt C13397 2” tucks up under/hides the best and is the cleanest looking installation of them all........not to mention much more versatility of the 2” over the 1 1/4” receiver.

I much prefer to have the light plug stored in the spare tire well - out of nasty wet corrosive conditions that the hitch lives in 24/7.:nod:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I much prefer to have the light plug stored in the spare tire well - out of nasty wet corrosive conditions that the hitch lives in 24/7.:nod:
Says the guy whose location says West Texas Desert. Rains 24/7 there, does it? :eek:

Been here in FL for 7 years and had this type of connector on both by RDX for 5 years and as long as you keep the rubber plug in them, they are just fine. And it does rain a lot in FL. We've had around 40" year to date in Central FL. That's about double Amarillo or Lubbock's whole year. (Used to live in Clovis, NM, they are near and dear to my heart as they were our closest "city")

I agree that the Curt hitch doesn't have the cross bar showing, it's about on par with the OEM hitch in that respect so it does look good if you really want a 2" receiver.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Your luck may be running out. High and dry is always preferable.:thumb: And like I said, it’s my preference.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes the metal bracket is for the wiring harness. If i remember correctly it cost me about $280 to buy/have installed the wiring harness. I received the same kit you did, no ball.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the after market draw tite also installed on my 2018, since I wanted a 2" receiver hitch. I then got the slide in ball mount with about a 6 or 7 inch rise so it would match the height of my utility trailer. Came out good. Very happy with it.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
How about a pic or 2 all hitched up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
About the only reason to install a Class III hitch is because the Curt C13397 2” tucks up under/hides the best and is the cleanest looking installation of them all........not to mention much more versatility of the 2” over the 1 1/4” receiver.

Agree that that Curt hitch hides the best...much better looking than the Draw-Tite.
I am looking to buy a new CRV and have that Curt installed (see my related question from earlier today in Shoppin and Test Drivin' forum headlined "After market hitch on CR-V Touring??").
But I an not clear: what is involved in wiring the 4-pin harness?
I got a quote for the Curt hitch install, but didn't ask about wiring in a harness...what should I expect for the cost?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts