Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I installed my Honda OEM Splash Guards today. I have a question on the two front splash guards upper outer screws. Are those supposed to get tight, or only hand tight? It seems they keep never-ending screwing in without any tension. I definitely do not want to strip the threads.

Thanks in advance!

2017 Gunmetal Touring AWD

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
They should all be able to tight, sometimes the metal clip/nut behind it falls out or is missing and will spin

i installed my sport bumper in the back today and had to pull off the splash guards.
If you're missing and of those back clips they wont "CLAMP' down and spin forever

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
They should all be able to tight, sometimes the metal clip/nut behind it falls out or is missing and will spin

i installed my sport bumper in the back today and had to pull off the splash guards.
If you're missing and of those back clips they wont "CLAMP' down and spin forever
Thank you for the post. I am more worried about the front top screw. Are these completely tight on your CRV, or are they slightly loose? All of my other screws are completely tight.

See pic:

pic.jpg

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Thank you for the post. I am more worried about the front top screw. Are these completely tight on your CRV, or are they slightly loose? All of my other screws are completely tight.

See pic:

View attachment 117898

Thanks.
All completely tight.
Another user had this issue n posted it, i read before i got mine.
When mine came i didnt have an issue , you can get those little clamps cheap, not sure if honda sells them ... i think they are called ‘spring clips’

·
Registered
123 Posts
Where they tight when you unscrewed them? If so perhaps the spring clips fell out of position and may still be there. I recently installed a set and the screws were tight to remove and went back tight. They shouldn't spin.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where they tight when you unscrewed them? If so perhaps the spring clips fell out of position and may still be there. I recently installed a set and the screws were tight to remove and went back tight. They shouldn't spin.
Yes, the two bottom screws were tight when I unscrewed them. I am referring to the top screw, the one that requires to use a push pin and then screw straight in. There was no spring clip that I could see for those two screws. Please advise. Thanks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes, the two bottom screws were tight when I unscrewed them. I am referring to the top screw, the one that requires to use a push pin and then screw straight in. There was no spring clip that I could see for those two screws. Please advise. Thanks.
Sounds like yours is different than my '98 which used three existing screws neither of which used a push pin, it was just unscrew all three, line up the flap and screw all three back in. All went back in tight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just installed mine last week and that screw is tight. Are you sure that you used the correct screw? If so maybe you over tightened it and it stript.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are you referring to step 1 on the PDF instruction?

I just did my 2018 CRV LX with some cheap eBay splash guard, and I can confirm the front flap top screw don't have any spring nut, most likely you strip the plastic, just take it off and add some RTV silicone or glue and it should hold up.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yup. Stripped one of my fronts as well. Mine is OEM. Good idea about glue. Never do it again. Very tight area and low is not a geat combo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts